Thread: Anyone else into vinyl?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)

Anyone else into vinyl?

Title says it all.

Is anyone else into collecting or just listening to vinyl? I'm more into listening than collecting, though for me the hobby is as much about the ritual and the routine of digging through stacks, picking a record, taking it home, taking it out of its sleeve, setting the needle, etc. as it is about the sound quality of vinyl over digital.

Right now, my setup is somewhere at the mid or budget end of low end, which may be a generous appraisal. I run a U Turn Orbit turntable with an acrylic platter and Grado Black1 cartridge to a built-in phono preamp to M Audio AV 42 monitors. I fantasize about upgrading every stage of that setup, but my discretionary budget, and my wife, just doesn't allow it. My listening room is small, though, and I'm pretty sure I'm squeezing every bit of performance possible from a $550 setup.

So, anyone else here down this same rabbit hole? What're your setups like? What's your dream equipment? I personally daydream about the McIntosh MT10…

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    I like vinyl. I have an old Technics table and an onkyo reciever with some paradigm speakers. Nothing special, but i like it. My collection has been lagging a bit lately but when we move out of this apartment into a house i definitely plan on a dedicated room for the setup if not a combination office/music room.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I had to give up my office/music room to make way for my kids' playroom, but when we eventually outgrow this space, a dedicated music room is a must-have in the next house. The plus side is that I moved my setup to a corner of the living room and so now music gets more play than the TV. It's fun to hear my kids ask to listen to the Minutemen or Patti Smith, or even some obscure garage sale picked jazz record with cool jacket art, rather than to see them plop in front of some cartoon. They inevitably ask about the music and the artist and I can more easily get to work developing the next generation of nerds 😄

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    I've got a small collection that I plan on growing, especially now that I am adding an office in my home. We have a few vinyl shops around town in Charlotte and a few of the breweries and bottle shops will do some "pop up vinyl shops" on the weekends. These are a lot of fun; have a beer or two while you trade, sell, and buy records.

I've got a cheap turntable, but I plan on converting one of the older record tables into a record player, iPhone/Android dock, wet bar combo. Just change out the speakers, add a better amp, and bore out the bottom for liquor and glasses.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    That's cool man! i got a little fella on the way, hopefully i can interest him in music instead of those godawful cartoon my nieces and nephew watch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by APinNC View Post
    Just change out the speakers, add a better amp, and bore out the bottom for liquor and glasses.
    I have a buddy who did something similar. Depending on the configuration, it might be a good idea to line the inside with acoustic foam. When my friend did his, he skipped that step at first and had to add it. The glass is super resonant and was rattling and humming a bit. The foam fixed it right up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha King View Post
    That's cool man! i got a little fella on the way, hopefully i can interest him in music instead of those godawful cartoon my nieces and nephew watch.
    Congrats on the kid. I have two boys and they tend to float around my interests, especially when I'm not trying and if I don't make a big deal out of it and let them come to it naturally. I listen to at least one record every morning while getting ready for work/school and another couple after dinner when TV would normally play. The result is they want to participate in those routines. It's cool to share things with them and have them pique your interest into things you might not have been into before. My younger son really responds to Motown. As a result, we listen to A LOT of those records, a lot of which I'd either never or only rarely heard. It's fun. Enjoy it when it comes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    I've been toying with the idea of starting. My dad has, what I understand to be, a fairly nice record player that he's offered me (with a modest collection). We recently added a room to our house so we have space for it now. I need to figure out what kind of setup I'm going to use and find a suitable table/stand.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    It's a slippery slope, @Deke. Once you start, it's hard to stop. Before you know it, you'll be trying to figure out where to store all the crates you've filled with the records you never knew you needed to listen to again. What kind of turntable does your dad have? Some of those old ones can be great if they were well taken care of. If they were, and if you pop a new stylus or a new cartridge on the tonearm, you can get a lot of life out of them.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Where would one buy a record player now a days?