Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The diet and exercise thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Jeez. Project much? You are sure riled up and quick to take offense over a pretty innocuous post.

Nowhere did I say that I thought bodybuilders or weightlifters (or whoever) can't hike or swim or run. I just said, my idea of GPP is being able to do those things, so I will train in a way that involves doing those things and getting better at them. Sheesh.
    Legit lold when i saw the picture.

I think we should all jus take a step back and realize that different people have different goals. Let's try not to derail this thread and actually help/motivate/encourage each other to get "fit". Whether that means being able to outrun zombies, bench 3x bw, or hike up a dam mountain without getting winded!

As for me, I've been lifting for a couple years now and always focused on getting my squat, bench, and deadlift numbers up. The training has gotten a little stale so I'm looking to switch things up and I want to increase my work capacity and general conditioning. I looked into crossfit (i know crossfit gets a bad name in the fitness world) but the monthly membership prices are crazy high, ~$200-250/month compared to my monthly Blink membership of $25.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    Whoa! 3 pages and its already burning in here

Anyway, for a small guy like me here's my data.

Diet:
    Breakfast - coffee, vector cereal with milk & fruits or oatmeal
    Lunch - salad with chicken breast or caesar chicken wrap or boiled mix veggies and meat(fish or chicken)
    Snack - fruits or protein bar, green tea
    Dinner - 1cup of rice and tuna or salmon

I lift 3x a week:
    12 exercises 3-4 sets each
    usually 12-12-10

I do HIIT running 1x a week
    usually 5km in 25 mins

5'6" 141lbs
    needed to shred and be 135lbs

Only problem is some of my 36R/S suits/sportcoats feels tight now

Goal:

I don't wanna be a bodybuilder. Just wanna shred fat now and look good on the clothes that I buy.

And to not die at 70.
    5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianDapper View Post
    Whoa! 3 pages and its already burning in here

Anyway, for a small guy like me here's my data.

Diet:
    Breakfast - coffee, vector cereal with milk & fruits or oatmeal
    Lunch - salad with chicken breast or caesar chicken wrap or boiled mix veggies and meat(fish or chicken)
    Snack - fruits or protein bar, green tea
    Dinner - 1cup of rice and tuna or salmon

I lift 3x a week:
    12 exercises 3-4 sets each
    usually 12-12-10

I do HIIT running 1x a week
    usually 5km in 25 mins

5'6" 141lbs
    needed to shred and be 135lbs

Only problem is some of my 36R/S suits/sportcoats feels tight now

Goal:

I don't wanna be a bodybuilder. Just wanna shred fat now and look good on the clothes that I buy.

And to not die at 70.
    12 exercises per workout day or 12 exercises total for the week?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by APinNC View Post
    Damn dude, it's a fucking slogan that is used frequently in the lifting community. Saying I am paranoid and motivated by "unhealthy" reasons is pretty rude.

By the way, finding absolute comfort in your own situational awareness is a blanket statement that can easily backfire. Just a thought
    To be paranoid is to be so heavily influenced by anxiety and fear that a person acts irrationally. The idea of being forced into hand-to-hand combat unprepared is one likely to evoke anxiety and/or fear. The odds of being forced into hand-to-hand combat are infinitesimal. If the anxiety and fear a person feels at the prospect of being forced into hand-to-hand combat leads that person to adopt a demanding fitness regimen aimed at preparing for that remote possibility, I think that's an objectively irrational response and, therefore, paranoid and unhealthy.

My statement was a reasonable opinion, not rudeness. If I wanted to be rude I could have, I dunno, hurled obscenities at you. As for your second point, it really just repeats the mindset I've already identified as paranoid, so I have no other response.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    12 exercises per workout day or 12 exercises total for the week?
    12 exercises per workout.
    5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecharlesg View Post
    Wanted to know what everyone else does to stay fit/lean/muscular. Whatever you are doing for whatever results you desire, are you working towards your goals? What is working for you and what is not?

I'll start. This year I decided it is time to get lean. I didn't know where to start and stumbled upon some youtube videos talking about intermittent fasting. I decided to give it a go. Here is what I do:

Lift weights 5 times a week. A lot of people do less days, but I wanted to make a habit out of it. I am now in the habit of going every morning and it is much easier to stick to, for me.
    When I lift I do reverse pyramid training.
    I bought a weighted dip belt and do weighted dips and pull ups, which have really helped.
    Only eat carbs after lifting.
    Jog one mile each way to and from gym.
    Weekend cardio.
    I only eat between 10 am and 6 pm. I sometimes try to push my first meal back to as late as two. I also sometimes stop eating around four.

I'm more or less following lean gains. I really started this in late February. I spent 10 days in Israel and 4 days in Cancun over the time I've been doing it, in which I didn't adhere to any of what I just described. Regardless at 6' I have dropped from about 180 to 163. My goal is to hit 158 and have a six pack by June 1st. I sometimes have self doubt, but I am getting very close. I'm going for the Tyler Durden type physique.

Anyway, that's what I've done. What has worked for you guys? I'm probably going to try to slowly build muscle while staying lean after getting to 158. It is good for me to have goals, so I'm thinking my goal will be to hit 165 lean by the end of the year.

Any particular reason for that weight? 158-165, even super lean, is pretty slight on a 6' frame.

