Thread: Mastering the Laundry

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerpenguin View Post
    That's 50/50 at best, trust me.
    Oh, I know. I do the laundry in my house. Well, I do all of mine and iron for every one. My wife wears scrubs every day so her laundering needs are minimal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    1) Continually shrinking T-shirts

I wash all colors in cold water and buy pre-shrunk t-shirts...never had an issue.

2) Crazy wrinkled pant legs

3) Crazy wrinkled dress shirt arms, placards, and collars

Are you putting too much in your washer/dryer? I try not to stuff the thing full so there's room for everything to move around a bit. All my dress shirts right now are non-iron so I don't have any wrinkles as I hate ironing. I only wash them once a month or so. For pants, the only thing that would be wrinkled is chinos, which tend to smooth out enough if I fold them out of the dryer. My nicer pants are all wool and don't get washed.

4) Polo collars wont stay flat

Can't help you with this one. Some of my cotton polos have the curls which are awful. I may just switch over to button down collars.

5) Some of my clothes collect specks of dirt like crazy no matter how many times I lint roll

Maybe try a dryer sheet?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Specks of dirt: Turn it inside out before washing. Shrinking: Cold water and lay flat on the bed after halfway dry in the dryer, to dry fully. Polo collars: Lay flat after partially dry in the dryer, and mold collar to your liking. Pants, same.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

2) Crazy wrinkled pant legs

3) Crazy wrinkled dress shirt arms, placards, and collars

Are you putting too much in your washer/dryer? I try not to stuff the thing full so there's room for everything to move around a bit.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. how full is too full? Should I aim for half of the bin, three quarters?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    627 Post(s)
    you can usually fill it up to the top of where water fills in. but loosely.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    To be honest I only wash clothes I really care about and the wife takes care of the rest.

About once per month, I gather up all my dress shirts and sweaters to wash them. I wash in cold water with low agitation and only use detergent. For dress shirts (all non iron) and polos, I put them in the dryer on low heat for 15 minutes just to take out the wrinkles and excess moisture, then I hang them to finish drying. Sweaters all get hung on a drying rack straight out of the washer. Again, dress pants are wool dry clean only and get taken to the cleaners a few times per year.

Everything else will go through the normal dryer cycle but I like to use less heat and a shorter amount of time rather than risk shrinking.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I am super picky about laundry and don't let anyone touch most of mine. So I already follow basically every suggestion above. However, I had never thought to shake out clothes before they get put in the dryer if they are all spun up in the wash. Most clothes come out of the wash fine, but I'll do that when they are all twisted.
    Brilliant. Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    Polo collars wont stay flat
    Polo collars are like socks: the knitted fabric simply loses its shape after a while. You can ameliorate this by getting polos with dress shirt (rather than roll) collars.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    Polo collars are like socks: the knitted fabric simply loses its shape after a while. You can ameliorate this by getting polos with dress shirt (rather than roll) collars.

Don't mean to hijack but who makes that polo & does it come in navy?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjn082 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack but who makes that polo & does it come in navy?
    It's a Kent Wang and yes, they come in lots of colors.