Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: The diet and exercise thread

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Interesting, I need to look into this. I've read with squats to also break them into partial reps. Work on sitting in the hole for 2-3 seconds and then out to help get over hurdles. You can also squat to a bench or I switch to the Smith machine every few weeks to work on increasing my range of motion.
    Paused squats (go into the hole, pause 2 sec, back up) are great for functional strength. I prefer them to regular squatting. Box squatting, and releasing your tension at the bottom is another good modification of the squat. I would recommend doing a few different modifications for a few weeks in a row each then switch it up. Good way to be well rounded.

I do not recommend Smith machine, especially for ROM work. Smith inhibits your bodys ability to move in certain planes. IF you have ROM issues, back off the weight and work on your patterning and mobility.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post
    Just started the Renaissance Periodization program. I've been doing Crossfit for about 7 years and I've fluctuated between 180 and 200 for most of that time. About a year into CF, I did GOMAD twice for a total of about 6 weeks to put on mass to counteract my distance running build. Other than that, I've done about 80% paleo, with a few Whole 30s thrown in where I leaned out, but also lost a fair amount of muscle and strength. Doing RP is the first time I've ever really committed to counting macros.

The basics for this fat loss protocol are keeping your protein and overall calorie count about the same every day (for me, at 195 lbs, I have between 180 and 198g of protein each day), but you eat more fat and less carbs on rest days, and vice versa on training days. Your carb amounts are controlled by how long and intense your workouts are, and you consume most of your carbs in a 4-6 hour window around your workout. You also have a 4th pre-workout meal that I've never done before.

It's definitely making me realize that I was overconsuming fat even when doing strict paleo, and not just bacon, but also avocado, olive oil, etc, and that that is where my extra 10-15 lbs of fat has come from when combined with using some white rice and dextrose around my workouts.
    Carb cycling is fun and delicious! Everyone is different with their dietary requirements but I am a believer in making sure you have adequate protein as a top recommendation!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I am thinking switching to full fat milk instead of 2%. We have chickens so we get fresh eggs daily, I just don't eat them enough. Pasta is a good idea and I will probably start adding avocado to everything as it also helps inflammation. Nut butters are a good idea, I just get sick of things other than Jif PB.

Good tips though. I just need to pack those dense calorie good foods in.
    Full fat milk is delicious and full of nutrients. If you're worried about inflammation, nut butter may not be the best option, depending on how you tolerate it. I'd also disagree with the pasta recommendation since I prefer to stay away from processed foods. Pasta doesn't give you anything white rice wont.

I don't have much experience with endurance athlete nutrition (just running like you're doing). My thoughts however are that you should add in some weight training to keep the muscle that you have and fuel for the run properly. For endurance work, fueling off fats is optimal or muscle preservation from what I've seen. If you're losing weight, i'd be concerned as to what kind of weight it is (something you can track if you want). Also, if you are losing weight, try adding in more calories. make sure to have sufficient protein (not super high) and maybe try fueling with fats. Add 10% cals for a week or so and see how that does, if you're still dropping lbs then add in 10% more and so on.

Good job sticking to your goal with the running if that's what you want. Keep it rolling!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    If you want to increase your squat, eat and squat more; especially for a novice. That's really about it.
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Interesting, I need to look into this. I've read with squats to also break them into partial reps. Work on sitting in the hole for 2-3 seconds and then out to help get over hurdles. You can also squat to a bench or I switch to the Smith machine every few weeks to work on increasing my range of motion.
    I've done that before, but it was only to break a plateau, so I'd soon plateau all over again. But with Smolov, you smash the plateau, and if you want to increase again, do another round of Smolov. And like @APinNC says, consume more calories, at least 1K more than your maintenance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    Started looking into smolov. My major concerns are working it around my hockey schedule. I play 2-3x a week so my legs would never have a day off lol

Can anyone recommend some good minimal cushion or low profile sneakers that aren't 70+? My old reeboks i got for 20 bucks and were great for leg day with the minimal foam. Now it seems every pair has too much foam or is 70+.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Full fat milk is delicious and full of nutrients. If you're worried about inflammation, nut butter may not be the best option, depending on how you tolerate it. I'd also disagree with the pasta recommendation since I prefer to stay away from processed foods. Pasta doesn't give you anything white rice wont.

I don't have much experience with endurance athlete nutrition (just running like you're doing). My thoughts however are that you should add in some weight training to keep the muscle that you have and fuel for the run properly. For endurance work, fueling off fats is optimal or muscle preservation from what I've seen. If you're losing weight, i'd be concerned as to what kind of weight it is (something you can track if you want). Also, if you are losing weight, try adding in more calories. make sure to have sufficient protein (not super high) and maybe try fueling with fats. Add 10% cals for a week or so and see how that does, if you're still dropping lbs then add in 10% more and so on.

Good job sticking to your goal with the running if that's what you want. Keep it rolling!
    I am still running quite a bit but cut back as I cannot take in enough water to make up for what I sweat out. I have a very high sweat rate so endurance running in the South and during the summer just wasn't worth it. Plus when I went out for a run one day hoping to put in 15 miles, I got about 2 in and just wanted to hang out with my son. Maybe this fall I will start longer distances again but I am pretty happy where I'm at.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

Can anyone recommend some good minimal cushion or low profile sneakers that aren't 70+? My old reeboks i got for 20 bucks and were great for leg day with the minimal foam. Now it seems every pair has too much foam or is 70+.
    I just wear low-top chucks for leg day. Dunno if that'll work for you but they're cheap and have minimal soles.
    Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminado View Post
    I just wear low-top chucks for leg day. Dunno if that'll work for you but they're cheap and have minimal soles.
    Yep, Chucks or Vans slip ons. Flat sole and cheap. You can find the older models of the Crossfit reebok shoes. I have a pair and I wear them occasionally if I plan on doing some HIIT after my workout. Usually just Vans or barefoot
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminado View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by APinNC View Post
    Yep, Chucks or Vans slip ons. Flat sole and cheap. You can find the older models of the Crossfit reebok shoes. I have a pair and I wear them occasionally if I plan on doing some HIIT after my workout. Usually just Vans or barefoot
    I'll throw my hat in for Chucks here, as well. Should be able to find a pair online some where for like $30-40. My go to workout shoe, outside of my Oly shoes.