Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help spending $200 at AE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Help spending $200 at AE

I sent my bourbon MacGregors in for inspection a few weeks ago. They were a year old, purchased as factory seconds and looked fine, but a lump started to develop in one of the footbeds as they broke in. AE tried to exchange for a new pair but they only had one pair left in bourbon and they looked TERRIBLE. So AE is sending me a gift card for my original purchase price of $200.

Kind of frustrating because the bourbon MacGregors were great--not too light (I'm not a fan of walnut), and very versatile.
    I currently own black Lexington wingtips, dark brown strands, chili Daltons, oxblood MacGregors and brown long branches.

So, what should I spend my $200 on? Im considering the Lasalles that are on clearance. I know strands are on sale but I don't love walnut, nor do I want cornwallis'. Would prefer something a little more casual leaning. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Bourbon Mora 2.0s.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Agreed on Mora, agreed on bourbon. They dress up, they dress down, they go with everything.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Cornwallis brown or chilli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    What size are you? If they'll let you use the voucher at the Shoebank - I assume they will, given the bourbon Mora suggestions, as they're long gone from the main stores/website, too - then you might well be able to find another bourbon McGregor for $137. You could even pick up that and a chili McGregor for another $137, and only have to pay $74 out of pocket for the two shoes.

Or a bourbon McAllister for $177, again depending on size.

I know that it's hard to trawl through the Shoebank website these days, given that they only list 18 pairs at a time nowadays. Not sure what's up with that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    Bourbon McAllisters are great (I say this as an owner).

I am a huge fan of NSTs like the LaSalle, but that particular shoe seems to be oddly proportioned. I'd look elsewhere for my NST.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Don't mean to highjack this thread but is the heel coming off normal wear after a year? http://m.imgur.com/ZbHbNg1,GGSzZW8

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    Don't mean to highjack this thread but is the heel coming off normal wear after a year? http://m.imgur.com/ZbHbNg1,GGSzZW8
    It's unusual but not totally out of the question, especially if "normal wear" means some combination of "at least once every other day," "splashing around in the rain/slogging through the snow," "living in Wisconsin/Minnesota/New York" and similar. If I were you I'd take it to your local cobbler and have them touch it up with glue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant View Post
    It's unusual but not totally out of the question, especially if "normal wear" means some combination of "at least once every other day," "splashing around in the rain/slogging through the snow," "living in Wisconsin/Minnesota/New York" and similar. If I were you I'd take it to your local cobbler and have them touch it up with glue.
    Normal wear is once a week or once every other week. Rarely in the rain. No snow. Outdoors walking about 2-3 mins per wear.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    Normal wear is once a week or once every other week. Rarely in the rain. No snow. Outdoors walking about 2-3 mins per wear.
    Then I'd say that's abnormal. My Daltons have been through real heavy wear and their heels are fine two years in. =/