Thread: OK, fine, I'll get a black cap toed bal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

OK, fine, I'll get a black cap toed bal.

A while back I posted about how not everyone needs a black cap toed balmoral, even when working in the most formal of industries. I still stick by that but...I am finding myself wanting a pair for when I really want to dress it up. For what it's worth I've exhausted all other styles that I would wear. I have a black wingtip Balmoral (Allen Edmonds Jeffersons), dark brown AE strands, AE MacGregors in both bourbon and oxblood, AE Daltons in chili, and brown long Branch casual wingtip boots.

Trying to decide on my next purchase and I think it will be a black cap toed balmoral. There are some other holes in mybshoe wardrobe but none that I really want to fill. I've tried a variety of loafers but always have and always will hate the way they look on me. I also don't like chukkas/desert boots or monk straps. That leaves me with plain cap toed Balmoral.

I'm thinking of going non-AE. I've stuck with AE because I like their styling, price point (for seconds or when on sale), and customer service. But I don't like Park Aves. I'm admiring the Meermin style 101198. Anyone have any experience with Meermin? Good quality for the money? Are they comfortable? How is the sizing compared to the AE 65 last? Another option is Loake 1880 I guess.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I still don't really understand black cap toes for "dressy". They are a compromise style that leaves me uninspired. For versatility, I get it. They can go with a tux or almost any suit except the most casual. For just dressy, I'd get something else. A Balmoral with a toe medallion seems more stylish and equally versatile. A plain toe Balmoral or whole cut seems more formal. (Whole cut also seems more stylish, but not versatile.)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)
    If it's formal you're after, why not the ae carlyle?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    If it's formal you're after, why not the ae carlyle?
    I've seen Carlyles after some use and don't like the way they look with even the slightest creasing. I can tolerate creasing on a wingtip other cap toe.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)
    Fair enough.

I've seen loooooots of favorable reviews regarding Meermin, although I haven't got any personal experience with them. Will likely end up trying some after I build up the AE collection a tad more.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Fair enough, although I do think that it's a pretty nice shoe. But it might, anyway, be better in a different color than black.

What about the AE Cornwallis, though? It's a plain-toe balmoral with a medallion, so similar to what @dpark recommended. (I think this style is sometimes called an "Adelaide.") I think it'd be formal and versatile enough for your needs. Not sure about how it creases, though.

On another note, at some point I think you should get a walnut shoe, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Midlife crisis View Post
    I've seen Carlyles after some use and don't like the way they look with even the slightest creasing. I can tolerate creasing on a wingtip other cap toe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    $100 pair of AE Rutledges off eBay was my first pair of real dress shoes and I regret nothing! I got a pair of black wingtips and a pair of black cap toed bluchers that never really clicked for me, so I re-sold them and stuck with the punch caps. I only wear them a few times a year nowadays (used to be 1-2x per week) but hopefully they'll last until 2050 at this rate....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    My sister's father-in-law has a pair of shoes that he bought in 1972. They still look in excellent shape. I think the most important thing with shoes that you don't wear that often is to apply leather conditioner twice a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by believe0101 View Post
    $100 pair of AE Rutledges off eBay was my first pair of real dress shoes and I regret nothing! I got a pair of black wingtips and a pair of black cap toed bluchers that never really clicked for me, so I re-sold them and stuck with the punch caps. I only wear them a few times a year nowadays (used to be 1-2x per week) but hopefully they'll last until 2050 at this rate....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    My sister's father-in-law has a pair of shoes that he bought in 1972. They still look in excellent shape. I think the most important thing with shoes that you don't wear that often is to apply leather conditioner twice a year or so.
    Most definitely! That's the dream. As for my other AEs....man, I need to get some rubber topys on those leather soles asap!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlife crisis View Post
    I agree with this. I like mine, but you have to treat the creasing as 'character' marks, and that impairs the formality of the shoe, in my opinion.