Thread: Inherited Seamaster 300

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

Inherited Seamaster 300

Hey all,

Yesterday I inherited this Omega Seamaster 300 from my grandfather, and while it still runs like a charm (I believe it's quartz, based on my [very] limited knowledge), it needs a polish on the crystal and all the metal, replaced parts on the bracelet ends, (as seen in the pictures), several links removed, and water seals replaced (can you do that?). I'm going to call both watch shops in Arlington (where I am currently. There are no good watch shops in Alaska), to get an estimate tomorrow, and I was wondering if the forum watch community had any suggestions as to my intended repairs and anything else that I should do to take care of it. Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: thanks to you lovely people, I know realize it's an automatic.
    Pics below:

Last edited by Terminado; June 11th, 2016 at 11:16 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    One more picture:
    Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    The only think I can help with is to confirm that it's an automatic; says so on the face right under 'Omega'. Anyway, best of luck!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesbury View Post
    The only think I can help with is to confirm that it's an automatic; says so on the face right under 'Omega'. Anyway, best of luck!
    Thank you! I can't believe I didn't notice that, I looked at the case back but not the face. D'oh.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    I have no suggestions for you but that is a very nice watch. I think you'll enjoy it for years to come.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I don't think it's Quartz, it says on the face "Automatic". A good watch shop can polish the case and crystal, and service the watch which usually includes replacing the seals and such. I had an older Tag done last year and it was around $400.

Also, if that's the original band, you can get that polished as well. You might consider swapping the metal band for leather, it will let you keep the wear and tear off the original, which is hard to replace.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    http://thatwatchandmore.blogspot.com...aster-300.html

That might be a helpful resource for learning more about your watch

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    I don't think it's Quartz, it says on the face "Automatic". A good watch shop can polish the case and crystal, and service the watch which usually includes replacing the seals and such. I had an older Tag done last year and it was around $400.

Also, if that's the original band, you can get that polished as well. You might consider swapping the metal band for leather, it will let you keep the wear and tear off the original, which is hard to replace.
    Thanks man! Amesbury set me straight last night on the mechanism of the watch.
    Alright, now I know exactly what today get done, plus getting a couple links off the band, which is (happily) an original.
    That's a good suggestion, I hadn't necessarily thought of that. I will, as well as maybe picking up some NATOs for variety.

@DocDave
    I was a bit stunned to receive it. Even unpolished it's absolutely gorgeous.

@Token
    I'll check it out. Thank you!
    Last edited by Terminado; June 11th, 2016 at 11:15 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminado View Post
    Thanks man! Amesbury set me straight last night on the mechanism of the watch.
    Alright, now I know exactly what today get done, plus getting a couple links off the band, which is (happily) an original.
    That's a good suggestion, I hadn't necessarily thought of that. I will, as well as maybe picking up some NATOs for variety.
    You're welcome. I'd even suggest a leather band if you want to keep a little bit of formality. Enjoy, that's a very nice watch with some history.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    @Chadanth
    One more thing...I've never owned an automatic watch before, and this one does not appear to hand wind. Any ideas what the winding mechanism might be?