Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Furniture recommendations.

  1. #1
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

    Furniture recommendations.

    I will be finishing up a housing remodel in next few weeks and I am starting to look for ideas online and locally that have decent pricing on pieces. I've looked at the usual suspects, local big box furniture stores, Ikea, etc. As well as online stores like Amazon and Overstock.com. Any recommendations of online stores that have reasonable pricing on furniture that I could take a look at? Thanks in advance. For reference, I like the looks of something that you could find in an LL Bean catalog, but not limited to that look either. I really dont know to be honest. Just looking for ideas. Mostly living room and kitchen ideas. Also free shipping would be ideal. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,224
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    All depends on the item for me. For sofa's nothing is better than my crate and barrel one I got, so comfortable and has held up very well over about 6 years. I usually keep an eye on craigslist. I'd rather buy a higher quality item used then pay new. Especially if you can buy all wood items. The particle board stuff from ikea works for bookcases and the like but in general won't last.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    All depends on the item for me. For sofa's nothing is better than my crate and barrel one I got, so comfortable and has held up very well over about 6 years. I usually keep an eye on craigslist. I'd rather buy a higher quality item used then pay new. Especially if you can buy all wood items. The particle board stuff from ikea works for bookcases and the like but in general won't last.
    Thanks, I will have to check out both and I agree with the quality statement. I'm looking for a sofa, love sear, coffee table, end tables, and small square kithen table for right now. Thanks for the rec.!

  4. #4
    Varsity Member Deke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    669
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    This might be one of the big stores you checked out already (I honestly have no clue how ubiquitous it is), but have you looked at World Market? I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for cushioned furniture, but it has some cool, non bank busting options for tables and such.

  5. #5
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    This might be one of the big stores you checked out already (I honestly have no clue how ubiquitous it is), but have you looked at World Market? I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for cushioned furniture, but it has some cool, non bank busting options for tables and such.
    Havent checked them out yet, but I will, and I appreciate the heads up.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,761
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    The furniture rabbit hole. A couch is an area you want to spend the most money as it will probably have the most seat time. After that you go accent chairs and then everything else. For a couch, I would stay away from boxed, chain retailers and find something with one location. The cost may be higher but the quality will be leaps and bounds better.

    Everything else, I feel auctions are a great place to find things. New England is a dense population area so you can probably find a ton of different styles that fit what you are going for. I am looking for some Chippendale mahogany chairs for our dining room and cost is variable based on how intricate the detail but auctions are a great place to save money. Older more solid built items. But like I said, a couch may be best bought new then everything else at auction.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member JohnG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    I can't recommend a particular store or brand, but when we moved into our new house, I found the website and app Houzz to be very useful. There's a lot of these "interior design porn" apps out there, but this was the one I liked the best and seemed to have the best selection of pictures for different tastes. Good filters for the search engine too

    http://www.houzz.com/

  8. #8
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    The furniture rabbit hole. A couch is an area you want to spend the most money as it will probably have the most seat time. After that you go accent chairs and then everything else. For a couch, I would stay away from boxed, chain retailers and find something with one location. The cost may be higher but the quality will be leaps and bounds better.

    Everything else, I feel auctions are a great place to find things. New England is a dense population area so you can probably find a ton of different styles that fit what you are going for. I am looking for some Chippendale mahogany chairs for our dining room and cost is variable based on how intricate the detail but auctions are a great place to save money. Older more solid built items. But like I said, a couch may be best bought new then everything else at auction.
    Thanks for the sound advice. I was thinking of hitting up some antique shops, but I didnt even think to look for auctions. There are always estate ones going on. I am going to check some out. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I can't recommend a particular store or brand, but when we moved into our new house, I found the website and app Houzz to be very useful. There's a lot of these "interior design porn" apps out there, but this was the one I liked the best and seemed to have the best selection of pictures for different tastes. Good filters for the search engine too

    http://www.houzz.com/
    Awesome, thank you. Another resource. This place is a honey-hole of great info. I had no idea where to look earlier, besides the big players in my area.

  10. #10
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    West Elm and Wayfair. Also check Craigslist for used items from Restoration Hardware.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •