Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Jack Erwin Loafers

  1. #1
    Member pixelpusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

    Jack Erwin Loafers

    Recently returned a pair of Allen Edmond's Ascher due to non-stop squeaking. Looking at Jack Erwin Charlie or Archie as a replacement. I tried Jack Erwin Abe about three years ago when they still did UK sizing and was not really impressed. Does anyone have recent input on either? I'm curious to know if the quality has improved with time.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    395
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Hello! I've had the Archie - the Abe with goodyear welt. Here it is after a about a year's worth of walking in it (Grey) compared to a brand new one on the right (walnut). Honestly, you get what you pay for. It's really good for the price point and good looking but the leather sort of softens and wrinkles as time goes on.

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/966144...n/photostream/
    Best,
    Paul

  3. #3
    Varsity Member CJMichaelRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    554
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    260 Post(s)
    I've got the Charlie loafers and I love them! I wore them yesterday, actually.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I've had a pair of the Abe loafers in suede for something like 2 years now and they are probably my favorite summer shoe.

  5. #5
    Varsity Member CJMichaelRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    554
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cubist_zirconia View Post
    I've had a pair of the Abe loafers in suede for something like 2 years now and they are probably my favorite summer shoe.
    I wish they'd release some more suede loafers. If they don't have any by the time I'm ready to purchase, I might just go through the hassle of ordering through Meermin.

  6. #6
    Member pixelpusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phsiao08 View Post
    Hello! I've had the Archie - the Abe with goodyear welt. Here it is after a about a year's worth of walking in it (Grey) compared to a brand new one on the right (walnut). Honestly, you get what you pay for. It's really good for the price point and good looking but the leather sort of softens and wrinkles as time goes on.

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/966144...n/photostream/
    Thank you for the pictures. I have had Allen Edmonds and other bench made shoes for 4+ years, and they always crease after time. I consider the inevitable distress including patina, creases, and imperfections part of the character of a loved shoe. Out of curiosity, did you condition / polish the grey ones on a regular basis?

  7. #7
    Member pixelpusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cubist_zirconia View Post
    I've had a pair of the Abe loafers in suede for something like 2 years now and they are probably my favorite summer shoe.
    Thanks for the reply. Have you found the suede nap to avoid "shining" after two years?

  8. #8
    Member pixelpusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    I've got the Charlie loafers and I love them! I wore them yesterday, actually.
    Thanks for the reply. Have you found the Charlie's to work with suits and business casual or does the beefroll make them lean more casual?

  9. #9
    Member pixelpusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    I wish they'd release some more suede loafers. If they don't have any by the time I'm ready to purchase, I might just go through the hassle of ordering through Meermin.
    According to their Twitter the next release will be boat shoes, so probably not. I have also contacted them on Twitter about making chukkas and they were semi responsive. I would suggest sending them a message. It never hurts to ask.

  10. #10
    Varsity Member CJMichaelRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    554
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelpusher View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Have you found the Charlie's to work with suits and business casual or does the beefroll make them lean more casual?
    It's not a beefroll. The below image is what would be considered a beefroll



    The Charlie Loafer has more of a flat strap to it and while it does have that raised moccasin stitch on the top, it's sleek enough to wear in a business casual outfit and casual enough for shorts.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •