Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Allen Edmonds' bourbon

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)

Allen Edmonds' bourbon

As many of you no doubt know by now, a week or so ago, Allen Edmonds put all of its bourbon shoes into clearance, so they are available only as long as stocks last. It seems that there are right now a lot of shoes left but they'll probably dwindle quite a bit over the next couple of months. According to a question on their bourbon Strand page, they do not plan to replace bourbon with a new color, but I imagine that they will do so at some point in 2016. There's been talk before about them needing a shade of brown that: a) isn't reddish like chili, b) isn't as dark as their burnished brown, c) isn't as light as their walnut, and d) isn't achieved by burnishing an already dyed leather like bourbon but is medium-brown from the dye. Presumably the reason they're discontinuing bourbon is to work on producing an alternative medium-brown that is easier to maintain (also bourbon, for all the praise that Joe gave it on the main site, was never close to brown or walnut as a big seller for Allen Edmonds).

Bourbon shoes are currently $277 at AE or $217 via the Shoebank, but those prices will probably drop after a month or two.

Time to pick up a pair or three in bourbon or hold out for whatever replacement color AE eventually comes up with?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)
    AE's CEO said, at askandyaboutclothes.com, they're consolidating colors (read: no replacement color).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Any time AE Bourbon is mentioned in a thread, I'll suggest the AE Mora 2.0s in Bourbon. Embrace the double monks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    AE's CEO said, at askandyaboutclothes.com, they're consolidating colors (read: no replacement color).
    That's weird. A medium brown would seem an obvious staple. I'd have thought they'd do better to scrap either oxblood or merlot and just have one burgundy color than to scrap medium brown altogether.

Do you have a link to the thread in question? I don't have an Ask Andy account but would create one to ask him a question about this.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    That's weird. A medium brown would seem an obvious staple. I'd have thought they'd do better to scrap either oxblood or merlot and just have one burgundy color than to scrap medium brown altogether.

Do you have a link to the thread in question? I don't have an Ask Andy account but would create one to ask him a question about this.
    "Seaons Greetings AAAC Friends --

The OP is correct. We are taking a break from bourbon for a while and all of our bourbon shoes are on Clearance -- a fabulous opportunity for those who like the nuance of the bourbon look.

We've decided to narrow our calfskin color range down to 5 for 2016 -- black, brown burnished, chili, oxblood and walnut. We see our newly updated versions of both chili and oxblood as trending very positively these days and want to give them more focus this coming year. We're also working in production to be more consistent in our finishing and to make superior finishing more of a strength of AE. Reducing the colorwheel to 5 (4 browns) helps us in that pursuit as well.

So, if you like the bourbon look, it's "last call". Bottoms up.

Thanks for your support in 2015 and Happy New Year, everyone!

Paul "

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Thanks @winghus. I've now found the thread. It makes sense to focus on just a few colors and then extend the list later, but it reads as though they'll bring back bourbon/a new shade of medium brown in 2017 or at some later point.

I don't get what he means when he says four of the five are browns. I'd grant that chili is a brown, albeit a reddish brown, and so not a "pure" brown. But I can't see any brown in oxblood at all, so it seems to me that three of the five are browns. That's fine, but two of the three are rather dark browns (brown is very dark; chili is lighter but still rather dark) and the other is a very light brown. Eventually, they should have something like bourbon that is closer to a medium brown.

Also, they do still sell merlot and are not phasing it out, so it's not quite true that they're only focusing on five colors. They've just reduced it to three shoes - McAllister, Hopkinson, and Jefferson 2.0. Merlot's not on clearance in any of those shoes, though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)

Thanks. What do you think of this decision?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    The burnishing on the bourbon created a bunch of weird stripes ("more consistent in finishing"). Also, I think some of the bourbon looks greenish. I have one bourbon pair that's great and one that looks on the green end of the brown spectrum, now that I've been looking at it for a year. That being said, I may buy a bourbon Mora.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I love my bourbon mcallisters. Great medium-brown shade. I wear the heck out of them. If I didn't already have walnut and blank strands, I probably would pick up a pair in bourbon on clearance.