Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite navy blazer combination?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

Favorite navy blazer combination?

If you're going for an "one blazer to rule them all" approach, I'd personally suggest a navy that is a little lighter in shade and not a midnight navy (but don't go cobalt blue), have a little texture (vs. a smooth worsted wool) and go with brown horn buttons over brass/metal. Those items make it a little more interesting, while still maintaining its versatility, and IMO it looks a little less traditional/boring/stodgy. And have it have soft shoulders, but not completely unstructured as @ac6 mentioned.

Mine that I like / some examples:

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Sorry to hijack... How many navy blazers or sport coats do ya'll own? I've got one tweed, one cashmere, two hopsack (one lined, one half lined), one Chino, one light wool (super 150s), another very casual unconstructed jcf wool. So 7? I want to get another bonobos summer wool next...

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    They're all just blue/navy? Seems like overkill to me -- there are too many other interesting sportcoats to dedicate 7 to the same color (and no pattern). That being said, I technically have 3 navy sportcoats: the wool above (Knot Standard), a very casual unconstructure chino (Bonobos) and a heathered linen that is technically a suit coat (SuSu ... pants didn't fit, but jacket was amazing). Linen just for summer use, casual rarely gets use after I got the wool one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    They're all just blue/navy? Seems like overkill to me -- there are too many other interesting sportcoats to dedicate 7 to the same color (and no pattern). That being said, I technically have 3 navy sportcoats: the wool above (Knot Standard), a very casual unconstructure chino (Bonobos) and a heathered linen that is technically a suit coat (SuSu ... pants didn't fit, but jacket was amazing). Linen just for summer use, casual rarely gets use after I got the wool one.
    Lol, I have 5 different shades of Browns (corduroy, guncheck, Windowpane, houndstooth), 4 greys/charcoals (tweed, herringbone, corduroy, nail head, etc) , another blue window pain I forgot about.

So I have options, but I love the navies the most!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Just a colorblind guy wondering why you choose brown shoes with the grey pants. Isn't black the better option for grey pants? Is the navy blazer the reason?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Just a colorblind guy wondering why you choose brown shoes with the grey pants. Isn't black the better option for grey pants? Is the navy blazer the reason?
    My thoughts on this:

1) Brown is preferable to black on any occasion in which brown goes to even a minimal extent. Black is never good; the best it manages is be is not bad.
    2) Black is definitely the wrong choice with light grey or any fabric other than wool.
    3) Black is probably the wrong choice with medium grey and even with the lighter end of dark grey.
    4) Black may be the right choice with charcoal (i.e. very dark grey). But, even then, very dark brown or a darker burgundy - one that isn't too red - might still be better.

I guess I'm opinionated but unconventional on this topic.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    Lol, I have 5 different shades of Browns (corduroy, guncheck, Windowpane, houndstooth), 4 greys/charcoals (tweed, herringbone, corduroy, nail head, etc) , another blue window pain I forgot about.

So I have options, but I love the navies the most!
    Fair enough -- that's quite the sportcoat selection! I'm in suits more often than not, so haven't focused on them, but am starting to wear them more often. In addition to the blues, I have a brown (with blue plaid), grey cord, tan/brown linen glen plaid, and have a blue/grey check incoming (along with some new suits). I do want to get a guncheck (thanks mainly to seeing one posted in WIWT that is badass) and probably some sort of tweed (TBD on color) for fall/winter. Maybe after that a light blue with windowpane or something funky like that. Blues are definitely easiest to pair and just look great@

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

This is me in a navy blazer. I prefer to wear a navy blazer with gray pants that are significantly lighter in color than the navy jacket. The rest is just details. Also looks good with tan/light brown pants.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    My thoughts on this:

1) Brown is preferable to black on any occasion in which brown goes to even a minimal extent. Black is never good; the best it manages is be is not bad.
    2) Black is definitely the wrong choice with light grey or any fabric other than wool.
    3) Black is probably the wrong choice with medium grey and even with the lighter end of dark grey.
    4) Black may be the right choice with charcoal (i.e. very dark grey). But, even then, very dark brown or a darker burgundy - one that isn't too red - might still be better.

I guess I'm opinionated but unconventional on this topic.
    Have you tried wearing a nice pair of sleek black chelseas or similar shoe to go with your mid-gray pants? You may be surprised. I love my Black AE Fifth Streets, I wear them quite often with my trimmer-cut gray pants. A standard look I wore last fall was navy leather jacket/navy sportcoat, white Spier & Mackay OCBD, gray Epaulet hopsack pants, and the black Fifth Street boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Fair enough -- that's quite the sportcoat selection! I'm in suits more often than not, so haven't focused on them, but am starting to wear them more often. In addition to the blues, I have a brown (with blue plaid), grey cord, tan/brown linen glen plaid, and have a blue/grey check incoming (along with some new suits). I do want to get a guncheck (thanks mainly to seeing one posted in WIWT that is badass) and probably some sort of tweed (TBD on color) for fall/winter. Maybe after that a light blue with windowpane or something funky like that. Blues are definitely easiest to pair and just look great@
    I luckily thrifted and awesome Brooks brothers guncheck for $30 at a good will. Fit perfect off the rack!

I have to wear a jacket every day and I don't like suits as much (too formal), so coats are my thing. I also live in 4 season territory, so some of those are strictly warm or cold weather gear. I also have to get rid of some... They all don't fit well.

I'd like to have 3 navy, 2 brown and 1 grey in both seasonal weights, so 12 (6 cold and 6 warm weather) all together.

Anyway, navy is the easiest to match with. Add grey pants and your shirt tie combo are endless.