Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Suits- help!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Vegan Suits- help!

So I am set to be a groomsman for my friends wedding, and he is looking for a quality, affordable suit we can all wear. The problem is the suit he is looking at is made of 100% wool (I know the majority of suits contain wool), which, as someone who abstains from buying materials made from animals, I will not buy it. Luckily my friend is very open to the idea of exploring synthetic/non-wool suits, but he understandably wants it to be good quality and as affordable as the wool suit he was considering. I have done some researching and was able to find some decent-looking options, but none appear to look as good as the wool option (based on looks, which could just be the result of the wool suit having a far superior website with full page pics).

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to look/what the best options are when it comes to synthetic suits? The majority seem to be a polyester/viscose/rayon blend, and I know there are some cotton blend suits as well. My friend is hesitant about the poly blends being of inferior quality to wool, and he may be correct on some levels, but I believe poly at least lasts longer as long as it is well made. Also, the wedding will be in Colorado in the Fall, so nothing tropical, which might be more appropriate for cotton/linen. And please don't try to sell me on wool, I understand it's the standard but I am strictly looking at vegan options

For some reference of price/style, here is the suit he is considering: https://www.combatgent.com/weddings/...two-piece-suit

And here are some of the alternatives I've come across: Kenneth Cole / [URL="http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kenneth-cole-reaction-charcoal-pinstripe-slim-fit-suit?ID=2241161&CategoryID=22610&selectedSize=#fn= COLOR%3DGray%26SUIT_FIT%3DSlim%20Fit%26sp%3D1%26sp c%3D58%26ruleId%3D78%7CBS%7CBA%26slotId%3D3"]

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/c...8%26slotId%3D9

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/p...%26slotId%3D13

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Hilfiger.../dp/B00MNE3M6U

This one is a bit out of the price range, but close and seems nicer: http://us.topman.com/en/tmus/product...590?bi=0&ps=20

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Good to see another vegan on the forum - I thought I might have been the only one. Both Suit Supply and Brooks Brothers have a decent selection of non wool suits - although they are cotton / linen, so your temperature concerns are an issue.

You may want to check out Brave GentleMan, as they do a lot of really good vegan clothing as well. I haven't checked there in some time, but I do know they have vegan suits.

I would suggest poking around Brooks Brothers and Suit Supply to start with, though. They have a number of good options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Oh, also Vaute Couture is a good source for vegan formal wear. They cater much more to women than men, but they will occasionally have a vegan suit that floats through there.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    It's your friend's wedding right? Don't make him compromise for you. Get whatever suit you want for yourself and just let him know you'll do your best to make sure it fits in with what he's getting the rest of the crew. Or have him ask his fiancee if she's okay w/ groomsmen all wearing their own suits of a similar shade. Honestly nobody's really looking at you. If it bothers her so much just stand at the outer edge of all the photos with enough space from your adjacent groomsman so they can crop you out.

And not trying to convince you but I certainly hope you're not basing your vegan clothing decision on free will because that's certainly not what you're practicing with your friend

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about the standards of vegans and the clothing they wear. That being said, the first thing that came to my mind was cotton. I know you said it's going to be a fall wedding, in a Colorado fall nonetheless, but there are some fairly dense, heavy cotton weaves that would feel quite hefty. If you or the groom could find a thick cotton weave, combined with a lined jacket, and maybe even make it a 3-piece for an added layer of warmth, that might fit the bill for what you need.

I'm not entirely sure where to find what I described above lol, but perhaps if some other forum members agree with me, they could make some specific suggestions. The issue you'll find with a poly suit is that for one, poly doesn't breathe well. If yourself and/or the groom don't plan to wear this suit again, then maybe it won't be a big deal. But if you intend to wear this suit anytime in the future, particularly in warm weather, poly will sweat you out. Additionally, many poly suits come with a fused lining, which means dry cleaning can lead to a warped appearance after a few cleans. This is why most of us try to avoid polyester as a suiting fabric.

My 2 cents would be to go with a natural fiber like cotton. Take it for what it's worth, as I know little to nothing about the vegan lifestyle, but hopefully this gave you something to work with!

EDIT: Spelling/Sentence structure

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatTim View Post
    Oh, also Vaute Couture is a good source for vegan formal wear. They cater much more to women than men, but they will occasionally have a vegan suit that floats through there.
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out! I checked out Brave Gentleman, it didn't seem to have many options, especially more basic wedding suits like the ones we are looking for. Yeah, I wish sites like Combatant Gentleman offered some more synthetic options, it's hard to find decent suits, especially ones that you can customize weddings/other occasions with big orders :/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    http://www.jcpenney.com/jf-j-ferrar-...140iu/cat.jump

poly/viscose/spandex

Almost every department store has a poly suit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    It's your friend's wedding right? Don't make him compromise for you. Get whatever suit you want for yourself and just let him know you'll do your best to make sure it fits in with what he's getting the rest of the crew. Or have him ask his fiancee if she's okay w/ groomsmen all wearing their own suits of a similar shade. Honestly nobody's really looking at you. If it bothers her so much just stand at the outer edge of all the photos with enough space from your adjacent groomsman so they can crop you out.

And not trying to convince you but I certainly hope you're not basing your vegan clothing decision on free will because that's certainly not what you're practicing with your friend
    Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts. I did let him know that I respect that it's his wedding and if he chooses to go with the wool suit I am happy to try and find one that matches as closely as possible. He really wants us all to match, and so would prefer if we all had the same suit. Obviously, that might not be possible, and I would feel a little bad if I am the only one standing out (though I think I can match the color pretty closely). I agree though, nobody is really paying attention to anyone besides the bride and groom.

My vegan decision is an ethical one, not one of free will. But I will certainly grant my friend free will since he does not share the same ethical views as me (as much as I wish he would, that would make this much easier! ).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks @winghaus, I have noticed that, there does seem to be a decent collection out there across brands (though they all do tend to fall on the lower price end it seems, implying that they are inferior to materials like wool).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Haha, no worries @hillch12, I don't think most people do know! (Heck, I don't even know much, hence why I'm here!). Thanks for the info though, that's very helpful. I'll see if I can find some suits made with natural materials like cotton. From some of the ones I've seen, they don't have quite the dressy look that the wool suits have. They look a bit more rugged/casual. But I'll keep looking, maybe there are some blends out there that look better!