Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)

I regret to say...I am done with suede shoes

i think they look good and fit in a very nice niche stylistically and formally. but...it just isn't worth it to me. they are NOT harder to care for than leather shoes...but they are different and those differences just drive me crazy. they collect dust throughout the day more and the dust particles stay there due to the nap. so i have to brush them off after every wear. the suede i feel like does wear out (note, it doesn't wear out that fast) instead of developing a patina/character like solid leather shoes, they just kind of fade and start to look a little uneven. cheaper suede just isn't that nice after trying REALLY nice suede shoes (carmina). Even the suede on my allen edmonds doesn't cut it any more. the expensive suede carminas still have the same problems (aside from better suede quality meaning slightly better appearance and fading slower) and it's impossible to get the nap uniform or restore the richness of the original suede color like i can just polish leather shoes. After my current pairs of leather shoes wear out, I will likely not be replacing them...

For the record, these are my suede shoes:
    carmina navy oxford
    j crew kenton bucks boulder
    suitsupply double monks brown
    allen edmonds strands brown
    banana republic double monks gray

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    I have similar feelings, which is why my Carmina suede PTBs are for sale. Suede can deliver a very unique look, but it doesn't work for me personally.

You can restore the color with Saphir suede spray, but the other issues are unavoidable, regardless of quality/price point.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    You guys are breaking my heart. I would have bought wsupjs PTBs if I didn't already have a dark chocolate pair and I think Scofield's feet are smaller than mine. I will have my suede for a while and want some lighter colors. While I feel navy would be great, I can't think of anything to wear them with which is why I didn't jump on that J. Crew Alfred Sargent sale they had a while back.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    You guys are breaking my heart. I would have bought wsupjs PTBs if I didn't already have a dark chocolate pair and I think Scofield's feet are smaller than mine. I will have my suede for a while and want some lighter colors. While I feel navy would be great, I can't think of anything to wear them with which is why I didn't jump on that J. Crew Alfred Sargent sale they had a while back.
    not to get off topic but blue suede is actually extremely versatile. i wear a ton of gray pants (the personal uniform), so i wear these...with everything. gray jeans, gray chinos, gray wool trousers. they're a bit like a black captoe without being so boring. they actually blend in pretty well, haven't received one comment on them at work (that's a good thing!) while in bright sunlight they're beautiful to look at (really couldn't capture it properly in natural light despite all my attempts). as for outfits, i like to wear them with navy blazers (for a very uniform look) or use them as a good way to inject blue into my outfits when i'm NOT wearing a blue blazer (rare). so for example, blue suede shoes, gray pants, white shirt, brown blazer.

filtered to hell, but these e are the only pics i have of them:
    http://i.imgur.com/ixMoEQm.jpg

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    not to get off topic but blue suede is actually extremely versatile. i wear a ton of gray pants (the personal uniform), so i wear these...with everything. gray jeans, gray chinos, gray wool trousers. they're a bit like a black captoe without being so boring. they actually blend in pretty well, haven't received one comment on them at work (that's a good thing!) while in bright sunlight they're beautiful to look at (really couldn't capture it properly in natural light despite all my attempts). as for outfits, i like to wear them with navy blazers (for a very uniform look) or use them as a good way to inject blue into my outfits when i'm NOT wearing a blue blazer (rare). so for example, blue suede shoes, gray pants, white shirt, brown blazer.

Which last are your Carminas on? Detroit last?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Which last are your Carminas on? Detroit last?
    rain last. i have a semi high instep and that last fits me perfectly. really not willing to gamble on any other lasts....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    rain last. i have a semi high instep and that last fits me perfectly. really not willing to gamble on any other lasts....
    Ah I see. Rain last is TTS in US sizing, correct, so go a full size down from brannock to get the right UK last?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

I second this. I'm actually wearing blue suede bucks and grey chinos as i type this. Really the only thing the DON'T pair well with is dark wash blue jeans.

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I like suede but only for beaters.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholascrawford View Post
    I like suede but only for beaters.
    Same. I have a pair of suede loafers (bass weejuns) that get beat to hell. No desire to get "nicer" or more formal suede shoes. It's just not a look that I enjoy. I think I agree generally with @Scofield - suede shoes are a niche shoe. I just happen to really like the niche that gray suede loafers fill.