Thread: Jack Erwin Loafers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Jack Erwin Loafers

Recently returned a pair of Allen Edmond's Ascher due to non-stop squeaking. Looking at Jack Erwin Charlie or Archie as a replacement. I tried Jack Erwin Abe about three years ago when they still did UK sizing and was not really impressed. Does anyone have recent input on either? I'm curious to know if the quality has improved with time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Hello! I've had the Archie - the Abe with goodyear welt. Here it is after a about a year's worth of walking in it (Grey) compared to a brand new one on the right (walnut). Honestly, you get what you pay for. It's really good for the price point and good looking but the leather sort of softens and wrinkles as time goes on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/966144...n/photostream/
    Best,
    Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phsiao08 View Post
    Hello! I've had the Archie - the Abe with goodyear welt. Here it is after a about a year's worth of walking in it (Grey) compared to a brand new one on the right (walnut). Honestly, you get what you pay for. It's really good for the price point and good looking but the leather sort of softens and wrinkles as time goes on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/966144...n/photostream/
    Thank you for the pictures. I have had Allen Edmonds and other bench made shoes for 4+ years, and they always crease after time. I consider the inevitable distress including patina, creases, and imperfections part of the character of a loved shoe. Out of curiosity, did you condition / polish the grey ones on a regular basis?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I did. I spoke with one of the representatives and they said that they discontinued making the grey since it was such a difficult shade to polish for. But I used conditioner, shoe trees etc for a year.
    Best,
    Paul

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    260 Post(s)
    I've got the Charlie loafers and I love them! I wore them yesterday, actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    I've got the Charlie loafers and I love them! I wore them yesterday, actually.
    Thanks for the reply. Have you found the Charlie's to work with suits and business casual or does the beefroll make them lean more casual?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Have you found the Charlie's to work with suits and business casual or does the beefroll make them lean more casual?
    It's not a beefroll. The below image is what would be considered a beefroll

The Charlie Loafer has more of a flat strap to it and while it does have that raised moccasin stitch on the top, it's sleek enough to wear in a business casual outfit and casual enough for shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    It's not a beefroll. The below image is what would be considered a beefroll

The Charlie Loafer has more of a flat strap to it and while it does have that raised moccasin stitch on the top, it's sleek enough to wear in a business casual outfit and casual enough for shorts.
    Thanks for the clarification and the input.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I've had a pair of the Abe loafers in suede for something like 2 years now and they are probably my favorite summer shoe.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cubist_zirconia View Post
    I've had a pair of the Abe loafers in suede for something like 2 years now and they are probably my favorite summer shoe.
    I wish they'd release some more suede loafers. If they don't have any by the time I'm ready to purchase, I might just go through the hassle of ordering through Meermin.