Thread: Battle of the Crews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Battle of the Crews.

Gentlemen, I have a dilemma. I have a wedding coming up in August in the state of Texas. I've lived there so I'm well aware of the 100 degree blast that's about to dawn on me. Now j crew has a sale of their Italian cotton suit that would come out to 276 total. I would get it in the anchor gray shade so I can use it for work down here in Florida.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...an-chino/A0498

Yet j crew factory has a cotton linen suit that i can get for 190 with my student discount. It is also in gray. I checked the fit of the Italian chino at j crew yesterday and it fit very week off the rack, enough to where I could probably skip the tailor for a while. Which would y'all pick? Need to grab it by the end of the day for the deal on J crew retail.

https://factory.jcrew.com/browse/mul...&bmUID=ljPMmep

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I've enjoyed most of the items I have purchased from JCF and feel like for the price they were a good buy. However, my experience has been that items I've gotten from JC have been made with noticeably higher quality materials and construction. For something like a suit that you will most likely want to wear for years to come and want to look your best while wearing it, my philosophy has always been buy the best quality you can comfortably afford. My pick would probably be the J Crew suit, the two things that could change that are fit and budget. Have you tried the J Crew one on yet? Fit is huge, if the JCF fits your body type noticeably better than the JC that would change my pick. As for budget, I have no idea what your finances are like, if going for the more expensive suit is going to strain things (especially considering it might need a tailoring) I would go with the JCF, it will certainly get the job done for you and the quality difference I feel is small enough that it is not worth messing up your finances for.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    If you don't think you will wear it much, go the JCF route.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    There's a huge uptick in quality, esp. durability and breathability, between JCF Thompsons and JC Ludlows. I'd say the JC Ludlow is easily worth the extra $80 assuming you're planning to keep the suit for a few years and wear it semi-regularly during the summer. If it's an Occasion Piece (i.e. you're planning to wear it once a summer to weddings) I'd say save the eighty bucks and go with the JCF Thompson.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Also, it matters a LOT that the JC Ludlow is only partially lined (and in Bemberg) versus the JCF Thompson's full lining (in probably acetate?)

If sweating is a thing you're worried about, you'll probably sweat a lot more in the JCF Thompson.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1517 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    If you don't think you will wear it much, go the JCF route.
    This ^^ I too have noticed that the quality of JC tends to be higher than JCF. If you think the suit will make in to your daily/weekly rotation, then JC is the way to go. Otherwise, pick up the suit from JCF and call it a day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)
    Oddly, I feel like the quality of the material matters more for a cotton suit than a wool one. Even cheap wool will usually look alright, but cheap cotton can look awful. I'd go with the JC option.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I have that JCF suit in the grey slub linen/cotton. It's an awesome suit. I get tons of compliments on mine. I posted some pictures on here somewhere a few weeks back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I've tried on the JC and it fits very well. It won't need too much tailoring, and I'm not able to try the factory version unfortunately. The $80 is.. I wouldn't say negligible but available to use on the suit. Especially if in the long run it will hold up. Like I said I wanted to use this for the wedding and for the office (in Florida we have like 4-6 weeks of "cold") and honestly the suit would still be plenty enough to keep me comfortable. I'll probably go with the J crew retail. Thanks for the insight!