Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrinkles!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Wrinkles!

Anyone here have pesky dress shirt wrinkling issues? I've recently started wearing Spier and Mackay shirts, as the feel of the fabric is amazing, and with a simple dart in the back they fit me perfectly... The problem is, after my morning meetings, I'm feeling like a wrinkled mess. I've mostly worn non-iron in the past, but the Florida heat is just too much to keep that up; they are suffocatingly warm!

I wash my shirts on cold with fabric softener, hang dry, and then iron. I've heard that with more washes they should get softer and not wrinkle as easy, but they've been washed probably 5-7 times already, so I'm not sure when that would kick in.

Thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)
    Do you use starch? That helps, but you always have some amount of wrinkling. You might consider wearing a sport coat, blazer, or suit jacket during meetings. I know it isn't typical in many work environments, but if you can get away with wearing one, it will boost your professional image. Check out Joe Dappered's views on the topic:

http://dappered.com/2015/03/12-reaso...rs-more-often/

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    I don't wash shirts with fabric softener and while my S&M shirts aren't Brooks Brothers non-iron wrinkle-less, they hold up pretty well. I also starch every other wash so I get about 6 wears in between starching.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    627 Post(s)
    more starch! pour it on.

try other shirts, some shirt fabrics are just more apt to wrinkle anyhow.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    more starch! pour it on.

try other shirts, some shirt fabrics are just more apt to wrinkle anyhow.
    Any suggestions? I can't do CT, the amount of tailoring to get them to fit me is crazy. I have a wide chest to waist taper and big arms, but I'm only 5'9, so I perpetually have issues with fit Size wise I fit very nicely (with darts) in a S&M contemporary fit 15.5, or a slim fit 16 neck. I used to love the banana republic TSF, but I'm trying to solve the overheating, haha. 99 problems.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Overheating:
    Do you wear an undershirt? If you do ditch it
    Shave/trim your pits
    Put a fan in your office :P
    I haven't ever noticed non iron being hotter than iron fabric, all my non iron are CT so can't say I've tried others but it's never been noticeable IME. I have S&M shirts as well and they don't seem to wrinkle badly at all.

Wrinkling:
    Iron your shirts when they are damp out of the wash, don't let them dry then iron them, and of course some starch can help. Where are they wrinkling? If it's your elbow area....you're better off learning to be a nudist.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Overheating:
    Do you wear an undershirt? If you do ditch it
    Shave/trim your pits
    Put a fan in your office :P
    I haven't ever noticed non iron being hotter than iron fabric, all my non iron are CT so can't say I've tried others but it's never been noticeable IME. I have S&M shirts as well and they don't seem to wrinkle badly at all.

Wrinkling:
    Iron your shirts when they are damp out of the wash, don't let them dry then iron them, and of course some starch can help. Where are they wrinkling? If it's your elbow area....you're better off learning to be a nudist.
    They're wrinkling in the chest/midsection, it's possible I'm just not used to non-treated shirts as most of my previous have been non-iron. I can definitely tell I'm reaping the temperature benefits. It's night and day from my banana republic shirts. Florida heat and humidity is brutal! I have been letting my shirts dry before ironing, I can try damp pressing. Thanks for the tip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UndisputedSuitorOfRepute View Post
    They're wrinkling in the chest/midsection, it's possible I'm just not used to non-treated shirts as most of my previous have been non-iron. I can definitely tell I'm reaping the temperature benefits. It's night and day from my banana republic shirts. Florida heat and humidity is brutal! I have been letting my shirts dry before ironing, I can try damp pressing. Thanks for the tip!
    Definitely iron while they're damp, I found it's a lot better/easier.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UndisputedSuitorOfRepute View Post
    If they are dry, have a spray bottle of water, mist your shirts and let them sit for 5 mins. It's an effective way of making sure the shirt gets extra steam from iron and really eliminates wrinkles better.

How fitted are your shirts on your torso?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Definitely iron while they're damp, I found it's a lot better/easier.
    Just to clarify, does this help get wrinkles out while ironing, or help keep wrinkles out through wear? I have a pretty solid steam iron, it presses them out, but by the time I'm tucked and packed for work I'm wrinkly, and after my first meeting or two its very noticeable.

Thanks!