Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Anyone else into vinyl?

  1. #21
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I've also started buying all new music on vinyl. In addition to the Amazon instant MP3 offer, a lot of new releases (and some vintage reissues) come with download codes.

    A lot of friends point to the cost of new music as the biggest reason to remain digital. But I think the $20-25 for vinyl is worth it for me because I get more out of the listening experience. In other words, I enjoy it more because it's more than just background din. And, if you think about it, $25 for an hour of entertainment isn't a lot. If you listen to a record only a few times a month, you've more than gotten your money's worth.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I recommend avoiding the crosley cruisers or any turntable with the speakers built in. A lot of my records were getting skips in them. The guy at the record store told me that the cruisers will do that to your vinyl if you listen to it at any kind of volume.

  3. #23
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whompuscat View Post
    I recommend avoiding the crosley cruisers or any turntable with the speakers built in. A lot of my records were getting skips in them. The guy at the record store told me that the cruisers will do that to your vinyl if you listen to it at any kind of volume.
    Absolutely. Any of the Crosley turntables you can get at Target, bookstores, etc. are nightmares. In addition to the skipping caused by the built in (awful) speakers, they're designed to apply A LOT of tracking force to the stylus, like in excess of 5 grams when even moderately better setups should register around 1 gram of force. This is done to compensate for the cheap parts and help the stylus hold the groove better. But it ends up being counterproductive because it wears out records to the point of damaging them, wears out the stylus way earlier than normal, and also increases the effects of any defects in the vinyl, causing more skipping than that which occurs from the speakers making the tonearm jump. They're just not very good for any kind of real listening and absolutely terrible for vinyl.

  4. #24
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverGuest View Post
    Absolutely. Any of the Crosley turntables you can get at Target, bookstores, etc. are nightmares.
    I disagree. I have a crosley turntable, and it serves my needs appropriately. I am no audiophile, but I do like music and I do appreciate the ritual of listening to vinyl. My SO and I get a lot of enjoyment out of putting a record on while we cook dinner in the evenings. Granted, we're not listening on noise canceling headphones and debating the finer points of Bright Eyes vs. Conor Oberst. If that's your thing, then perhaps a $400 "entry level" set up is necessary. But, if you want a little Billie Holiday in the background while cooking up something nice with your partner in crime, the crosley works just fine.

  5. #25
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Dubs View Post
    I disagree. I have a crosley turntable, and it serves my needs appropriately. I am no audiophile, but I do like music and I do appreciate the ritual of listening to vinyl. My SO and I get a lot of enjoyment out of putting a record on while we cook dinner in the evenings. … But, if you want to put on a little Billie Holiday in the background while cooking up something nice with your partner in crime, the crosley works just fine.
    This is true, and a huge point of clarification I should have made. I didn't mean to put down anyone who enjoys their Crosley. I'm sorry if it came across that way. My reentry to vinyl was actually with a Crosley table but my experience with it was horrible. It lasted about 3 months before the skipping issues started and that's what led me to researching their performance specs and what shaped my opinion on them. I think they're great for helping people catch the bug, and for the kind of light use you're taking about. I would still recommend against playing any new or nice vintage records on it or expecting to get significant hours out of it. Obviously, though, it's just one guy's POV. End of the day, I'm just happy so many people enjoy the experience of vinyl. Didn't mean to sound like a prick.

  6. #26
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverGuest View Post
    This is true, and a huge point of clarification I should have made. I didn't mean to put down anyone who enjoys their Crosley. I'm sorry if it came across that way.
    Not at all. I just wanted to offer a different opinion. I understand completely that not everyone would be happy with a crosley. However, there is a certain market need that they do meet.

    Like all things, it's a matter of relevance. If you're in the market for a racecar, you won't be happy with a ford pinto, but if all you need is something to take you to the grocery store once a week - the pinto might be the right answer.

  7. #27
    Varsity Member Deke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverGuest View Post
    It's a slippery slope, @Deke. Once you start, it's hard to stop. Before you know it, you'll be trying to figure out where to store all the crates you've filled with the records you never knew you needed to listen to again. What kind of turntable does your dad have? Some of those old ones can be great if they were well taken care of. If they were, and if you pop a new stylus or a new cartridge on the tonearm, you can get a lot of life out of them.
    Long delayed, but I finally got it the other day. I don't recall the exact model number, but it's a JVC (I believe something like al-fq555). I googled the actual model when I first got it (and it was fresh on my mind), and it looked like a solid turntable but nothing crazy special. I was told that the stock stylus was replaced with something like a "nude ruby" one awhile back, and apparently it really improved the sound.


