Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polished watches?? Help please

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)

Polished watches?? Help please

Hello.

On my internet travels I have seen some watches for sale where the seller has advertised that the watch/case has been polished. Presumably this is to get rid of any nicks/scratches, etc.

My question though, is this a big deal? Would a polished watch stop you/someone from purchasing a used watch? If so, why or why not?

I tried a quick search on the WuS forums on this topic but came up empty, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    I don't like watches with a high shine. I have intentionally brushed the polished finish off of most of mine that had it. Polishing to get small nicks out or restore it to factory finish isn't usually a big deal though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Doc, are these vintage watch listings? Polishing the case removes the original finish and whatever wabi has accumulated over time, which is undesirable for a lot of collectors. It can definitely affect the value of the watch. Here's a good example:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...get-a-good-one

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1101 Post(s)
    Depending on the watch, this is a big deal. On rare and valuable pieces, the watch is worth more unpolished than polished. Polishing steel and gold watch removes some of the metal so depending on who did the polishing, a lot of metal may be removed. This can visually narrow the lugs over time or get rid of edges so they are more rounded. Vintage Rolex Sub's had narrower lugs than today so when polished the lugs looked extra narrow. I would only trust a Service Center to do the polishing as it will be restored to factory specs. The worst offenders are the inexperienced gray dealer types or local watch shops.

If the watch you are looking at was pretty mass produced and not one of the rarer versions, polished watches can be a way of saving some money as purists skip over them. I would be okay with that. It is sort of like finding a vintage watch with boxes and papers and one without. You can save some money if you trust the seller of the no box and papers watch vs. the one with.

Here you can see the watch on the left has been polished vs. the watch on the right. Narrower lugs and loss of some edges.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    i like when they take the scratches out of the sapphire only. i say leave them in the body.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    I wasn't event thinking of vintage watches. I would rather have the patina personally.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)
    Thank you everyone. Most helpful (as always on the forums here).

I was learning towards not purchasing a watch that had been polished, but wanted to make sure my thinking was correct.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Thank you everyone. Most helpful (as always on the forums here).

I was learning towards not purchasing a watch that had been polished, but wanted to make sure my thinking was correct.
    Everything up top is true. In my opinion, so long as you aren't purchasing for a collector's item / investment (which typically comes with a nasty premium for those types of models and aren't really great investments), then a little polishing doesn't hurt. As shown on that GMT above, a lot of polishing can change how the watch looks, somewhat akin to people getting plastic surgery (might look smoother after, but you won't look same as new). You can also see differences on some Speedys (since we've talked about those in the past) on the lug angles for those that have been polished.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Polish watch? Why you want Polish watch? Much better to have Romanian watch.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hauttedoggie View Post
    Polish watch? Why you want Polish watch? Much better to have Romanian watch.
    And this post just made my day ....