Thread: The Brooks Brothers 346 "line" outlet

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

The Brooks Brothers 346 "line" outlet

Hey guys.

Recently I got four 1818 Brooks Brother Fitzgerald suits at their "regular" store, and I want to get a few more, so a few days ago I got a chance to go their "outlet" store and found a Fitzgerald suit in their so called "346" line which is all they sell at this outlet. So I bought it, but upon bringing it home and comparing it, it's really not on par at all with the 1818 suits I bought at their regular store; the quality of the wool, the construction and the fit... I don't mind a really "cheap" suit that works well on me (as a matter of fact some of my favorite suits are cheap), but I guess I was expecting this to be similar to the 1818 suits and it's not. As a matter of fact lots...most of the stuff at Brooks Brothers and the other outlet stores I visited felt cheap. .............

I also got a couple Coach laptop bags at the regular store maybe 3 months ago, so I decided to walk into the Coach outlet store in hopes of scoring a great deal, and also found everything looked poorly made and cheap compared to the real store. Not the same merchandize

So I guess most of these outlet stores are just a way for these merchants to sell (Chinese??) crap they would not sell thru their regular stores and to give people the illusion they are getting the same things that others are paying more for. I guess I do like the fact that there is an exclusivity aspect for the things I am paying a premium for.

Anyway, I won't be visiting these outlets again.... What an absolute waste of time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    As you've discovered, much of the outlet mall merchandice is specifically manufactured for that channel, often at lesser quality and price than the main line. I don't think you have to completely give up on them though. Some items (Levis jeans come to mind) are of the same or similar quality. Occasionally items from the main line wind up in the factory outlet. I've seen ties labeled Makers and Merchants in a Brooks Brothers outlet, for example. BR Factory and Jcrew Factory, or whatever the call themselves now, are decent, although neither are as nice as the main stores. While lower quality, sometimes these stores lower prices may make the difference.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)
    As with most things in life, it should not be a surprise that you get what you pay for.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewCPA View Post
    As you've discovered, much of the outlet mall merchandice is specifically manufactured for that channel, often at lesser quality and price than the main line. I don't think you have to completely give up on them though. Some items (Levis jeans come to mind) are of the same or similar quality. Occasionally items from the main line wind up in the factory outlet. I've seen ties labeled Makers and Merchants in a Brooks Brothers outlet, for example. BR Factory and Jcrew Factory, or whatever the call themselves now, are decent, although neither are as nice as the main stores. While lower quality, sometimes these stores lower prices may make the difference.
    Thanks for your reply!
    I don't think I will be going back there because it's just far and inconvenient and no real benefit. I will probably have this 346 suit tailored and keep it as its not bad. It's just bad compared to my real BB suits.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    Others have said it, but I'll chime in. Outlets are almost entirely made of "specially made" items these days, not clearance of main-line items as most people tend to expect.

http://www.racked.com/2014/10/8/7573...et-mall-stores

Some are more honest and up front about this than others. J Crew Factory, in my opinion, is one of the most honest. You can expect similar fits to J Crew, but the materials (and branding) are clearly different.

Outlets serve some use for JCF and BR Factory, but avoid Brooks Outlet and their 346 line altogether.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    The
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperTexan View Post
    Others have said it, but I'll chime in. Outlets are almost entirely made of "specially made" items these days, not clearance of main-line items as most people tend to expect.

http://www.racked.com/2014/10/8/7573...et-mall-stores

Some are more honest and up front about this than others. J Crew Factory, in my opinion, is one of the most honest. You can expect similar fits to J Crew, but the materials (and branding) are clearly different.

Outlets serve some use for JCF and BR Factory, but avoid Brooks Outlet and their 346 line altogether.
    Thanks . That article pretty much nails it.
    That was probably my first and last outing to the outlets. Not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah, would never buy 346 even at cheap. Practically a completely different brand and different quality all together. Some people just buy brands though and wont really care

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    The only things I get from the 346 store are their shirts and ties. I've purchased both from the main stores, online, and 346 and they are not markedly different, especially their sport shirts. I have a mix of BB polos, dress shirts, and sport shirts from all of their sources and I couldn't tell you which came from which source without looking at the tag. I agree that the 346 suits are not a good deal without a HUGE discount, but the other stuff seems fine if you wait around for a deal. (e.g., I generally wait for 30-40% off or more plus a $20 gift card or something before buying shirts from there.)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    I'd be interested in Joe (or anybody) doing a comparison between the 346 suits and the JCF Thompson suits. With discounts, the 346 is right in line with the Thompson, and they are both all wool with fused jackets. I think the Thompson just gets more play around here because it's available online and goes on sale more frequently. I'd be willing to bet that the quality isn't drastically different.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    657 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    The only things I get from the 346 store are their shirts and ties. I've purchased both from the main stores, online, and 346 and they are not markedly different, especially their sport shirts. I have a mix of BB polos, dress shirts, and sport shirts from all of their sources and I couldn't tell you which came from which source without looking at the tag. I agree that the 346 suits are not a good deal without a HUGE discount, but the other stuff seems fine if you wait around for a deal. (e.g., I generally wait for 30-40% off or more plus a $20 gift card or something before buying shirts from there.)

I completely completely agree 100%.

The 346 ties can actually be a good deal. I've autopsied a number of them recently and compared them against a few of the mainline Brooks Brother's MAKERS ties, and differences between the guts and the outsides are all mostly imperceptible. They even seem to do a lot more less-traditional Tie pattern variations on the BB patterns at 346 that they don't do at the main store. This is refreshing to me, I feel like I can only do so many days in a row of the same BB#2 repp tie variations.

I feel like the non-iron shirts work fine, and look fine. The cloth isn't exactly the same, but the formaldehyde bath process they do through and the general sewing quality definitely seems to have the quality and attention to detail the mainline non-iron shirts receive. If you get the 346 shirts for some kind of 3 for $100 deal they're pretty good! Definitely comparable to other good quality non-iron shirts at the price point like CT or Lands End. The MSRP on a lot of them is like $78 however, and at this price they're pretty atrocious. There are a ton of better shirts you can get for even the $50 price-point that destroy the 346 ones.

None of the suiting at 346 compares favorably with other things at that price point. For the maybe $450 you spend on a 346 suit, you could get a considerably better-constructed suitsupply one.

I have a couple SUPIMA 346 sweaters that have actually held up incredibly well over two years of washing and washing. But I am not sure about the store overall. More often than not, items at 346 are misses instead of hits. Especially when they're relatively stingy with a real sale, and don't have information on a single item listed somewhere online to compare to other items in the world.