Thread: Memorial service clothing

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Memorial service clothing

This upcoming week I have a memorial service to attend for a faculty member that I was an acquaintance with at my University. However, I'm in a pickle with my school wardrobe lacking in apparel for this occasion. I have business casual clothes but I'm not sure if they're appropriate for the occasion. Also, It is a memorial service and not a funeral, so I don't feel the need to borrow a black suit from a friend.

For pants I have the option of light khaki chinos, some slightly faded (and also a bit tight on me) navy chinos, and as a last resort I have dark jeans. Which would be the most acceptable in this situation?

My only blazer here is grey, but I have a few friends around my size who have navy blazers that I could borrow, which would be a better choice for a blazer?

I'm planning on wearing a white shirt and have a few tie options as well.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Don't do the jeans. I wouldn't wear other people's clothes as it may be uncomfortable.

I wouldn't make any assumptions just because there is no body or burial. I've been to a memorial before that was really long and ceremonial. I've been to others that were more lighthearted (relatively, of course). Not knowing what your acquaintance's family is like, I would just prepare for long and dress as formally as you can, but dress comfortably knowing you might be there for a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Ian makes a good point. Definitely dress as formal as you can. If your friends blazers fit well then wear it. Navy blazers works well with light khaki chinos.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks both of you. I got my hands on a friend's blazer today to borrow, so that should work with the light khaki chinos.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    My family had a memorial service for my recently-deceased grandmother last week. My dad wore a black suit, my brother wore a black blazer, I wore a charcoal suit. My uncle and cousins, on the other hand, wore chinos and dress shirts, including one in a bright gingham, and in one case, a sweater.

Others at the service (about 100 in total) wore stuff ranging from full suits to jeans.

Honestly, who cares? You want to show your respect to the deceased and to the deceased's immediate family/most intimate friends, but no one expects a college student to either own, or run out and immediately acquire, formal mourning attire. Dress neatly, wear a tie, be well-groomed, and pay your respects. If a grey blazer and khaki chinos are the most conservative options you have, wear them.
    Ben