    Now I'm trying to decide my speaker setup. I'm leaning towards using a preamp and active speakers, just for simplicity's sake. Anyone have any thoughts on specific equipment? I'm not an audiophile, but I'd like something that sounds good. For reference I use Sennheiser HD 558 on my PC (over Beats by Dre or a "gaming" headset). So, by no means top of the line, but still respected in the entry level audiophile world.

  8. #28
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    Long delayed, but I finally got it the other day. I don't recall the exact model number, but it's a JVC (I believe something like al-fq555). I googled the actual model when I first got it (and it was fresh on my mind), and it looked like a solid turntable but nothing crazy special. I was told that the stock stylus was replaced with something like a "nude ruby" one awhile back, and apparently it really improved the sound.


    Now I'm trying to decide my speaker setup. I'm leaning towards using a preamp and active speakers, just for simplicity's sake. Anyone have any thoughts on specific equipment? I'm not an audiophile, but I'd like something that sounds good. For reference I use Sennheiser HD 558 on my PC (over Beats by Dre or a "gaming" headset). So, by no means top of the line, but still respected in the entry level audiophile world.
    From the little I know of that JVC turntable, it's a nice model. I'm not 100 percent on my terminology, but I think the "nude ruby" refers to the construction of the stylus and cantilever. A nude stylus and ruby cantilever are supposed to provide improvements to sound, but I've never listened to a table using one of those carts so I can't say from any experience to what extent this is true. Any idea who manufacturers the cartridge?

    As far as setups, I'm using a built-in preamp because I tried to keep costs down when doing my setup, and U-Turn makes their own preamps so the quality-to-price ratio for the built-in I got was pretty strong. Luckily there's a bypass switch so if and when I decide to improve the preamp I can do so without having to replace my table. To your needs, though, I've heard really nice sound out of Cambridge preamps if that helps.

    I'm not sure if you purchased speakers yet, but I don't think there's anything wrong with active. I really liked the sound of the Audioengine A5 speakers and plan to upgrade to them eventually. If you want to spend a bit less, I've been very happy with the M Audio AV-42s I have. For about $140, they fill my smallish room with nice clear sound. I'm no audiophile, but I feel like they provide a nice range of sound.

  9. #29
    Varsity Member Deke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverGuest View Post
    From the little I know of that JVC turntable, it's a nice model. I'm not 100 percent on my terminology, but I think the "nude ruby" refers to the construction of the stylus and cantilever. A nude stylus and ruby cantilever are supposed to provide improvements to sound, but I've never listened to a table using one of those carts so I can't say from any experience to what extent this is true. Any idea who manufacturers the cartridge?

    As far as setups, I'm using a built-in preamp because I tried to keep costs down when doing my setup, and U-Turn makes their own preamps so the quality-to-price ratio for the built-in I got was pretty strong. Luckily there's a bypass switch so if and when I decide to improve the preamp I can do so without having to replace my table. To your needs, though, I've heard really nice sound out of Cambridge preamps if that helps.

    I'm not sure if you purchased speakers yet, but I don't think there's anything wrong with active. I really liked the sound of the Audioengine A5 speakers and plan to upgrade to them eventually. If you want to spend a bit less, I've been very happy with the M Audio AV-42s I have. For about $140, they fill my smallish room with nice clear sound. I'm no audiophile, but I feel like they provide a nice range of sound.
    It's an Ortofon X3-MCP.

    The A5 speakers seem to pop up every time I search for speakers, so I'm definitely giving them some serious consideration. I'll have to look into those AV-42s as well. I need to figure out how much I'm willing to spend

  10. #30
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    It's an Ortofon X3-MCP.
    I heard this cart demoed once on a vintage turntable and everything sounded really nice. Ortofon makes great products, so I'm sure it'll sound great with your setup too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    I need to figure out how much I'm willing to spend
    Story of my life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •