Thread: Horizontal crotch lines. What's wrong with the fit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Horizontal crotch lines. What's wrong with the fit?

Just got some Land's End Tailored Fit Year'rounder Wool Dress Pants. The 33" waist is perfect and the legs and seat feel fine, but I get horizontal crotch lines when standing and a camel-toe when sitting. What's wrong with the fit? Do I need a bigger seat, bigger rise, etc.? Something more like the regular fit?

Any suggestions on similar wool trousers that offer a better fit for an athletic guy?

Thanks,

mistabutters
    Picture would help. I had to return a pair of selvedge denim recently because I got vertical crotch lines and camel toe. I thought maybe it would go away when they were broken in, but I wasn't going to risk it.

I think horizontal crotch lines are an effect of slim fit pants, sort of like the "X" on a sportcoat button that's too snug.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    My experience has been that it's caused by a) the front panel of the pants being stretched too tightly from hip seam to hip seam and/or b) the rise being too short. Either one will not allow the pants to hang correctly at the front. Couple of questions: are they hard to zip up or is there a bit of a gap at the top of the zipper? Do the pockets flare out?

And at the risk of being "that guy", I think the technical term is "moose knuckle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    My experience has been that it's caused by a) the front panel of the pants being stretched too tightly from hip seam to hip seam and/or b) the rise being too short. Either one will not allow the pants to hang correctly at the front. Couple of questions: are they hard to zip up or is there a bit of a gap at the top of the zipper? Do the pockets flare out?

And at the risk of being "that guy", I think the technical term is "moose knuckle"
    They zip up easily and no pocket flare, to my eye. They do seem to be pulled tight across the front.

Lol. I stand corrected. . . . Moose knuckle when I sit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    From my experience its because the thighs are too tight. I just sucked it up and admitted I needed a larger waist than I thought. solved the problem. dont know what the technical term is.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    High probability that the rise is too short, causing the crotch to be too high. Sometimes the crotch can be deepened depending on the available material inside. I'm having this done on a custom BB suit I recently received where I experienced the same problem as you.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    If you are like me, and have a bit more junk in trunk than the average guy, this happens. The extra fabric needed for the seat is pulled back through the crotch area, resulting in "moose knuckle" and adds additional tightness to the front of the pants. Not enough fabric across front from hip to hip is also an issue, and the two make each other worse. Look into specifically "athletic fit" pants. They will be your best bet. The only other option is to increase the waist size, which leaves you with a ridiculous wad of extra fabric at the waist band in the center back. I've had limited success getting a seamstress to take in the waist band without reducing the seat, but it does help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So, I exchanged the Tailored Fit Year'rounder for traditional fit Year'rounders. Not a bad fit while standing. Maybe a bit tight across the front panel. But, sitting is a no go. No way I could spend any length of time seated without testicular injury. Granted, I don't normally wear these kind of pants, but there has to be a better way!

Any good athletic fit or spandex blend suggestions? I like the idea of all light weight wool, since its 120 degrees here right now, but my genitals are open to suggestions.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azfnp View Post
    So, I exchanged the Tailored Fit Year'rounder for traditional fit Year'rounders. Not a bad fit while standing. Maybe a bit tight across the front panel. But, sitting is a no go. No way I could spend any length of time seated without testicular injury. Granted, I don't normally wear these kind of pants, but there has to be a better way!

Any good athletic fit or spandex blend suggestions? I like the idea of all light weight wool, since its 120 degrees here right now, but my genitals are open to suggestions.
    Either a fuller cut or pleats (God forbid!)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azfnp View Post
    Any good athletic fit or spandex blend suggestions?
    If you like the LE fit except that it's too tight in the seat/hips, I would consider sizing up and having the waist taken in. That's a job any decent tailor should be able to do.