Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else into vinyl?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    I missed this thread but I have some. Low end setup because most of what I like is the sleeves and records themselves... Also, the hunt through used stores for gems.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I missed this thread but I have some. Low end setup because most of what I like is the sleeves and records themselves... Also, the hunt through used stores for gems.
    Not to re-ignite the debate, but I'm very happy with my very low end setup. Where do you go in town for records? The only place I know is Criminal Records -- which is a great place. Little Five can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but it's actually a pretty nice place to go for a relaxing Saturday morning.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Little 5 has criminal and Wax N Facts. Wax N facts has a more affordable used selection and is more fun to dig in, in my opinion. Also Fantasyland records. If you travel up towards Athens there is the Record Booth and Wuxtry. Sweet Melissa Records in Marietta on the old town square. I also stop in Goodwill and any "antique mall" I see and check. Lots of misses on there but the hits have been worth it, especially goodwill. I also dont care about a pristine jacket so that helps. At 77 cents from goodwill I will give plenty of things a shot.

I love little 5. Some decent eating spots and a couple of record stores and I have a day set out. And if you drink beer you are doing yourself a disservice if you ahvent been to The Porter or Wrecking Bar. And Fox Brothers BBQ is just around the corner.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    I love little 5. Some decent eating spots and a couple of record stores and I have a day set out. And if you drink beer you are doing yourself a disservice if you ahvent been to The Porter or Wrecking Bar. And Fox Brothers BBQ is just around the corner.
    You're speaking my language. As I was typing my post about Criminal Records, I was thinking I'm overdue for a Saturday morning brunch at Front Page News. Their bloody mary bar is amazing. Wrecking Bar is great, and their pimm's cup is one of the best I've had. One of my fiance's and my favorite ways to spend a Saturday is to tour up and down Buford Highway and look at weird stuff and eat even weirder stuff. Also up there on the list of best ways to spend a Saturday --- head to Little Five, have a few beers, and look at weird stuff.

With all due respect to Atlanta's BBQ king - Fox Bros, I'm not the biggest fan. It's good food, but I can't handle the waits. My personal favorite BBQ place is Smoke Ring over in Castleberry Hill. BBQ is just as good as Fox Bros, and in my opinion, the entrees and items on the menu that aren't bbq, are better than what Fox Bros has to offer. Plus (and this is a huge plus in my book), Smoke Ring actually has a full service bar with bartenders who are worth a damn.

I think my Saturday may have just been planned. It might to spend the morning in Little Five, check out Wax N Facts, have some drinks, and get some bbq.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Brunch and BBQ places...dont get me started. Atlanta doesnt have its own style of BBQ but we have a ton of really good examples of all kinds around here. Have you tried Community Q down near emory? Or Fatt Matts? Or Heirloom over near cobb parkway? The Fox Bros Burger is pretty damn good and unique to them. Its what I get when I go and no it isnt ground beef. The waits can be long and I dont do them. If there is a wait over 20min, we move on. Pig N Chik has good brunswick stew. I have had many others but they havent been too worth mentioning. Havent tried Smoke Ring but have heard of it.

For brunch, head over to Decatur and try Sweet Melissa's and HomeGrown. We have been to no less tan 20 places in and around Atlanta for brunches and those are two of the few that get repeat visits. I feel like it is an understood thing but also, BrickStore for beer in Decatur. Food is good too.

I used to live over off of Shallowford Rd so I am familiar with Buford Highway. Monterrey is a common name for mexican places but the old one on Buford Highway is way better than the rest.

For your next little 5 trip, go to Porter. If you like mac and cheese, get theirs. The beer list there is very impressive. It comes on a clipboard.

Jeez...I am hungry now

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Last week someone asked me what are my hobbies. I told them eating bad food and drinking good beer. Atlanta isn't a bad place for either of those. I have tried Community Q (it's good), and Fatt Matts is always on the list of places I take friends who visit from out of town. I've never been to Heirloom, but I've heard so many good things. It's just hard for me to make my way to that part of town. There's a Pig N Chik that delivers to my home, so I eat it more often than I care to admit. And yes, their brunswick stew is some of the best I've ever had.

BrickStore is fun. Although, if I'm in downtown decatur I usually go for 246, Iberian Pig, or that burrito place (name escapes me) that's two doors down for Iberian Pig.

I highly recommend Smoke Ring. It's a nice place, and the owners are top notch people. It's a great place for brunch, too. Although the brunch menu is not very "brunchy." It's basically their lunch menu with a few other options. I used to live in the neighborhood and developed my love for Smoke Ring eating there on at least a regular basis. I don't go as often now, but it's still a great place.

I've never been to Sweet Melissa's. HomeGrown is great (if you can avoid the wait), although I'm not sure what I would ever order there besides the comfy chicken biscuit.

One my regular brunch places in Meehan's. I work in Atlantic Station and often find myself at the office on Saturday morning. If I finish at a respectable hour, I'll "reward" myself with brunch at Meehans.

Anyways, you're right... all this is making me hungry. And if I don't shift gears to focus on work, I'll be at the office on Saturday until dinner time...

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Will check out smoke ring.

Raging Burrito...great patio out back. Iberian is great. I still havent tried Cakes and Ale.

Homegrown...everything but the chili. Not a fan of the chili.

I like Meehans. Used to go to the one downtown occasionally. There is a new brunch place in Atlantic station. On one of the corners. Ate there once, was good but freezing inside and food was slooooooow...but it was brand new. Cant remember the name. Something generic like Diner or whatever.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    There is a new brunch place in Atlantic station. On one of the corners. Ate there once, was good but freezing inside and food was slooooooow...but it was brand new. Cant remember the name. Something generic like Diner or whatever.
    Yep - Diner. One of Ron Eyester's place. It's closed now. I think it had serious potential that never materialized. I went a couple of times, but (a) service was kind of crappy, (b) no liquor license. Brunch without booze is just late breakfast, and there's not better place than WaHo for a late breakfast. I was disappointed that Diner failed. Atlantic Station needs some better restaurants. Right now, the only decent dinner places are Rosa Mexicana and Meehans... and if I want Mexican food, I'm heading up Buford Highway (La Parilla is my go-to).

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Agreed on Atlantic station. Too close to a bunch of other stuff to be that lackluster

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    If you're a jazz or classical fan and you're not listening to vinyl, you're cheating yourself. You could establish a fantastic collection just by spending a few afternoons and $50-100 at Goodwill and the like picking through their records. Also, if you're in Maine or elsewhere in New England, Bull Moose is a godsend. In their flagship store in Portland they have dozens of $0.89 record bins. I just added three Artie Shaw albums to the collection last weekend. I also got a set of nine Beethoven symphonies, Toscanini directing the CBS Symphony Orchestra, for maybe $2. Try getting a deal like that for CD or digital collections.