Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone else into vinyl?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeGarcia View Post
    If you're a jazz or classical fan and you're not listening to vinyl, you're cheating yourself. You could establish a fantastic collection just by spending a few afternoons and $50-100 at Goodwill and the like picking through their records.
    Absolutely. Or, if you're not into jazz or classical yet but have even a moderate setup that highlights a fuller range of sound, jazz and classical highlight the virtuosity and depth of vinyl probably better than other genres. Listening to the instrumentation on vinyl through decent speakers can definitely get you into both forms. And the records are dirt cheap at goodwill or other used stores.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    How is everyone doing their actual setup of equipment in your rooms? Mine currently is taking up space on an open book shelf, however that leads to problems in storing the records, and ease of using the table. I'd prefer some type of stand alone cabinet that can house some (not necessarily all) records, the tablle and speakers. Any recommendation would help.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjanastasi View Post
    How is everyone doing their actual setup of equipment in your rooms? Mine currently is taking up space on an open book shelf, however that leads to problems in storing the records, and ease of using the table. I'd prefer some type of stand alone cabinet that can house some (not necessarily all) records, the tablle and speakers. Any recommendation would help.
    I have my turntable and powered shelf speakers sitting on top of a long, narrow bookcase. The dimensions are probably 72" x 39" x 16". It gives enough room to space things out in a way that doesn't mess with the sound or transfer vibrations to the stylus. The actual shelving below, which is made up of 10 squares, 5 across and 2 down, are filled with books, as it would probably take at least 500 LPs to come close to filling them and at the moment I only have about 100-150 in my collection. My records are against an adjacent wall in stacked wooden crates from Target. We're quickly filing those, so I'm looking for other solutions as well. Too many books and too many LPs. It's another price to pay for an analog life.

There are a lot of dedicated shelving units out there, though. It kind of depends on your price range and how much room/how many LPs you have. Another option is to put your turntable on a wall mounted shelf. Apparently, it's the best way to place a turntable. My life won't let me mess with the mounting brackets though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    If anyone is interested, I recently joined the Vinyl Me, Please (http://vinylmeplease.com) record of the month club. Every month you get a curated limited edition record, usually on awesome colored vinyl, plus a limited edition art print and a custom cocktail recipe. The art prints are cool enough, and the cocktail recipes are novel, but the vinyl on its own is totally worth it. You also get access to a member store that has limited edition records, some other curated picks, access to past records of the month, etc.

If you're interested in joining, hit me with a PM and I can send you a code that'll get both of us credit to their member store. I've had it two months and am pleased with it. I think it's a good value.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)
    Yup, great show.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hey All,

I'm completely new to the Dappered forums and this vinyl thread caught my eye. I'm a 50-something guy, so I was listening to vinyl when it was the ONLY choice. CDs arrived, then digital downloads and all my vinyl stuff got stuffed into storage. About 3 years ago when the vinyl resurrection started, I decided I would dust off my gear and start listening. All my records and stereo gear were vintage. I had a Yamaha CA-800 integrated amp, Denon 30DP-3L direct drive turntable with a Grado cartridge and a pair of compact KEF speakers. My amp had managed to develop a loud hum in one channel and the local vintage repair guy declared it unfixable. My wife bought me an NAD C316BEE integrated amp for my birthday and I set things up in our bedroom.

I dug out my original copies of some favorite records like REM-Murmur, Carol King-Tapestry, Miles Davis-Kind of Blue and we sat around for hours rediscovering favorite music. That's the good news. The bad news is that I had been bitten by the vinyl/stereo bug. I started reading Stereophile.com and music forums. I started upgrading gear. First I got a pair of highly rated Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers and they sounded so much better than the old KEFs. I found a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge on super discount at a local record store and upgraded the old turntable. Each of these steps produced quantum leaps in sound quality. Next I found an Exposure 2010S integrated amp and replaced the NAD. The nice thing is that I was able to easily sell every piece of gear so the upgrades were pretty painless. My current (and I think pretty much final) set-up is a Manley Labs integrated tube amp, Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers, VPI Traveler turntable with a Dynavector 20X2 cartridge. Everything was purchased used or on close-out from sellers on Audiogon.com.

I had a substantial vinyl collection of about 300 records. Honestly, some of the music sounds pretty dated but I've been combing local and online record stores and found some amazing gems. My wife was in a band back in her youth and she shares my enjoyment of vinyl and music. It's become something we do together just about every day so I would say after everything is said and done this has been a wonderful investment in my daily happiness!

I read some of the posts here about the joy of a simple set-up and I agree that you don't need to spend a lot of cash to have a good set-up. That being said, a little more cash can really upgrade the sound. If anyone wants to pick my brain for some stereo set-ups, I definitely have an opinion and might be able to help you avoid some pitfalls and save some cash.

Happy listening!
    Last edited by highzoot; July 13th, 2016 at 06:02 PM.