Thread: Opinions on Primark?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Opinions on Primark?

We recently got one of these stores---one of the first in the US. It must be the lowest prices I have seen outside of the Goodwill store. I know there are hundred of Primarks world wide, so what has been your experience with them? Do the clothes fall apart after one washing? Do you like the fit? Anything else?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Do the clothes fall apart after one washing? Do you like the fit? Anything else?
    Well, close. They actually they fall apart after the second washing. They get misshapen and don't look like they did when you bought them after the first.

My main complaint about the store is that all of the clothes contradict the kind of reactive recycled-modern-traditional way I dress. The stuff they have is kind of full-steam-ahead modern, and geared toward people 20 and younger, i would say.

While it's totally not good quality at all, at the same time it was never going for that.

I think Primark is kind of unique outlet, in this throw-away fashion world. If you compare Primark vs H&M or whoever else in their direct competition that you can think of, primark wins on price and style every time. It's an odd race to the bottom ultimately, but I don't know where else you're going to buy any kind of wearable shirt for $9.

One thing they really win all the time at is the way the store works, the merchandising. They are super super good at merchandising the clothes they have in a way that presents clever outfits and other adjacent options you might impulse buy. They have lots of little nooks to create outfits based on looks on adjacent models, and the 'looks' always are super sharp. The lighting in the store is very flattering, everyone is young and attractive. It's a fun place to be. At the kind of prices they have, it's hard to go in there and not want to buy everything they sell.

I think there are a whole lot of US stores that even make semi-passable low end clothes but suck ass at merchandising (TARGET/merona thinking about you especially).

The gal I live with buys a ton of womens accessories there, as she works next to the the downtown boston one. I've noticed they do womens clothing better than they do mens. They also make really sharp cheap accessories. I wish they did this as well for men as they did for women.

It's a very neat store.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    One thing they really win all the time at is the way the store works, the merchandising. They are super super good at merchandising the clothes they have in a way that presents clever outfits and other adjacent options you might impulse buy. They have lots of little nooks to create outfits based on looks on adjacent models, and the 'looks' always are super sharp. The lighting in the store is very flattering, everyone is young and attractive. It's a fun place to be. At the kind of prices they have, it's hard to go in there and not want to buy everything they sell.
    I was just at our new Primark last weekend, and my impressions are basically the exact opposite of yours. I don't even remember what the mannequins were wearing. Stupid trendy stuff I think? I tried on a jersey polo and wasn't impressed. Every sportcoat/suit jacket was cropped. Didn't look at pants, and the shoe department reeked of the worst chemical smell I've ever smelled in an enclosed space. Maybe the layout and merchandising didn't appeal to me because I am just about the opposite of an impulse-buyer, and my personal style leans heavily trad/preppy/classic.

Just about the only thing I liked was that they didn't have music blaring at volume 11. Old Navy continues to be my source for cheap t-shirts, shorts, and such. I've had stuff from Old Navy that has help up for many years, so I'm not going to mess with something that works.

That all reads kinda harsh, so maybe I just need to visit the store again.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Stupid trendy stuff I think?
    thing is you're right. I'm just trying to be open minded about it I suppose. it's 100000% not for me. I still think it's a neat retail operation! Especially when you compare their american contemporaries.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    Primark takes shirts out of the package, and puts it on a smartly dressed mannequin! H+M just makes these tubs with dollar sign tags on them of generic clothes you can fish through.

Makes H+M feel like the dollar store.