Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suit Supply - An Unfortunate Experience

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Tibs View Post
    The damage consists of two small tears--definitely not from tailoring. These showed up after I got the suit tailored.
    Is it possible the tailor botched something? Did you look into it? If so, as @thecharlesg mentioned, s/he might be able to fix at no charge. Or even if the tailor isn't to blame, patching, at a moderate cost, could definitely be possible.

EDIT: It seems your other post answered that question.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Sidetrack, where are you getting a reweave done? There is literally nowhere near me that can do it and I've read mixed reviews about the most commonly recommended online ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I would have escalated the issue or tried contacting another store about it. If it truly got damaged (at no fault of your own) within one month of normal use, it's defective and the company should give you a free exchange. If not, then I would be hesitant to deal with them again. Other companies allow returns/exchanges for damaged items (due to manufacturer defects), including Nordstrom and Jcrew off the top of my head. You could always try to find a similar pant from another company, you might get lucky and find a good match.
    Last edited by fasteddie911; December 8th, 2015 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    A couple of thoughts spring to mind (and in no particular order) some of which have been mentioned already.

1. Have you tried escalating the issue with someone in higher management at SS?
    2. Is is possible you sat on something that tore/created the holes? If so, then I'd not expect SS to pick up the tab
    3. Have you taken the items in to your tailor to see if they can do a repair?
    4. Can you post some photos of the holes?

Best of luck.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Cheap solution:

If they are pinhead size, just have tailor apply a kevlar patch behind the holes and that would be great, but that's really really small, I wore a hole out in my rear pocket I haven't bothered to have fixed as it's covered. I'm surprised you noticed them, moths perhaps?

Crappy thing about suits is, the better the wool, the easier it can get wrecked >

Also if you mail ordered pants from SS, you'd probably end up paying about $50 in shipping, just mail them to the store 200 miles away, and have them remake you a new pair, isn't that an option? I can't see them not accepting you to mail them the pants and then making you a matching pair and mailing them, if they didn't do that then I'd really question their CS.

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie911 View Post
    I would have escalated the issue or tried contacting another store about it. If it truly got damaged within one month of normal use, it's defective and the company should give you a free exchange. If not, then I would be hesitant to deal with them again. Other companies allow returns/exchanges for damaged items, including Nordstrom and Jcrew off the top of my head. You could always try to find a similar pant from another company, you might get lucky and find a good match.
    Hmm, I bet it would cost me more in shipping to return the items than it would be to buy a new one....so that would keep many people away from it. Jcrews stuff is really really flimsy and wears out so fast, which leads me to believe they are charging $50 for a $3 shirt, I'd replace a shirt in a heartbeat if I was them.

Where replacing a much lower margin item after a month of wears might not be feasible, if it was pointed out right away then yup by all means replace, but would jcrew replace their peacoat if you wore it for a month straight to bars, parties etc?
    Last edited by shad0w4life; December 8th, 2015 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Cheap solution:

If they are pinhead size, just have tailor apply a kevlar patch behind the holes and that would be great, but that's really really small, I wore a hole out in my rear pocket I haven't bothered to have fixed as it's covered. I'm surprised you noticed them, moths perhaps?

Crappy thing about suits is, the better the wool, the easier it can get wrecked >

Also if you mail ordered pants from SS, you'd probably end up paying about $50 in shipping, just mail them to the store 200 miles away, and have them remake you a new pair, isn't that an option? I can't see them not accepting you to mail them the pants and then making you a matching pair and mailing them, if they didn't do that then I'd really question their CS.

Hmm, I bet it would cost me more in shipping to return the items than it would be to buy a new one....so that would keep many people away from it. Jcrews stuff is really really flimsy and wears out so fast, which leads me to believe they are charging $50 for a $3 shirt, I'd replace a shirt in a heartbeat if I was them.

Where replacing a much lower margin item after a month of wears might not be feasible, if it was pointed out right away then yup by all means replace, but would jcrew replace their peacoat if you wore it for a month straight to bars, parties etc?
    I'll add, I've become friends/acquaintances with a suit salesman at the local Nordstrom. They will not accept returns on any items that have been tailored or personally damaged. Their storewide liberal return policy doesn't apply to goods that have been tailored. Still, if you took something to every Nordstrom in town, one of them would probably accept the return. Same might be true for Suitsupply. If you talk to everyone possible, someone might okay it. I'll be honest though; I don't think Suitsupply is at fault. It's not there responsibility to provide new pants to everyone who damages their trousers.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Remember the OP is wanting to BUY new pants, I don't think he's asking for free ones, and SS is making it difficult telling him to drive 200 miles
    @Thom Tibs Have you called and asked to mail them to the store?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Remember the OP is wanting to BUY new pants, I don't think he's asking for free ones, and SS is making it difficult telling him to drive 200 miles
    @Thom Tibs Have you called and asked to mail them to the store?
    Yes, this is the key. A good customer service--the kind you want to spread around the internet and tell your friends--would dictate that a company use reasonable methods to make a customer happy. Here, this customer wants to BUY a new pair of pants, but he apparently hasn't been able to find someone who cares enough to make this reasonable request happen. That is the basis for disappointment here, IMO, not the fact that the pants developed holes after three wears. Come on SS, work with the guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Absolutely, assuming it was damaged due to a manufacturing defect and not user error or "normal" wear and tear. It says so on their website. I'm assuming the OP's issue was due to a manufacturing/material defect, but I could have misunderstood his description of the problem.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    If it's a weave problem, would it show up when you purchased the pants? If not...then I wouldn't expect SS to do anything about it either.