Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Alternatives to Suitsupply ties

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    I think buying used in eBay is probably the best bang for your buck. Although it depends partly on what style you want. I think with ties there is a steep curve with the marginal decrease in utility.

That is, for a small increase in quality, you get a big increase in price. There is also a price floor for even the cheapest ties. So the highest quality that you can get for a price close to the floor will be your best value.

Of course some tie makers have tend to have better looking ties, which is also important compared things like the quantity of silk etc. Some people might just prefer paying double for a red tie that is to them the right shade of red, just the right shape and just the right width.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    The higher price in ties can get you better fabric, better drape, and a better (easier) knot. Often you can also get better construction which may increase its longevity although this is a stretch. I have recently splurged into some higher end ties and the difference in quality between Drake, Conrad Wu, Vanda, Panta and let's say Brooks Brothers is staggering for $20-30 more each. The issue that I have with this is that it is soooo easy to ruin a tie, with a stain or pull/snug, that the investment is a high risk one. In contrast, investing more money in shoes or a suit that can be cared for and easily repaired if needed, is a much lower risk investment. From that standpoint, it makes sense to get maybe 1-2 higher quality ties, then buy lower end ties, until the rest of one's wardrobe is complete (suits, shoes, shirts) and then invest in higher quality ties.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I think I will splurge on some Conrad Wu's. Has anyone tried David Fin ties?