There are two things of note that I would comment on, both of them being related. For the most part, it's going to be easier for you to reach your target goal weight by increasing your muscle mass now and then cutting the weight. That's straight up fact, especially if you're trying to lean bulk while intermittent fasting. Better bet would be to IIFYM/reverse diet your way up. Your training protocol should be focused around building muscle, so you should be working in a hypertrophic range in your workouts; 8-12 reps.

Don't overtrain. Lifting five days a week, intensely, is a great way to do that, though I don't know what you're workout "intensity" looks like. My "intense" is different than other people's "intense." Squat. Squat a lot. The hormonal/testosterone response from squatting trumps all other workouts. If you want lean mass, that's the way you're going to do it. It won't just build your legs, it'll build your entire physique and core...while also burning fat. But again, you can't be shorting yourself on your calories. I could go on and on about all this, but anyways, I would say work primarily on a compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, and press movements in that rep range. If you can do more than 12 in a set, you're probably sandbagging. Mix in some accessory work, if you'd like. You know, for arms and other beach body muscles and what not, if that's your thing.

Important: If you're sore after every workout, as in, you feel like you'd have a hard time sitting down or lifting your arms, you're doing it wrong. The biggest mistake most inexperienced lifters make is feeling like DOMS is a good thing; that they're making progress. Sorry, that's completely wrong (unless of course you've never even looked at a barbell in your life). Severe DOMS is an indicator that you're overtraining. At no point should you feel like you couldn't go back in the gym and do the same workout you did yesterday...granted, probably with some slightly lighter loading (feeling a little tight is fine).

On six-packs: Totally fine goal to have. Unless you're a naturally really lean guy, or your occupation is being a fitness model, and/or you're on "supplements," aka Gear, you're going to quickly find that maintaining the sub-10% BF you'll need to rock a ripped six-pack year-round, is probably more of a pain in the ass than its worth. Ultimately, that ish is made in the kitchen, though...and maintaining a six-pack while getting bigger...well, those things generally don't go hand-in-hand. See again the first paragraph. Get larger, then cut. It's the path of least resistance for most.

Personally? Six-packs are entirely overrated. I maintain visible abs year round, but I don't try to maintain a shredded look, like, ever. 99% of the time, no one sees you with your shirt off. A broad chest, shoulders, and arms are much more easily observable, so I'd be more focused on gaining lean mass in those areas (so squat and press heavy and often), if you're looking to have a more impressive physique.

Feel free to message me if you want some dietary protocol resources and some tried and tested strength resources.

I'll address the rest of this thread later...but I'll agree with @APinNC in the sense that, no man would pass up the opportunity to be bigger and stronger if the cost-benefit to him wasn't that much. Additionally, there's absolutely no drawback with being stronger, in ANY situation in life. I would assert that anyone who says that they don't want to be has rationalized that they CAN'T, not that they don't WANT to be. The former being sadly untrue, but most people aren't ready or willing to put in the work to get them there.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ. Ostensibly, you do more reps in a single workout than I do over the course of ~2 weeks of workouts (six actual workouts).

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2050 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    Important: If you're sore after every workout, as in, you feel like you'd have a hard time sitting down or lifting your arms, you're doing it wrong. The biggest mistake most inexperienced lifters make is feeling like DOMS is a good thing; that they're making progress. Sorry, that's completely wrong (unless of course you've never even looked at a barbell in your life). Severe DOMS is an indicator that you're overtraining. At no point should you feel like you couldn't go back in the gym and do the same workout you did yesterday...granted, probably with some slightly lighter loading (feeling a little tight is fine).
    I find this is different depending on whether I've been lifting regularly or not. If I've taken a break for a few weeks (like when I was training for my 10k, or now after surgery recovery), the first day or two back at it does make me really sore, especially on the second day after the workout. But that doesn't happen once I get back in the swing of things.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusM View Post
    To be paranoid is to be so heavily influenced by anxiety and fear that a person acts irrationally. The idea of being forced into hand-to-hand combat unprepared is one likely to evoke anxiety and/or fear. The odds of being forced into hand-to-hand combat are infinitesimal. If the anxiety and fear a person feels at the prospect of being forced into hand-to-hand combat leads that person to adopt a demanding fitness regimen aimed at preparing for that remote possibility, I think that's an objectively irrational response and, therefore, paranoid and unhealthy.

My statement was a reasonable opinion, not rudeness. If I wanted to be rude I could have, I dunno, hurled obscenities at you. As for your second point, it really just repeats the mindset I've already identified as paranoid, so I have no other response.
    It could just be one of the many reasons for training. There's nothing wrong with being prepared for those situations, no matter how remote the possibility of it happening is. He did come out belligerently in his next post, but I have difficulty believing that that's the one and only reason why someone would train that hard. Protecting his family is important, of course, but probably also the health/physicque benefits would also be another major reason why.

Seems like a lot of different exercises per workout. How long does a typical workout last and what does a workout consist of?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I find this is different depending on whether I've been lifting regularly or not. If I've taken a break for a few weeks (like when I was training for my 10k, or now after surgery recovery), the first day or two back at it does make me really sore, especially on the second day after the workout. But that doesn't happen once I get back in the swing of things.
    Usually if I go through DOMS, I know I pushed myself too hard that workout. Either I did more weight than I should have, or I did more sets than I should have. To avoid that, if I've taken a long time off, I usually drop a lot of weight, like 50% or so, just working on my form again, and then building back up to where I was. Kinda sucks ego-wise, but it's better than walking funny for a few days.