Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suit Supply - An Unfortunate Experience

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Like others have mentioned, the OP isn't looking for a free replacement. He wants to buy, i.e. pay for, a new pair, but there's no easy mechanism for him to do so. This speaks more to another reason why it's so hard to commit to brand that only sells separates.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I know this wasn't the point of the post, but does this mean that SS can make an extra pair of trousers for any of their suits for $150?

I mean, I'd pay that for a second pair actually, if it was available. Especially if it was MTM and they could have it be abit roomier in the thighs.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverGuest View Post
    Like others have mentioned, the OP isn't looking for a free replacement. He wants to buy, i.e. pay for, a new pair, but there's no easy mechanism for him to do so. This speaks more to another reason why it's so hard to commit to brand that only sells separates.
    They'd probably sell him the pants if they had them to sell. They don't sell separates. So if they sell him pants what do they do with the accompanying jacket? Selling separates probably leaves left over inventory. At their office point it's probably not feasible to offer separates.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecharlesg View Post
    They'd probably sell him the pants if they had them to sell. They don't sell separates. So if they sell him pants what do they do with the accompanying jacket? Selling separates probably leaves left over inventory. At their office point it's probably not feasible to offer separates.
    I don't disagree with SS's policy, though I'd imagine a policy allowing for purchase of replacements in the event of questionable quality control, as this seems it may have been, would make for better customer service, especially at this price point. The inventory issues also seem relatively workable if it grew customers. I think SS is big enough at this point to handle it. However, I'm not in their business so I can't really speak to their margins or inventory, which is why I agree with their decision, even though I'd be frustrated if it were me dealing with it. That said, I view patching as no big deal. That's what I'd do without any issue.

But this is definitely one of the reasons I hesitate to buy suits unless I can get separates, especially if I'm far from the brick and mortar location.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahoodie View Post
    I know this wasn't the point of the post, but does this mean that SS can make an extra pair of trousers for any of their suits for $150?

I mean, I'd pay that for a second pair actually, if it was available. Especially if it was MTM and they could have it be abit roomier in the thighs.
    Sorry for staying off-topic, but to answer your question, I think it would depend on the fabric of your original suit. I have had a MTM waistcoat made to match an OTR Napoli, so I'm sure they could do the same with pants, and it would be more likely if it is from a lower line where they have bought tons of the fabric in bulk. There would of course be the caveat that different fabric lots might not match exactly, etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Friends, here's the update (with some good news):

To reiterate, I'm assuming the damage is my fault and not a defect or a result of tailoring. I just wanted to *buy* a set of new pants. SS said they would make the pants, in store only, from the same fabric, MTM, for $150.

Here are excerpts from the emails from SS Customer Service:

"I took a look at the availability of extra fabric to produce a new pair of trousers and fortunately we do have the fabric of the suit P2525I available in our blue-line tailoring service.To conclude, the only solution would be to purchase a new pair of trousers from our blue-line tailoring service. To purchase a new pair of trousers I would like to ask you to visit our nearest store because the trousers will be tailored in the store. The costs for a pair of trousers from our blue-line program are 150USD."

"Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, you have to physically be in one of our stores to order a trouser via our Blue Line Personal Tailoring. I am very sorry for this. Although it has not been launched yet, we are going to offer a new way to order suits through a 'suit configurator'. Via this new application you will be able to order a separate trouser in the required fabric. Regrettably I do not have any detailed information regarding a specific launching date. Perhaps it is a good idea to wait for this configurator."

Of all the ways to get it resolved... Instead of going to customer service again via phone/email, I followed my brother's suggestion and wrote them... on Facebook Messenger. Not on their "wall" but via messenger.

No joke.

The end result is they offered to compensate me for the price of the re-weave ($68.50) and kick in a $25 gift card. While I'd still like to buy a new set of pants, it looks like that's an impossibility unless I'm making a trip to Los Angeles. It's certainly better off than where I was 24 hours ago.

So the lessons are:

- You can't buy replacement pieces from Suit Supply unless you go to a store (or its listed in their catalog).
    - Using Social Media can be more effective than conventional means of contacting customer service.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Tibs View Post

To reiterate, I'm assuming the damage is my fault and not a defect or a result of tailoring. I just wanted to *buy* a set of new pants. SS said they would make the pants, in store only, from the same fabric, MTM, for $150.

"I took a look at the availability of extra fabric to produce a new pair of trousers and fortunately we do have the fabric of the suit P2525I available in our blue-line tailoring service.To conclude, the only solution would be to purchase a new pair of trousers from our blue-line tailoring service. To purchase a new pair of trousers I would like to ask you to visit our nearest store because the trousers will be tailored in the store. The costs for a pair of trousers from our blue-line program are 150USD."

"Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, you have to physically be in one of our stores to order a trouser via our Blue Line Personal Tailoring. I am very sorry for this. Although it has not been launched yet, we are going to offer a new way to order suits through a 'suit configurator'. Via this new application you will be able to order a separate trouser in the required fabric. Regrettably I do not have any detailed information regarding a specific launching date. Perhaps it is a good idea to wait for this configurator."

Of all the ways to get it resolved... Instead of going to customer service again via phone/email, I followed my brother's suggestion and wrote them... on Facebook Messenger. Not on their "wall" but via messenger.

No joke.

The end result is they offered to compensate me for the price of the re-weave ($68.50) and kick in a $25 gift card. While I'd still like to buy a new set of pants, it looks like that's an impossibility unless I'm making a trip to Los Angeles. It's certainly better off than where I was 24 hours ago.

So the lessons are:

- You can't buy replacement pieces from Suit Supply unless you go to a store (or its listed in their catalog).
    - Using Social Media can be more effective than conventional means of contacting customer service.

You would be going to Vegas, not Los Angeles anyway. The Los Angeles location (inside a bloomingdales) doesn't do blue line or red line tailoring, just in store alterations.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Well then that's 325 miles away! I'm glad I won't have to make that trip... At least for a suit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

No joke.

So the lessons are:

This is a fair resolution. This is what they should have done from the beginning. And your point about using social media is 100% correct. Good for SS for making this right.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

No joke.

So the lessons are:

I'm glad this was adequately resolved for you. Slight variations in fabric often prevent additional garments from being made from different bolts of cloth, but that was not a problem in this case. A highly skilled tailor would have no problem meeting your request if he had the fabric on hand. Perhaps the SS personal tailoring line is not flexible enough to copy the damaged suit pants. Maybe they can only work with body measurements for some reason. I'm curious what that reason is. If there was no reason, then you may have just been a victim of bureaucracy.

I'm planning to visit a Suit Supply in the near future. There are none close to my home. I wonder how much more I would have to pay for an extra pair of pants to go with a $400 Napoli suit. Maybe just $150 extra? Apparently I would not be able to order an extra pair of pants online.