Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Replacing shoulder pads in thrifted sportcoat

Hey y'all,

I picked up a solid charcoal sportcoat from Goodwill a while back for $6. It's a fused, 97% wool, 3% Lycra/Spandex Brooks Brothers 346 "Stretch" jacket with rather prominent shoulder pads, so it's my beater jacket at work when I'm cold but want to stay dressed up.

I'm seeing estimates on various forums for swapping the shoulder pads at anywhere from $60 to $100, which is way more than I'd be willing to pay. However, I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten quotes for cheaper or tried to DIY this themselves by cutting open the lining (the jacket is fully lined) with any success? It doesn't look like it's for the faint of heart......nope......or simple even for a competent tailor

If that's insane, I'll just keep it as-is and suck it up. It's not at all a bad item -- just not my style.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    626 Post(s)
    if done properly, it should cost upwards of $100.

it's not just as easy as remove a pad. the entire shoulder shape isusually defined by the pad, so it's a bit hard to take it out. and even when you do, it leaves a big puffy hole where the big pad was, which can't really be filled if you put a smaller pad in.

it can certainly be done, but it's not really worth doing unless you are comfortable with the idea that the jacket may not ever be the same again.

i've had mixed results re-shaping the shoulders on some tweeds i have, and the fabric is a bit more forgiving than the blazer fabric you're talking about.

you sort of have to re-attach the arms and reshape the shoulder a bit when you do it. it's a little tricky.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post

it's not just as easy as remove a pad. the entire shoulder shape isusually defined by the pad, so it's a bit hard to take it out. and even when you do, it leaves a big puffy hole where the big pad was, which can't really be filled if you put a smaller pad in.

it can certainly be done, but it's not really worth doing unless you are comfortable with the idea that the jacket may not ever be the same again.

i've had mixed results re-shaping the shoulders on some tweeds i have, and the fabric is a bit more forgiving than the blazer fabric you're talking about.

you sort of have to re-attach the arms and reshape the shoulder a bit when you do it. it's a little tricky.
    Damn, maybe I'll just make a blazer tank-top out of it then. Gotta get some bigger biceps first though.

Thanks for the tweed jacket last year by the way! As you can see, I'm still iterating on my jackets bit by bit haha.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    My tailor minimized the shoulder pads in a suit for me recently for $35 and did a fabulous job. Of course, I trust him and know he takes pride in his work (plus everything is relatively inexpensive in my mid-sized city), so my experience may not be typical.

Under no circumstances would I have attempted this myself, though. I'd have paid $100 if the tailor had asked for it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusM View Post
    My tailor minimized the shoulder pads in a suit for me recently for $35 and did a fabulous job. Of course, I trust him and know he takes pride in his work (plus everything is relatively inexpensive in my mid-sized city), so my experience may not be typical.

Under no circumstances would I have attempted this myself, though. I'd have paid $100 if the tailor had asked for it.
    Dang it North Carolina with your delicious Bojangles and cheap tailoring.

I guess I'll bring it in to my tailor and see what she thinks. Can't hurt to ask I guess....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by believe0101 View Post
    Dang it North Carolina with your delicious Bojangles and cheap tailoring.
    With Bojangles around, we need cheap tailoring.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    What about adding shoulder pads where there aren't any? I have an unconstructed half-lined navy wool blazer that fits me perfectly, but I'm not sure it's really flattering to my shoulders which aren't strong to begin with. Is it possible to add a little bit of soft padding to the shoulders?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    626 Post(s)
    you might be able to add a tiny bit, but it's hard to do it and not upset the form of the jacket a lot.

it may sound stupid, but get some paper towels and fold them up, and see how much you can do with out it looking weird.

i've even even sewn in paper towels with some kind of temporary stitches to wear it a day and see if it's ok.