Thread: Sweater Too Long

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Sweater Too Long

Can anything be done to shorten a sweater that is too long? I usually roll my sweaters under anyway, but this particular one has a heavy knit that pulls down. I am always thinking and worrying about it falling down.

Has anyone had success with a hemming technique? If not, would you roll it under and pin or tape it? Sounds bad, but if I wear it rolled under anyway, what's the difference? This is pretty discouraging.

Thanks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    Soak the bottom part and put it in the dryer. Do it at your own risk.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    643 Post(s)
    you can really hem sweaters.

even ones that are kind of sewn together, like sweatshirts, you have to have a special serger sewing machine to sew together the stretchy fabrics in a consistant way.

Its a pretty crazy idea, but given your lack of options I would suggest considering shrinking some of it too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    you can really hem sweaters.

even ones that are kind of sewn together, like sweatshirts, you have to have a special serger sewing machine to sew together the stretchy fabrics in a consistant way.

Its a pretty crazy idea, but given your lack of options I would suggest considering shrinking some of it too.
    So this serger machine....do most tailors have one? I seem to recall discussions saying that is is a specialized piece of equipment not commonly owned by tailors.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    643 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    So this serger machine....do most tailors have one? I seem to recall discussions saying that is is a specialized piece of equipment not commonly owned by tailors.
    SORRY I MISTYPED

i can't to say you CANT really hem sweater. damned autocorrect.

some tailors have the sergers, but it's still kind of too much to pull apart a sweater like that.