Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62

Thread: Hemming Shorts

  1. #11
    Varsity Member APinNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    I do it all the time to my shorts. I even cut off old chinos and hem them occasionally
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    Yeah, at 12", "a touch shorter," should mean 5" shorter, unless you're like over 6'2".
    That's showing too much leg for my taste. Just personal preference. Also I just purchased shorts for the first time in years, and shorts were being worn at a longer length back then.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by APinNC View Post
    I do it all the time to my shorts. I even cut off old chinos and hem them occasionally
    I would think it would be more common. When I googled it barely any info was on the subject.

  4. #14
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Totally agree. Anything under 9", let alone 7" is too much leg. 10" is my sweet spot.

  5. #15
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    Totally agree. Anything under 9", let alone 7" is too much leg. 10" is my sweet spot.
    7" and shorter seems to be the fashionable trend. If you look at Bonobos offerings for example, they go 5, 7, 9, 11. Personally I prefer 9, but I've seen guys pull of the shorter look really well

  6. #16
    Varsity Member Rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    It's all about proportion (like most things clothing related). I'm 6' with a tall head and torso, and a 30" inseam. I have some 6" Lands' End shorts that visually lengthen my legs.

  7. #17
    Varsity Member JDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I just had two pair of 10" shorts hemmed to 7 inch inseam. The tailor didn't bat an eye. I think it was about $10 each.

  8. #18
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,659
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    Totally agree. Anything under 9", let alone 7" is too much leg. 10" is my sweet spot.
    This is bizarre to me. I may not be super tall (5'9", 31" inseam) but I'm hardly a munchkin, and a 5" short still hits solidly mid-thigh for me. Anything longer than 7" and I feel like I've swaddled my knees in fabric and I might as well just be wearing pants. My Chubbies shorts have about a 5" inseam and they are hardly hot pants on me:



    For swim trunks I'm comfortable going even shorter, 3.5-4.5". My favorite swim trunks by far are a pair of 4.5" Sundeks I recently found on sale.

    Ben

  9. #19
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    This is bizarre to me. I may not be super tall (5'9", 31" inseam) but I'm hardly a munchkin, and a 5" short still hits solidly mid-thigh for me. Anything longer than 7" and I feel like I've swaddled my knees in fabric and I might as well just be wearing pants. My Chubbies shorts have about a 5" inseam and they are hardly hot pants on me:



    For swim trunks I'm comfortable going even shorter, 3.5-4.5". My favorite swim trunks by far are a pair of 4.5" Sundeks I recently found on sale.

    Just personal preference I guess but everything you pictured is much too short in my opinion.

    Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    This is bizarre to me. I may not be super tall (5'9", 31" inseam) but I'm hardly a munchkin, and a 5" short still hits solidly mid-thigh for me. Anything longer than 7" and I feel like I've swaddled my knees in fabric and I might as well just be wearing pants. My Chubbies shorts have about a 5" inseam and they are hardly hot pants on me:



    For swim trunks I'm comfortable going even shorter, 3.5-4.5". My favorite swim trunks by far are a pair of 4.5" Sundeks I recently found on sale.

    Looks good to me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •