Thread: Modern/Slim/Fitted/Tailored vs. Classic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Modern/Slim/Fitted/Tailored vs. Classic

Has anyone else noticed that these days you have to size down one in Classic/Relaxed Fit and up one in Slim/Modern/Tailored/etc.? I would normally be a Medium, but I am either a Large or Small depending on the Fit/Cut of the shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    313 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info. Makes me warm and fuzzy since I've decided to go mostly MTM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I have definitely started sizing down, yes. I've been a large all my life, which isn't surprising given that I'm 6'1 and my weight, which fluctuates, is generally somewhere between 175 and 190, although it has been as low as 167 and as high as 206. I'm currently about 180. I cannot wear a large anymore. I stick to mediums. I've found that medium is okay with slim/modern/tailored, but I haven't tried all that many of them. I'm now a medium in J. Crew's Ludlow and BR's slim, but haven't tried the BR Grant and will not get to try the tailored slim. I've also made the switch to medium for sweaters and outerwear. If my weight ever goes back up above 190, which I hope it won't and which it hasn't done in several years, I might have to go back to larges.

I've usually been 34/32 for pants, occasionally 33/32 when I'm at the low end of my weight spectrum and 35/32 when at the high. Though I'm not quite at the low end right now, I'm finding that 33/32 is fine for straight fits and 34/32 for slim fits.

TMI/TLDR, but there you go...