Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target peacoat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Target peacoat?

Longtime lurker but first time poster. Y'all have been a huge help as I slowly but surely up my style.

I have a decent topcoat that I wear to work most days but have been meaning to grab a new peacoat mostly for weekends or just to switch it up sometimes. Not going to wear it a ton and so I was looking for something cheap. Then I saw the Style Scenario today featured the Target Merona peacoat, which is down to $40 right now.

My concern is that it's only 60% wool, and the 100% poly lining. Then again, I'll mostly wear it in the winter, so it's ok if it runs warm as long as it isn't too scratchy. Anyone have any experience with this, or with Target coats in general? I typically find the Merona house brand to be a pretty decent buy for the price, better than most people give Target credit for.

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    I like Merona stuff okay for the price. I did try on this peacoat and thought it was too short. But, I am 6'1" and thus am right in the range of stuff that is either too short or too loose often. I may have gotten it otherwise as it was pretty warm.

I don't know if this is good or bad, but every person I've seen wearing a peacoat (uncommon here, overcoats even less common) has been wearing this exact Merona peacoat. I would like to think it is because it is good, but it is probably because of the price.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Don't worry about the poly lining. Most coats have it. Especially at that price point.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2145 Post(s)
    It's a nice coat, especially for the money, but not very thick. Not compared to other peacoats I've tried on recently, including one from Lands' End and a US-made Schott 741n clone by Spiewak. The Merona one is more of a jacket weight than a coat weight if that makes any sense. I actually liked the shorter length though. If the shoulders were a hair softer and the collar a hair beefier I might have kept it for 'tweener weather, even after I got the Spiewak for a screaming deal on eBay.

Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    I liked it for the winters down south where I am but had to return it because the collar was too scratchy for me. Its a great price at the sales points and if you dont have sensitive skin like i do, then go for it.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    expect a single season out of it if you're wearing it every day. $40 is pretty hard to beat I suppose, but not very durable.

a friend bought a merona peacoat in response to me buying a USA made STERLINGWEAR navigator peacoat. 6 years later I still have the Good one, his is target peacoat is long long long gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks all. I worry about a scratchy collar, but short sleeves are good for me as I'm on the shorter side. For $40, seems worth a shot. I'll try it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Have you checked out Ebay or your local Army Surplus for peacoats? I found a slim fit Schott that fit like it was tailored for me on Ebay for 1/3 the normal price.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Have you checked out Ebay or your local Army Surplus for peacoats? I found a slim fit Schott that fit like it was tailored for me on Ebay for 1/3 the normal price.
    I concur
    $240 for a 32Oz DB Bridgecoat brand new from surplus, made in USA by Fidelity, then $114 for tailoring and replacing all 13 buttons on it...Brass buttons...really USA?

Then Ebay I got a Schott double collar leather trim Pea Coat, for $75 CAD, with tags still on it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)
    I've been eyeing a Schott for a while. From what I've seen online, even the navy is basically black, is that accurate?