Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I regret to say...I am done with suede shoes

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)
    Funny, I feel like I reach for my suede shoes over my leather ones more and more frequently.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    725 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Which last are your Carminas on? Detroit last?
    rain last. i have a semi high instep and that last fits me perfectly. really not willing to gamble on any other lasts....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    rain last. i have a semi high instep and that last fits me perfectly. really not willing to gamble on any other lasts....
    Ah I see. Rain last is TTS in US sizing, correct, so go a full size down from brannock to get the right UK last?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    725 Post(s)
    Correct, at least that is what I did. I do have another pair of Carmina where I only sized down half a size and they fit well enough...but if I have a choice I'm sizing down a full size

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Correct, at least that is what I did. I do have another pair of Carmina where I only sized down half a size and they fit well enough...but if I have a choice I'm sizing down a full size
    Awesome, thanks, good to know! I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of Carmina jumper boots, and they're on the Rain last. Full size down, and possibly with an insole/thick socks if it's a tad on the roomy side (I have a low to medium in step).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    725 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Awesome, thanks, good to know! I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of Carmina jumper boots, and they're on the Rain last. Full size down, and possibly with an insole/thick socks if it's a tad on the roomy side (I have a low to medium in step).
    if you have any doubts, the experts on styleforum are very helpful

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    if you have any doubts, the experts on styleforum are very helpful
    I've been gathering sizing info on a variety of brands from r/goodyearwelt, and a few brands from SF. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me to check SF for Carmina. I'll check it out!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Same here, if I have an appropriate suede shoe I generally pick it over the non-suede.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Funny, I feel like I reach for my suede shoes over my leather ones more and more frequently.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    I agree with @Scofield ...I see them as a niche shoe. And living in south Texas it seems like the equivalent of a woman who owns a fur coat over here. I know some guys wear suede year round, but I have always perceived them not just as a seasonal shoe, but an actual cold weather shoe, which rarely happens here

So everytime I have thought about buying a pair of 380 AE or 450 Carmina suede shoes I just end up with another pair of leather shoes since it seems like a waste of money. I would not ever entertain spending CJ or EG money on suede.

I have a 10 year old pair or nubuck Rockport shoes I got when I was 22 and just got some suede Clark derbies in December but I don't see myself spending more than 150.00 on suede.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholascrawford View Post
    I like suede but only for beaters.
    Same. I have a pair of suede loafers (bass weejuns) that get beat to hell. No desire to get "nicer" or more formal suede shoes. It's just not a look that I enjoy. I think I agree generally with @Scofield - suede shoes are a niche shoe. I just happen to really like the niche that gray suede loafers fill.