Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuffs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Cuffs

I had to buy a specific suit from Mens Warehouse for a friend's wedding. I am going to take it to my tailor for alterations, but i am not sure of the cuffs vs no cuffs question. They are "modern fit" flat front pants. Thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)

Cuffs

It depends on 1) the formality of the suit (cuffs are less formal), 2) the width of the trouser leg (wider trousers can look better cuffed), and 3) personal preference.

Personally I think slim, European suits look better without cuffs, whereas boxier suits look more balanced with a break in the trousers and cuffs.
    Last edited by theplayerking; January 20th, 2016 at 08:06 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbiscuit View Post
    I had to buy a specific suit from Mens Warehouse for a friend's wedding. I am going to take it to my tailor for alterations, but i am not sure of the cuffs vs no cuffs question. They are "modern fit" flat front pants. Thoughts?
    I would say no cuffs. Definitely not small floppy cuffs. The only cuffs I would do would be like this
    But that takes some balls to pull off and they have to fit perfectly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    Ask the bride. You bought a specific suit for the wedding. I cannot imagine a bride (groom?) requiring a specific suit and not having a specific expectation about whether the pants are cuffed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayerking View Post
    It depends on 1) the formality of the suit (cuffs are less formal), 2) the width of the trouser leg (wider trousers can look better cuffed), and 3) personal preference.

Personally I think slim, European suits look better without cuffs, whereas boxier suits look more balanced with a break in the trousers and cuffs.
    It is the charcoal Pronto Uomo Platinum separates from MW. It is modern fit, so they are trimmer than my other suits (I much prefer this new modern fit fit).

I prefer cuffs, but not sure of the flat front/cuff combo. I know it is done, but just gauging the forum's thoughts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I would cuff pleated pants or flat front pants in a very casual suit (tweed, triple patch, windowpane, linen, etc). I think a cuffed flat front conservative business suit looks funny. I am also not a fan of the #menswear 2+ inch cuffs. I think they are unflattering because they shorten ones legs and too fashion-y. Prefer 1.5-1.75 inch ones.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    It is the charcoal Pronto Uomo Platinum separates from MW. It is modern fit, so they are trimmer than my other suits (I much prefer this new modern fit fit).

I prefer cuffs, but not sure of the flat front/cuff combo. I know it is done, but just gauging the forum's thoughts.
    I would say only a slight break and no cuffs, but of course you should see what the others are doing.

Guys are starting to cuff that style of trousers (the most obvious example being the Suitsupply Jort), but it is a bit fashion forward.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    In general, I prefer cuffs. I used to go all no cuff on flat fronts, but I started to think I looked too tall and gangly, so I switched it up. I don't care what people in 19th Century Paris would think.

However, for a formal event like a wedding, I would go no cuff. It's just going with the flow.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    It is the charcoal Pronto Uomo Platinum separates from MW.
    This? http://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-cl...inumSSCharcoal

I hope there was a wedding party discount or a sale. I'd not be very happy if I were told to spend $600 ($700 with vest?) for a suit that I didn't choose. It might be a nice suit, but that's a lot of money for someone else to decide for me to spend.

Anyway, I'd still defer to the bride/groom on the cuffs, but assuming they have no opinion, I would personally say no cuffs on this. This is clearly a "tux lite" chosen to look formal and I believe cuffs are more casual. There may be some disagreement on that, but I've never seen cuffs on a tux.

If you really like cuffs, though, and the bride/groom don't care, then put them on. It's your suit, and if you expect to wear it more casually later, then cuff away. A tailor should also be able to take the cuffs off later if you decide you don't like them (but a tailor can't add cuffs after they cut off the excess).

If you're worried about whether cuffs go with flat-front trousers, do an image search on your favorite search engine (or Pinterest, etc.) for "cuffed flat front trousers" and decide if you like the look. If you like it, then go for it.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)
    I'm a no cuffs guy. I could be swayed, I suppose, to go with cuffs. Taking a look around my office though it doesn't seem as though many people are going for the cuffed look. Not that I'm on to follow trends. Just kind of how it is I suppose.