Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need slim+tapered chino suggestions, 100% cotton, not too dressy, <$60

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    I just bought a couple pairs of Jcrew 770 fit chinos, and these, as well as Bonobos Slim Straights, will be my gotos for my chino needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    I just bought a couple pairs of Jcrew 770 fit chinos, and these, as well as Bonobos Slim Straights, will be my gotos for my chino needs.

How'd the slim straights compare to the 770's fit wise? Which ones are slimmer?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I love the slim-fit vintage wash chinos from GAP. J Crew and J Crew Factory chinos have too much extra room in the seat for me, even in the 404, and so the pockets tend to flare out when I sit down.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I love the slim-fit vintage wash chinos from GAP. J Crew and J Crew Factory chinos have too much extra room in the seat for me, even in the 404, and so the pockets tend to flare out when I sit down.
    I wouldn't say that I love the Gap Slim vintage wash chinos, but I will say that they fit pretty much the same as Bonobos Slim for me. So for someone who likes Bonobos but doesn't like the price, try Gap.

I find that chinos tend to flare at the pockets when I sit no matter how they fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Do any of these chinos you guys are touting have a decent rise? I've gotten to the point I can't stand a low rise at all.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    i haven't seen any slim and tapered chinos that have anything other than a low rise.

but i also have not tried all of them....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i've been wearing the dockers slim tappered alpha pants for a few years now, with much love and awe of how well they fit, how good the quality is for between $30 and $40 I can usually get them for on sale. I like how they kind of act like jeans in a lot of ways, from being thick fabric'd down to how having real pockets and an extra belt loop in the back. I think I have 8 pairs of them, that I wear constantly, and are all well on their way to needing replacement.

unfortunately, they've been revamped a bunch now. All sizes and styles of these pants now come in STRETCH fabric, which despite being fairly comfortable, they are very thin and not durable. They are prone to staining. The fabric looks very flat, and doesn't have the color depth the old ones have. I tried a pair, and I really did not like them at all. I'm quite mad.

I bought out all of the old 100% cotton ones in my size from ebay, 6 pm, amazon in my size, only yielded a few pairs.

I tried some of the lands end lighthouse "slim" ones, and they were way way too slim for me. The next loosest fit, the "straight fit" are actually quite big, and do not have the look I am usually going for. The fabric is kind of too soft for what I am looking for. While the pants are definitely a nice garment, they're not what I was looking for.

I bought a pair of Dockers "Modern khaki" pants in a slim tapered fit, and while they fit great, the fabric and the pants are actually quite low quality. A large majority of the stitching is uneven and ragged, and the pants just really aren't that good at all.

i was thinking about checking out j crew, or j crew factory? but I'm frankly confused my all their different models and fits.

So what do you I need to look at next that would be comparable?
    Glad I am not alone with disliking the changes to the Alpha Khakis.

I feel like I have tried just about everything and still can't seem to find chinos that don't leave me wanting in some way. I'm 5'9" 140lbs for reference and find JC 484 and JCF Driggs to be on the too slim side and with too low a rise for my taste. The old JC Urban Slims had thighs that were too baggy imo but since they updated them to be branded "770" I feel like they fit a lot better. As a matter of fact a size 29 is almost perfect I just wish the front and back rise had just a little more to them (wish they were like the Alphas). It is true the 770s taper more in the leg opening than the Suttons if that is your preference. I personally don't mind.

I'm currently shopping to update my summer wardrobe and think I am probably going to settle with JC or JCF and just live with the rise a little less than I would like. They have a good selection of colors and are available in lightweight cotton.

BR Aiden I haven't tried in a while so maybe they have changed but I didn't really like the rise on them either and found the color choices to be poor although the fabric quality was superior to the Suttons. I don't think they come in lightweight options either.

Gap's "The Khaki' in slim fit might be worth a shot too. They taper very nicely about the same as the 770 and have a slightly higher rise. Colors options are Ok I just wish they came in a lightweight version. Also there are some quality concerns. Lots of people complaining about the zippers. No problem on the pair I have right now but I have noticed the thread on the hem seems to be fraying a bit already.

Oh one more thing about the JC options. As someone mentioned the inseams can be inconsistent. I have just given up and size up when buying and have them hemmed. I have found they usually shrink a bit in the wash the first time anyway so even if you get a pair bang on, they might shrink anyway.

Haven't tried Bonobos in a long time. I would really like to like their pants they look nice and have plenty of color and lightweight options but looking at their size charts I think they are similar fit to JCs options (also with the rise a little shorter than I would prefer) and I just can't justify the price if they aren't going to fit better.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    i've been staking out a few pairs of the bonobos ones on ebay for a week now, i think i'm going to pull the trigger on a pair eventually.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Spier & Mackay's old stock, which is dirt cheap right now, is excellent. They're upgrading their casual chinos line soon but if I were you I would give their current model a shot. Lightweight but durable material, slim but not skinny fit, really comfortable, unbeatable price right now. I have 4 pairs, I wear them all of the time. Hadn't worn chinos in years before trying these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    BR modern slim fits are a good alternative too

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk