Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The diet and exercise thread

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'd much rather live, eat, and exercise in ways that I enjoy, so that I am better at doing the things that I enjoy, than completely alter my food and exercise habits to prepare for some extremely remote possibility of life-or-death hand-to-hand combat with a deranged stranger. *shrug*
    Seconded. Common sense and situational awareness have been sufficient to protect my wife and kids, and I find paranoia an unhealthy and ineffective motivator.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    For me "GPP" means being able to hike 6,000 feet up the side of a mountain with my friends without hacking up a lung or slowing anyone down. Or being able to flip a jetski upright in the water and pull myself back on. Or being able to run a charity race without embarrassing myself.

I'd much rather live, eat, and exercise in ways that I enjoy, so that I am better at doing the things that I enjoy, than completely alter my food and exercise habits to prepare for some extremely remote possibility of life-or-death hand-to-hand combat with a deranged stranger. *shrug*
    I agree, at least for my goals. I also doubt that all that GPP would lead to the situation being "defused" by all my definitions. I've always been big enough to where most guys question whether they'd want to start something with me (I was a bouncer for a bit, and not really abnormally large by any means, but big enough that it was a deterrent). I'd prefer to train for an overall health and mobility/strength combination for daily life. I don't think I need to bench 300+ to achieve that, or cut out carbs or otherwise conform to an extreme diet. I also don't really care to get under 10% BF or anything like that, so YMMV.

I don't eat like shit most of the time, but I'll get some fried chicken / BBQ / pizza, or have some dessert sometimes. I work out a few times a week when I can, listen to my body in terms of soreness, what I should work out, etc. (for example, I am starting to re-focus on stretching / core exercises as I realized I've slacked in that area for a while). I might get back into harder training, but for now I'm enjoying moderation in everything (including exercise and diet).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    For me "GPP" means being able to hike 6,000 feet up the side of a mountain with my friends without hacking up a lung or slowing anyone down. Or being able to flip a jetski upright in the water and pull myself back on. Or being able to run a charity race without embarrassing myself.

Where did I say that GPP only related to fighting? Nowhere. I just gave my opinion on why being "strong and ready" serves a purpose. The whole point was "being gas station ready" prepares you for a whole lot of things. Any man that can go ten minutes of non stop fighting and grappling is someone I would call prepared. By taking my words out of context completely misses the point. Strength absolutely increases your level of GPP if you do it correctly. I never said "Lift weights, eat ice cream, and fat fuck yourself into a size 40 pants." Read the post again and see what I said: lift heavy, do hard ass conditioning, and stay fit.

I can promise you that being stronger will help you hike farther and easier, flipping a jet ski and pulling yourself would be easier, and running would not be any more embarrassing than that of some skinny twig. I'm 6'2", 240 and I have no trouble running a 10k, boxing 10 rounds, or rolling for hours.

Tell you what: I'll strap on some boots tomorrow and hike 6,000 feet with you; however, as soon as we're done, you have to squat 400 pounds with me then ruck march for 30 minutes with 50 pounds in your ruck sack. Let's see who is hacking up a lung and slowing the other down.

Also, to think strong people running is embarrassing is a silly argument? Maybe you'd change your tune if you had a stronger person running after you. What is embarrassing is being weak, being out of shape, being unable to do the things you want because you're too lazy, too weak, or too unmotivated to take the first step and do it.

You can "shrug" it off all you want, but don't knock someone for giving an opinion. I never bashed anyone else's idea of fitness in this thread, I just stated what "I" think is better. And I did it politely...

Maybe you're upset because you're a little guy and not strong at all; or maybe you like to be rude because you have the almighty "mod powers," and you're simply overcompensating.

Either way, I'll keep lifting weights and busting ass. You keep doing what you do
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)

Jeez. Project much? You are sure riled up and quick to take offense over a pretty innocuous post.

Nowhere did I say that I thought bodybuilders or weightlifters (or whoever) can't hike or swim or run. I just said, my idea of GPP is being able to do those things, so I will train in a way that involves doing those things and getting better at them. Sheesh.
    Ben

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusM View Post
    Seconded. Common sense and situational awareness have been sufficient to protect my wife and kids, and I find paranoia an unhealthy and ineffective motivator.
    Damn dude, it's a fucking slogan that is used frequently in the lifting community. Saying I am paranoid and motivated by "unhealthy" reasons is pretty rude.

By the way, finding absolute comfort in your own situational awareness is a blanket statement that can easily backfire. Just a thought
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Jeez. Project much? You are sure riled up and quick to take offense over a pretty innocuous post. Nowhere did I say that I thought bodybuilders or weightlifters (or whoever) can't hike or swim or run. I just said, my idea of GPP is being able to do those things, so I will train in a way that involves doing those things and getting better at them. Sheesh.
    'Roids are one hell of a drug.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerpenguin View Post
    'Roids are one hell of a drug.
    Roids? Aww, who's a big boy?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Well, this thread escalated rather quickly, but I guess that's how most fitness threads go.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by APinNC View Post
    Probably not the guy who leaps to chest-pounding about his own abilities and making derogatory comments about others the moment he perceives his perspective has been criticized.

Ben

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by APinNC View Post
    Apparently you are, since we now seem to have resorted to name calling and base levels of "I can lift more than you can" arguments.

I forgot why I had avoided these types of threads for a while; guess this was a quick reminder.