Thread: brooks brothers strand vs AE Strands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

brooks brothers strand vs AE Strands

i can get a pair of walnut brooks brothers strands for $157. or AE for 239. is the quality the same? i figured id go on and get the AE but if theyre the same shoe made with same quality leather aside from the rubber sole then maybe ill save almost $100 and get the BB

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    I have a pair of the BB 5th Avenues, and AE Park Aves, Strand, and other 65-last shoes. The BB were my first shoe, so I didn't realize the different in fit until I got the Park Ave as my second pair.

The difference you'll notice in fit is that because of the poron insole, your foot does not sink into the shoe at much. Now that I've had the 5th Ave for more than a couple years, I don't notice it as much, as I assume the insole has flattened somewhat.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quoted
    839 Post(s)
    The rubber topy is useful and usually costs something extra from AE. Aside from the insole difference, the Brooks version is worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burban View Post
    I have a pair of the BB 5th Avenues, and AE Park Aves, Strand, and other 65-last shoes. The BB were my first shoe, so I didn't realize the different in fit until I got the Park Ave as my second pair.

The difference you'll notice in fit is that because of the poron insole, your foot does not sink into the shoe at much. Now that I've had the 5th Ave for more than a couple years, I don't notice it as much, as I assume the insole has flattened somewhat.
    would that make the BB fit more snug?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robs View Post
    Yes, it does, especially if you have a fairly high instep, like I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Yes, it does, especially if you have a fairly high instep, like I do.
    perhaps i should stick with AE then. i tried on the strands and they fit perfect. pretty snug i dont think i would want em any snugger

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robs View Post
    Yes, the BB Fifth Ave was my first pair of AE shoes, and they were kind of snug, so when I got my first pair of AE Strands I ordered them a half-size larger. Wasn't until I got to a AE store that I realized that the fit was different because of the insole. The BB Fifth Ave broke into after a while though, and now I don't feel a difference.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    515 Post(s)
    I have some AE/BB shoe and it has COATED LEATHER. I would suggest you check that it doesn't have that.

ones on the Brooks Brothers site that say "These.... are made from genuine leather" you may want to be weary of.

it's usually not like, bad coated leather, it's usually pretty top-shelf as coated-leather goes, but not really the thing I was looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I have BB Strand and Park ave, can't tell any quality difference between the BB Park ave and my AE Park ave besides the rubber topy and insole which I prefer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I have BB Strands from the last shoebank sale and they're just as nice (and are in fact a richer / slightly more burnished walnut) as McAllisters purchased from my local AE retail store. The instep is a little more snug (a bit more of a "V" on the laces) but not enough to make it a bother for my 10.5E feet. My instep is average so I preferred the rubberized sole and way cheaper price.

EDIT: also seconds will have imperfections, visible or not. Sometimes they're terrible mis-dyed parts of the shoes, sometimes they're tiny smudges like on mine. I'll gladly save $80 for a little smudge (and gain a rubberized sole)
    http://i.imgur.com/wT6yR2O.jpg