Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 LastLast
Results 951 to 960 of 975

Thread: Spier & Mackay

  1. #951
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Well this is fun... trying to stock up on more shirts with the Boxing Day sale. Normally when I buy from SM, I have to override a fraud alert on my bank card to process the payment (O, Canada). But I guess my bank isn't operating its fraud alerts because it's a federal holiday...? So I can't override and complete the purchase. Or call my bank to bitch about it.

    I hope my items stay in stock until tomorrow....

    [Edit] Nvm got through to someone at the fraud alert center and got my order placed.

    Wheeeee
    If this is something similar to what they do for travel, you can usually tell your bank before hand. Perhaps you could tell them that you often order from S&M or Canada if you don't want the fraud alert.

    I suggest taking with your banker and figuring out what the options are.

  2. #952
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    Funny you mention that @LesserBlackDog as the exact same thing is happening to me right now. Unfortunately for me I will have to wait until tomorrow as I actually work at my bank which happens to be closed today (Christmas observed). First thing I'm doing tomorrow is checking out what's still in stock in the morning.

    As far as the anti-fraud systems it really depends on who your bank uses as a card provider and what banking systems they use. If they use Jack Henry they can always put a travel notice for a few days and might be able to add an exception rule to your card (the latter being fairly unlikely). Never hurts to ask but if you don't buy too often it may be more work than simply approving a transaction every now and then.

  3. #953
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    I'm going to pull the trigger on sport coat today but I'm torn between the blue hopsack and the navy hopsack. The pictures make the navy look a brighter shade of blue. Does anyone know if that's the case? Has anyone seen both in person and have a preference between the two? Also, just to confirm, the slim fit is generally considered to be slimmer than J.Crew Ludlow, correct?

  4. #954
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,401
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    466 Post(s)
    I'd say slim fit is slightly slimmer than Ludlow, but honestly not by much. At least on me. I'm a 38R and the S&M slim fit is frankly perfect OTR for me. No tailoring needed. The Ludlow is practically the same, with juuuuuuuust a hair more room (but still perfectly fine OTR). Contemporary I'd compare to the Crosby, which also fits well but has a bit more room all over in the coat. Both Crosby and Contemporary S&M have had the jackets tailored. Not a ton, but enough that it made a difference in slightly-roomy to perfect. If it's your first purchase from S&M, of course, there's the one-free-exchange rule. I know it applies to suits; not 100% on coats but I don't see why they wouldn't.

    I'm kinda jealous that they still have the hopsack in your size. Mine's OOS in both colors, both fits.

  5. #955
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    IMO the navy is more of a true navy. The blue is like a midnight blue. Blue is a shade or two darker than the navy. I prefer the navy color but the 3 button of the blue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #956
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I'd say slim fit is slightly slimmer than Ludlow, but honestly not by much. At least on me. I'm a 38R and the S&M slim fit is frankly perfect OTR for me. No tailoring needed. The Ludlow is practically the same, with juuuuuuuust a hair more room (but still perfectly fine OTR). Contemporary I'd compare to the Crosby, which also fits well but has a bit more room all over in the coat. Both Crosby and Contemporary S&M have had the jackets tailored. Not a ton, but enough that it made a difference in slightly-roomy to perfect. If it's your first purchase from S&M, of course, there's the one-free-exchange rule. I know it applies to suits; not 100% on coats but I don't see why they wouldn't.

    I'm kinda jealous that they still have the hopsack in your size. Mine's OOS in both colors, both fits.
    Thanks for this. I'm trying to compare measurements against my Ludlow but their sizing chart is kind of a mess. Plus they don't list measurements for short sizes. I'm pretty sure they'll do a free exchange of your first purchase of a sports coat so I'll give it a shot and exchange if it doesn't work.

    I'm pretty surprised they have my size in navy hopsack in both slim and contemporary, and the blue in contemporary. I don't see that lasting much longer though.

  7. #957
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,401
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    466 Post(s)
    Aye, definitely not with the sale going on right now. Stuff is about to clear out. And that means room for the new stuff coming in....hopefully that ocean blue comes back because mmmmm daddy like. But the 38R slim was gone in an instant.

  8. #958
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I'm going to pull the trigger on sport coat today but I'm torn between the blue hopsack and the navy hopsack. The pictures make the navy look a brighter shade of blue. Does anyone know if that's the case? Has anyone seen both in person and have a preference between the two? Also, just to confirm, the slim fit is generally considered to be slimmer than J.Crew Ludlow, correct?
    As someone who has tried both on...
    The Blue is a 3 roll 2 button while the Navy is a true 2 button.
    Also, the Blue is from the new factory while the Navy is the last batch from the old factory.
    The Blue is slightly more "blue" than navy. The Navy is a true navy.

    The material seems nicer on the Blue, but I wanted a true 2 button so I went with the Navy. If the button thing don't bother you, the Blue is the way to go.

    Also, the slim is slimmer than J Crew Ludlow.

  9. #959
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Thanks for this. I'm trying to compare measurements against my Ludlow but their sizing chart is kind of a mess. Plus they don't list measurements for short sizes. I'm pretty sure they'll do a free exchange of your first purchase of a sports coat so I'll give it a shot and exchange if it doesn't work.

    I'm pretty surprised they have my size in navy hopsack in both slim and contemporary, and the blue in contemporary. I don't see that lasting much longer though.
    Comparing S&M 36S and Ludlow 36S:

    S&M sleeve is 0.98" shorter.
    S&M body length is 0.45" shorter.

  10. #960
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    As someone who has tried both on...
    The Blue is a 3 roll 2 button while the Navy is a true 2 button.
    Also, the Blue is from the new factory while the Navy is the last batch from the old factory.
    The Blue is slightly more "blue" than navy. The Navy is a true navy.

    The material seems nicer on the Blue, but I wanted a true 2 button so I went with the Navy. If the button thing don't bother you, the Blue is the way to go.

    Also, the slim is slimmer than J Crew Ludlow.
    I ended up going with the Navy slim only because the Blue slim wasn't available in my size. I can live with the 3/2 roll and knew that the Blue is made in the new factory with the softer shoulders. I have a feel that the slim might not work out though. If that's the case I will definitely exchange for the Blue contemporary assuming its still available.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •