Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need slim+tapered chino suggestions, 100% cotton, not too dressy, <$60

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)

need slim+tapered chino suggestions, 100% cotton, not too dressy, <$60

i've been wearing the dockers slim tappered alpha pants for a few years now, with much love and awe of how well they fit, how good the quality is for between $30 and $40 I can usually get them for on sale. I like how they kind of act like jeans in a lot of ways, from being thick fabric'd down to how having real pockets and an extra belt loop in the back. I think I have 8 pairs of them, that I wear constantly, and are all well on their way to needing replacement.

unfortunately, they've been revamped a bunch now. All sizes and styles of these pants now come in STRETCH fabric, which despite being fairly comfortable, they are very thin and not durable. They are prone to staining. The fabric looks very flat, and doesn't have the color depth the old ones have. I tried a pair, and I really did not like them at all. I'm quite mad.

I bought out all of the old 100% cotton ones in my size from ebay, 6 pm, amazon in my size, only yielded a few pairs.

I tried some of the lands end lighthouse "slim" ones, and they were way way too slim for me. The next loosest fit, the "straight fit" are actually quite big, and do not have the look I am usually going for. The fabric is kind of too soft for what I am looking for. While the pants are definitely a nice garment, they're not what I was looking for.

I bought a pair of Dockers "Modern khaki" pants in a slim tapered fit, and while they fit great, the fabric and the pants are actually quite low quality. A large majority of the stitching is uneven and ragged, and the pants just really aren't that good at all.

i was thinking about checking out j crew, or j crew factory? but I'm frankly confused my all their different models and fits.

So what do you I need to look at next that would be comparable?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    If you are looking at JCF, the sutton fit is probably what you want to check out. They have a nice taper to the leg, at least for me. You may not like the quality but I bought a bunch of these to fill out my wardrobe. Now I can focus on getting nicer pairs. Bonobos is what I plan to check out for an upgrade.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    BR's Aiden chinos are probably worth a look. I have four pairs in my chino fleet right now and I've found them to be the perfect slim/tapered (but not skinny) fit for me. They've been durable - although they're part of a larger rotation. The fabric is decently thick but still soft, softer than J.Crew or Bonobos - some colors have more of a brushed feel to them. I've read about fading colors, but most of mine are lighter colors. They're typically on sale, right now they're $52 after 25% off. I've found waist sizing consistent, but inseam inconsistent - I try to buy most of them in store so I can try them on first.

I'm a crazy J.Crew aficionado, but I've found their chinos tricky - much like your experience with LE. I have some 484 Essential chinos that I like, but many I've tried on are borderline skinny fit. The 770s I've tried have all been too baggy, despite measurements that seem perfect. Some of the variations, like the chambray linen/cotton chinos and the textured cotton chinos (both 484) are among my favorite pants.

I recently picked up a pair of Bonobos washed chinos, they're nice, but pricey for basic chinos. I found their slim fit to be ideal, quite similar to the Aidens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I have a the BR Aiden chinos and some JCF Sutton Fit. I like them find them to be slim but not too slim. I find both to be widely inconsistent in inseam length, which is super annoying. I ordered two pairs from JCF in the same measurements, and had to send one back cause they were so short. The BR Aiden can be tried on in store to find a pair that fits, and I find them to be a little dressier than the JCF if needed. I don't like that they have tagging sewn onto the butt, and while this could be a deal breaker for some, I tolerate it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i've been wearing the dockers slim tappered alpha pants for a few years now, with much love and awe of how well they fit, how good the quality is for between $30 and $40 I can usually get them for on sale. I like how they kind of act like jeans in a lot of ways, from being thick fabric'd down to how having real pockets and an extra belt loop in the back. I think I have 8 pairs of them, that I wear constantly, and are all well on their way to needing replacement.

unfortunately, they've been revamped a bunch now. All sizes and styles of these pants now come in STRETCH fabric, which despite being fairly comfortable, they are very thin and not durable. They are prone to staining. The fabric looks very flat, and doesn't have the color depth the old ones have. I tried a pair, and I really did not like them at all. I'm quite mad.

I bought out all of the old 100% cotton ones in my size from ebay, 6 pm, amazon in my size, only yielded a few pairs.

I tried some of the lands end lighthouse "slim" ones, and they were way way too slim for me. The next loosest fit, the "straight fit" are actually quite big, and do not have the look I am usually going for. The fabric is kind of too soft for what I am looking for. While the pants are definitely a nice garment, they're not what I was looking for.

I bought a pair of Dockers "Modern khaki" pants in a slim tapered fit, and while they fit great, the fabric and the pants are actually quite low quality. A large majority of the stitching is uneven and ragged, and the pants just really aren't that good at all.

i was thinking about checking out j crew, or j crew factory? but I'm frankly confused my all their different models and fits.

I'm not sure if Bonobos still does 20% off your first order, but that would get you to $70/pair if so. +$10 on you budget here would be well worth it in that case. You can also peruse the sale section, but "normal" colors and sizes can be few and far between (side note: could be worth pinging the Ninjas to see if there's a Memorial Day sale upcoming).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Between J.Crew and JCF, I have noticed a difference in the fit of the 770 vs the Sutton, even though they are supposedly the same fit. The Sutton has a much wider leg opening than the 770. I have pairs in waist 32 for both, and the 770 has a 14" leg opening and the Sutton has a 15.25" opening. So personally I much prefer the 770 and wish JCF would update their fit. For now I will stick with mainline JC.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I'm also looking for the perfect chino fit.

Is the general consensus that the 770/Sutton fit is the best balance of slim but not too skinny? (compared to the 484/driggs/skinny or bleeker/straight fits?)

I'm curious how the Bonobos sizing matches with Jcrew. Is their slim more like the 484 or the 770?

I personally own 2 pairs of the Sutton fit chinos from JCF, and I think they fit decently, but they don't have the nicest material/feel overall. Would be open to an upgrade, and actually wouldn't mind a bit more stretch.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    I had alphas and hat what they did to a perfectly good pant. I use J Crew Sutton, BR Aiden, and the Old Navy Slim fit now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post

Dude, what a time to be reading this. Last night I just ordered both the lands end slim lighthouse chinos, and the slim tapered alpha khaki in the lightweight option to see which one would fit better. Hopefully I wont be as disappointed as you sound in this post. My favorite chinos to date are the Jcrew (not JCF) broken in chinos in the 770 slim fit. They fit snugly but not tightly around the waist and thighs and have a bit of a taper as they reach the end of the leg. For reference, I've tried the BR Factory aiden slim fit chino, which are a little bit tighter around my thighs with a similar leg opening but they still get plenty of wear from me. I've also tried the JCF sutton fit in both jeans and lightweight chinos and it's just not the same as the 770. While the thighs fit about the same, the leg definitely doesn't taper as much as the 770s. The sutton fit in JCF lightweight chinos are probably about the same or worse quality as the dockers, with a poorer fit. Bonobos slim might work for you, they are just a little bit out of my price range. I've also tried uniqlo chinos, and their slim fit is just oddly tight up at the waist and thighs and then regular fitting at the calf area.

I have regular/muscular thighs but not huge, and smaller calves, so a tapered fit is usually what fits me best (think 508 levi's).
    College aged guy interested in college aged guy stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamh View Post
    I have a the BR Aiden chinos and some JCF Sutton Fit. I like them find them to be slim but not too slim. I find both to be widely inconsistent in inseam length, which is super annoying.
    Thanks for the this Eureka moment. I am currently wearing my pair of high water JCF pants, while all the other JCF pants are perfectly fine, and all are 30" inseam. Makes sense now.