Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mastering the Laundry

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Mastering the Laundry

Hoping for some guidance. It seems everything I put in the wash comes out somehow worse.
    Issues Range from:
    1) Continually shrinking T-shirts (I keep anything I cant afford to let shrink out of the dryer, but T-shirts?)
    2) Crazy wrinkled pant legs (like wont budge with a steamer and have to go over several times with an iron)
    3) Crazy wrinkled dress shirt arms, placards, and collars
    4) Polo collars wont stay flat
    5) Some of my clothes collect specks of dirt like crazy no matter how many times I lint roll

Are there solutions to these problems? I feel like I need to step my laundry/garment-care game up.

Thanks in advance!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    For the shrinking, you use cold water? Dryer or hang dry?

For the wrinkling, how long do you let it sit in the dryer/hamper til you hang or fold?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    2. What type of pants? Pants are generally pretty easy to iron unless you are washing dry clean only pants
    3. Hang drying shirts on a hanger can help. When iron I have a spray bottle handy to help and also have the steam setting on.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    1) cold water only, hang dry. I still have to stretch some of my cheaper tees back out a little.
    2) get a spray bottle and get that fabric nice and wet, then run a warm dry iron over it to dry.
    3) same. I take mine from washer to hanger and air dry, but that isnt required. I have a tendency to let clothes sit int he dryer forever and get wrinkles very set.
    4) dont buy polos? I dont know. I dont have any.
    5) nature of some fabrics maybe? Not all cotton is created equal, I know that.

also, buy a good iron. I have this one and really like it. Better than my past Sharks that cost more money. It was on sale and I had one of those 20% off coupons so I got a great deal. check typical sources.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    For pant legs and shirt sleeves, I make sure to untwist and flatten them out (for pants I usually fold them once too) before transferring them to the dryer. At least for me, they have a tendency to twist in the washing machine. If I leave them like that the drier just steams the wrinkles in, but if I flatten them out first they're usually fine. I also find that doing really large load tends to make everything wrinklier. The only clothes I air dry are sweaters and my girlfriend's bras.

Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    2) get a spray bottle and get that fabric nice and wet, then run a warm dry iron over it to dry.
    I was taught to iron using a spray bottle. I feel like it works a lot better than the steam function on an iron.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Just out of curiousity: when was last time you had your washer and dryer cleaned? Does your washing machine have a center post/spindle? And do know if you have hard or soft water in your area? Those things can really impact how your clothes come out of the wash.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    1. Wash whenever reasonable with COLD water.

2. Dry if possible at LOW temps.

3. UNDERFILL your loads. Many of your semi-permanent wrinkles that require multiple passes with an iron come from overfilling and clothing getting tangled. Try about half the clothes you ordinarily do.

It's not a cure all, but those three steps will help most fabrics fare well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    are 2-4 distinct from just generally not wanting to iron your clothes?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    are 2-4 distinct from just generally not wanting to iron your clothes?
    Lol... Maybe I should have answered with my smart-ass response... Get a wife

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Lol... Maybe I should have answered with my smart-ass response... Get a wife
    That's 50/50 at best, trust me.