Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suit pants died - what to do with the widowed/orphaned suit jacket?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

Suit pants died - what to do with the widowed/orphaned suit jacket?

The suit pants bit the dust, but I like the jacket enough that I want to try and keep it in my rotation.

I found a similar thread on AAAC or Styleforum, which suggested switching out for smoked mother of pearl buttons and wearing with dark jeans/khakis; however, the jacket was a charcoal grey, whereas mine is a subtle grey glen plaid, sort of like this:

http://www.indochino.com/product/ste...len-plaid-suit

or

http://www.harrysuits.com/suits/all_...pure_wool_suit

If I wanted to wear them in a business casual setting, could I wear them with some navy wool trousers? What else could I wear them with? Any other thoughts about what alterations could make it more of a blazer - would it be possible to alter from flap pockets into patch pockets using fabric from the pants?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1096 Post(s)
    That is tough. I have never heard of altering jacket pockets before but my suggestion on the buttons would be to make them lean more casual if you want to use it as a sport coat. Some in a brown that shows contrast like on this navy SuitSupply sport coat. The fabric will still be fine suiting fabric but if you are ok with that then try the contrasting buttons.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    The pattern is subtle, but at least it's not a solid fabric. Mother-of-pearl buttons would work, or brown horn. You definitely want something with contrast. Consider adding elbow patches to make it more of a sport coat. That would be simpler and cheaper than changing the pockets.

As for what to wear with the jacket - jeans, navy/ light grey/ olive pants would all work.

Of course, it's still a suit jacket, which will horrify the purists. The other 99.5% of the population won't know or care.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)
    Blazers traditionally have contrasting buttons. Adding mother of pearl (or brown horn) would make it more blazer-esque. I’d be hesitant about the patch pockets—unless you have a very talented alterations tailor. Matching plaid is difficult. It could work with jeans and khakis. Navy trousers would be riskier.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windmill View Post
    Consider adding elbow patches to make it more of a sport coat.
    Good idea with the elbow patches! I never would've thought of that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Even before I got to the end of the original post I was thinking "hmm...maybe the trouser fabric can be used to create patch pockets". You are thinking in the right direction. The idea would be to make the jacket look more casual, however possible. Different buttons might help somewhat. I have to wonder how the shoulders are currently, if they are fairly structured. If so, I'm not sure if any surgery could be performed to make them softer and more casual, and that would probably be quite risky. The fact that the jacket is patterned will help differentiate it from solid trousers though, and you'll want to go lighter, so pair this jacket with mid to light grey trousers, or not quite navy trousers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windmill View Post
    Of course, it's still a suit jacket, which will horrify the purists. The other 99.5% of the population won't know or care.
    Nailed it, man. The only time I see this mentioned is on men's style forums. I'm almost positive that I've seen guys inn public wearing a suit jacket with jeans or other pants, but I'm absolutely positive that I didn't care.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    i think it's unfortunate, but the way J Crew's patterns and marketing work, nearly everything they have that looks they say is a "blazer" is essentially the same cut as their things they call "suit jackets".

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    With glen plaid, nobody will know. Pair it with whatever. Jeans would probably work great.

Post a picture in a couple of weeks. See if we even notice.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1096 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i think it's unfortunate, but the way J Crew's patterns and marketing work, nearly everything they have that looks they say is a "blazer" is essentially the same cut as their things they call "suit jackets".
    I agree. People see the fit first which is a huge hurdle because a lot of people can't even get that right then after fit they look for a color.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmichaelray View Post
    With glen plaid, nobody will know. Pair it with whatever. Jeans would probably work great.

Post a picture in a couple of weeks. See if we even notice.
    HA! So true.