Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Suits- help!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CShap View Post
    Haha, no worries @hillch12, I don't think most people do know! (Heck, I don't even know much, hence why I'm here!). Thanks for the info though, that's very helpful. I'll see if I can find some suits made with natural materials like cotton. From some of the ones I've seen, they don't have quite the dressy look that the wool suits have. They look a bit more rugged/casual. But I'll keep looking, maybe there are some blends out there that look better!
    Best of luck! Hopefully some of the bright guys around here will be able to help you a bit more than I could!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I would strongly suggest that you talk to your friend about the groomsmen wearing similar suits rather than forcing everyone to buy identical suits. Not only will you be happier choosing a suit that you like and are comfortable with, so will everyone else. If you all wear, e.g. navy suits, no one will look out of place. You will stand out far more if you're in a cotton suit and everyone else is in the same wool suit than if you all choose different but similar suits.

If your friend insists on everyone buying the same suit, and you cannot wear wool, then I'd probably recommend cotton over linen since this is clearly intended to be at least semi formal given the desire for matching suits. Cotton linen blend could work but will still likely wrinkle a decent bit. Pure linen is unlikely to be a good option because overly wrinkled suits don't exactly say formal.

Check out J Crew for sure. If nothing else, this cotton dinner jacket looks amazing: https://www.jcrew.com/p/C4698

I think Suit Supply might have a cotton tux, too, though I know you didn't specifically ask for tuxes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Watch the interlining. Clearly, if you are buying a cheap suit, that won't be a problem as it will surely be all viscose/poly interlining. But, a nicer suit may well use some percentage horsehair interlining. Buttons are also going to be tricky as nice suits use horn, mother of pearl, shell, etc.

There are some nice suits in ramie, but they are mostly women's skirt suits. Using this type of material for men's suits appears more popular in Asia, especially Japan.

For 100% no animal products, polyester is going to be the best bet with fused interlining made of viscose/polyester and plastic buttons.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    I would strongly suggest that you talk to your friend about the groomsmen wearing similar suits rather than forcing everyone to buy identical suits. Not only will you be happier choosing a suit that you like and are comfortable with, so will everyone else.
    While mismatched wedding parties are definitely back in fashion as well as being a completely practical thing to do... I would think it would be odd as a groomsman to approach the groom with this. It would be even more uncomfortable if while the groom agreed, the bride happened to be a little controlling over this aspect.

Tbh, while most exact match groom's wedding parties I have witnessed were horrible, I would personally steer well clear of messing with those kind of plans.

Edit: also, and I don't know how accurate this is, but I've heard before that the entire matchy-matchy wedding party tradition came from trying to throw off spirits. That is, wedding parties look like each other so that the bad wedding juju demons will get confused.
    Last edited by ianr; March 30th, 2016 at 12:05 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmichaelray View Post
    I would think it would be odd as a groomsman to approach the groom with this.
    Ordinarily I would agree, but I think this is a special situation because the usual "shut up and wear what the bride says" advice has already been rejected. The options at this point seem to be:

1. Everyone wears a matching vegan suit.
    2. Everyone wears matching wool suits except @CShap.
    3. Everyone gets a non-matching suit.

#3 seems like the best option to me unless everyone (and by everyone I mean the bride and groom) falls in love with a vegan suit, which really doesn't seem likely if they're the kind of people who pictured everyone in matching worsted wool charcoal suits.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CShap View Post
    (though they all do tend to fall on the lower price end it seems, implying that they are inferior to materials like wool).
    Unfortunately, they probably are. Not only is there not a booming market for top quality non-wool suiting, but there isn't a market for top quality synthetic suiting cloth, or fiber.

But I'm sure if you get the best quality you can, it will be nice. Just go to a tailor, and get it fit to you and it will look a million times better than a rental tux.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    The groom is good enough friends with @CShap to put him in his party, he probably knew the vegan thing was part of the package. I kept my party small so if one of the guys that made the cut had beliefs that he had to wear unlined burlap only, then he could wear burlap. I wouldn't but he could. But thats just how I am. The ceremony means less to me than the people in it. So I am going to operate ont he assumption that the groom is willing to work with him. What time of day is the wedding and how formal? I was thinking that a chino suit would be pretty good choice for a casual-ish daytime wedding. It would actually work for everyone to because I am betting it would get more use than a full on wool suit. Lets be honest, most guys hardly ever have an excuse to suit up. Making it more casual in chino allows it in more circumstances.

One problem with most synthetic suits is they may look ok on the hanger and in some pics but the fabric doesn't move as well and when it wears it gets shiny instead of just softening like natural fibers. OK, that is two problems.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    Unfortunately, they probably are. Not only is there not a booming market for top quality non-wool suiting, but there isn't a market for top quality synthetic suiting cloth, or fiber.

But I'm sure if you get the best quality you can, it will be nice. Just go to a tailor, and get it fit to you and it will look a million times better than a rental tux.
    Yeah, it definitely appears to be that way. But thanks, I a well-fitting suit does look good, regardless of the fabric

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for laying out, I think those are pretty much the options too. #3 makes sense to me, even though I definitely see the appeal of us all matching. Especially if these are suits we are going to keep, it makes sense to get one that we will want to wear again outside of the wedding. I'll try and push that thought at least

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks @idvsego. You're right, my friend certainly cares more about the people than the suits, although I think he anticipates that he could just pick a suit and have everyone wear it, so this wasn't exactly his original plan. If it were my wedding, I certainly wouldn't care much what my fellow groomsmen wore, as long as it fell within reasonable boundaries of course. I'm not entirely sure about the time/formality of the wedding yet, but I think it will be fairly traditional in it's formality (though maybe a little more "mountain town" casual), and I assume late afternoon-ish. I do like the Chino suit as a casual suit, and that might be a convincing argument. I would definitely be more likely to wear that again over a more formal dress-suit.

And noted with the synthetic suit problems ha