Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with fit on Allen Edmonds 5 last

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Question Struggling with fit on Allen Edmonds 5 last

Greetings, forum. I have spent weeks and taken multiple trips to the AE store to find the right fit in AE's 5 last. I don't want to give up on this last - I think it offers the best design, quality, and cost. I would appreciate any input on the best size.

On the Brannock, I am between a 12B/12C, but the 12B and 12C shoes do not fit snugly on my heel - there is heel slippage. I currently wear the 11.5D, which fits nicely on my heel and offers the best toe space, but the lace gap (V-gap) is too large (1"). If I tie it any tighter, the tongue presses down on my foot and makes my feet red by the end of the day. I don't even have a high instep. 11.5E is too wide, since it has bowing around the heel. I even tried 11D and 11E, but length-wise they don't fit.

Should I just continue wearing the 11.5Ds, hoping my pants will cover the large V-gap?

Edit: I should specify that I am trying on the balmorals (Park Avenues and Strands).
    Last edited by po_5; March 1st, 2016 at 10:32 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    The 5 last is very long and somewhat narrow, so it makes sense that you'd have to size down on it. I wear a 12 in most sneakers - and even some leather shoes, such as J. Crew's Kenton line and Banana Republic shoes - and yet I'm an 11D on the 5 last. On most dress shoes, I'm an 11.5.

So, 11.5D is probably the right size for you, but you could try 11.5B or 11.5C (not many shoes sold in a C, for some reason).

In all honesty, though, if the fit is right, I wouldn't worry too much about the gap. Your pants will cover most of it, and few other people really care.
    Last edited by srlclark; March 1st, 2016 at 04:01 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    It could be because you have a high instep, or just a very full foot. The last isn't for everyone, and if you are desperate to keep it, either deal with the wider v-gap (I didn't know wide v-gaps were an issue until reading this post), or stick to your brannock size and get an insole to minimize heel slip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I go really snug on the 5 last and after a dozen wears or so they fit perfectly. I am midway between and 11 and 11.5 c/d on a Brannock but go down to a 10.5D on the 5 last. I have a pair of Park Avenues in 11D but they are just a little too long. The 10.5D are very snug and after a long day my "dogs are barking" but as I said, after about a dozen days or so they fit like a glove. You may just have to lace it tight and deal with the redness for a few wears. Or it may be that the 5 last just isn't for you. I have that problem with a handful of last from other shoemakers being that I am kind of an in-between size (between an 11 and 11.5 and a C and D); Some shoes just aren't made for my feet.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Oddly, I measure 10.5 C on a Brannock, and that is the only size that fits me well in a Strand/PArk Ave. I had crazy heel slippage in both the 10 and 10.5 D's. I'm typically a 10 in other shoes.
    Last edited by Alex.C; March 1st, 2016 at 12:20 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Shoes come in different shapes for a reason. If the 5 last doesn't work for you, why try to force your foot into it? There are a multitude of other options that may fit you better. I would move on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I'm having the same trouble with this last. It pinches my toes since I am between sizes. A 12 is small and a 13 is too large. Problem is many of the shoes on the 5 last do not come in a 12.5 which would probably fit me just right. I keep trying because I like the look of the shoes on the 5 last and can't afford some of the other options. My budget only allows for shoebank seconds and the sizes/styles are limited. I am thinking of taking mine to a cobbler and seeing if they could stretch them a bit for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassoonguy View Post
    I'm having the same trouble with this last. It pinches my toes since I am between sizes. A 12 is small and a 13 is too large. Problem is many of the shoes on the 5 last do not come in a 12.5 which would probably fit me just right. I keep trying because I like the look of the shoes on the 5 last and can't afford some of the other options. My budget only allows for shoebank seconds and the sizes/styles are limited. I am thinking of taking mine to a cobbler and seeing if they could stretch them a bit for me.
    The Shoe Bank has 12.5. http://shoebank.com/ Don't expect stretching to do much -- I've had shoes stretched and the change was minimal -- I would go with the 12.5D.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by po_5 View Post
    The Shoe Bank has 12.5. http://shoebank.com/ Don't expect stretching to do much -- I've had shoes stretched and the change was minimal -- I would go with the 12.5D.
    From now on, I will whenever possible. But the selection is very limited in the 12.5. Sometimes I'm looking for a particular style or price point.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    i have a high instep, and i fit 5 last stuff pretty good in my actual width.

but you'll always have some gap, my advice would be just to be ok with it, or start looking at derbys.