Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "HIGH QUALITY" vs low quality underwear/undershirt thoughts, doubts

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)

"HIGH QUALITY" vs low quality underwear/undershirt thoughts, doubts

i've been wearing hanes crappy V neck undershirts, and hanes plaid boxers since I was like 12 I guess. it's probably the only thing that I haven't yet 'dappered' in my wardrobe do-over in the last five years.

As far as I'm concerned, these garments are just meant for a lifetime of gross toil and hardship. I think their only possible outcome after a year or so is being thrown in the trash. The hanes ones are maybe eh quality, but are quite right for the price I suppose. The waist bands in the boxers last quite a while, in fact, when compared to the other brands. My biggest beef is that the cotton V neck undershirts I buy are constantly too short, and don't stay tucked in with my dress shirts. THey start out long enough, but they always shrink upwards, and end up barely past belt length.

I never feel bad nuking the 3 packs of hanes underwear/undershirt collection every spring anyhow, since they're cheap to replace, but I get the feeling I might consider that I could be missing something, not going with a better brand instead. I always felt like since underwear can only be disposable it was a waste of money. Can someone convinve me i'm wrong about this?

Are there better brands that are worth buying into? will I somehow not have to throw them away after a year?

are there recommendations on brands?

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Uniqlo. I don't wear undershirts but I like their dry-fit tees, the v-necks are deep and the body of the shirt should be long enough. Just got another large order of their stuff actually, really like how slim the sleeves fit, which is important for undershirts IMO.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    ^^^ Beat me to it. The old Airisms are quite nice, but they also have new upgrades like mesh for more breathability, and a no-line variant (though I'm concerned about the non-stitched edges fraying after some time). I'll definitely get at least one mesh v-neck soon, flesh-colored for maximum invisibility.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I've been in the same camp for most of my life in regards to boxers and undershirts. I did buy some Flint & Tinder boxer briefs about a year ago during one of their sales and I have to say that they are on a different level as far as quality and comfort from pretty much every other underwear i've worn.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    I hunted undershirts for like....a long time. I am rather thin so my problem was always bunching from too much body bulk or the short thing you talk about. I tried all of the Hanes and Fruit varieties as well as CK options from Marshalls/TJ MAxx. I even tried the SuperPima from costco. The one that finally stuck with me was the JKY line at Target. They come to about $6 a shirt so they arent the cheapest but arent the most by far. The material is comfortable, they are long and stay tuckable for a decent amount of time. I do have to gently pull them to stretch it back out after the dryer but it isnt a big deal and they keep their shape. Those SuperPima from costco are super comfortable out of the box but the collars got wavy and they were too boxy for me. But if you aren't thin framed, they are decent shirts. I could deal with the wavy collar in exchange for the soft fabric.

For non-white undershorts I have actually picked up some t-shirts from H&M. They are soft and because everything from there was designed to fit a 14 year old boy, they are cut trim enough for undershirt use.

For my boxer briefs, I dont do anything other than the hanes tagless. They are comfortable, cheap, and actually last me a while.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    I am firmly in the "pay a little extra" camp for undershirts and underwear; it is, after all, the first layer on most of your body. I also have a longer torso, so undershirts staying tucked in has been the bane of my existence for years. I also honestly think that underwear/shirts, along with socks, are things where you need to give into the idea that you'll need to rotate in new / rotate out old after 1-1.5 years of use if you wear them regularly. And no one wants to wear (or to see you in) dirty/old underwear; that doesn't benefit anyone.

I tried and still currently use RibbedTee grey undershirts. They are seriously not cheap (around $15 each), but they're long, form fitting without being constricting, and my gf even likes how they look on their own (rarely a look I rock, except if I get home from work late and just toss on shorts/sweats for an hour or two before bed. Their elasticity goes a little with a lot of use, but are still useable, with the only real lifecycle shortener being yellow stains that I get out with oxyclean once or twice a year (I use antiperspirant, so it's a fact of life).

I get my boxer briefs (and socks) from Mack Weldon. Again, not cheap ($24 a pair), but the quality is amazing. The cotton/modal blend just works, and the style is great. I've been using these for a few years and have yet to need to toss a pair for wear or the elastic giving out. Their socks are also pretty nice.

For what it's worth, since they were mentioned earlier, I used to get Flint & Tinder, but they had trouble keeping boxer briefs in stock, which led me to leave the company as a customer--gladly so, as I would prefer Mack Weldon's over them anyway.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Hugo Boss boxer briefs from Costco have been pretty solid. I also buy boxer briefs from Jcrew when on steep discount, around $10 a pair. BR's boxer briefs are also really nice when you can get them at 50% during F&F sales. I also own FT boxer briefs and they are ridiculously comfortable, and was able to get half a dozen during one of their steep sales. If you have a bigger rotation, all the underwear lasts that much longer. I hear good things about exofficio but they're a little pricier. I think I'll try them when they drop again on Massdrop. The current one on MD doesn't have the style/size I want.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    I don't wear undershirts, but am of the firm opinion that, when it comes to underwear, your boys desire the very best. I only wear Saxx underwear. Despite the stupid name, there's some NASA grade technology behind the drawers. One Amazon review crows: "Testicular comfort at its best!"

https://www.saxxunderwear.com/?&utm_...FQeraQodt00DwQ

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Kirklands

Having tried several brands, i've found that the quality to cost ratio is quite high in the kirkland brand sold by costco. Also, having tried briefs, boxer briefs and boxers, i've concluded i find the boxers most comfortable and don't ride up.

Another thing i'd like to add is that for typical work day type activities, i prefer the 100% Pima cotton that the kirkland brand offers. However, if i have an active day ahead esp. with sports involved then i go for material that keeps me dry like the Exofficio ones that i bought from amazon. My 2 cents.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    "Me Undies...Me Undies...no more sweaty balls, ba-doop boop" (Bill Burr joke).

I haven't tried them, but I hear (obviously) and see ads for www.meundies.com a lot.