Thread: Clothing Advice

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Clothing Advice

I recently lost a lot of weight (about 135 lbs) and have to buy all new clothes. Before, My shirt size was an XXXL and now its a M-S. Because of my size my clothing options were limited. I want to get some shirts for work/going out. Can anyone recommend any brands (that aren't too expensive)?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    Please help us help you.

What is too expensive for you?

Where were you getting shirts before and why don't you like those? Or what is different you'd like to try?

What sort of shirts are you looking for? Work/going out is a little broad.

And congrats on the weight loss.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Most brands can be inexpensive if you shop their clearance and sales. Just need to nail your fit first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    @misterm - congrats. that is incredible, good for you.

I always have new favorites, and this site/forum always helps me find new ones (and hopefully bargains)

I love Nordstrom's house brands - 1901 & Calibrate are more modern, tailored cuts, that you can easily find on sale (think $25-45 for a long sleeve button up). I've also had success with their pants - although they tend to be modern without being 'boy band' skinny.

You'll also see a ton of love for J Crew & Banana Republic/GAP on this site. Depending upon your (new) build, your mileage my vary. I love GAP, but I tend to be on the 'thicker' side, whereas my brother, who is very slim, loves J Crew & BR. All of these have regular sales.

I will add that I recently bought a Lululemon button up shirt, the Commission long sleeve - easily my favorite button down EVER. A little pricey at $110, and on the casual side (I usually wear an untucked shirt with jeans to the office) - but SO SO SO comfortable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs455 View Post
    @misterm - congrats. that is incredible, good for you.

I always have new favorites, and this site/forum always helps me find new ones (and hopefully bargains)

I love Nordstrom's house brands - 1901 & Calibrate are more modern, tailored cuts, that you can easily find on sale (think $25-45 for a long sleeve button up). I've also had success with their pants - although they tend to be modern without being 'boy band' skinny.

You'll also see a ton of love for J Crew & Banana Republic/GAP on this site. Depending upon your (new) build, your mileage my vary. I love GAP, but I tend to be on the 'thicker' side, whereas my brother, who is very slim, loves J Crew & BR. All of these have regular sales.

I will add that I recently bought a Lululemon button up shirt, the Commission long sleeve - easily my favorite button down EVER. A little pricey at $110, and on the casual side (I usually wear an untucked shirt with jeans to the office) - but SO SO SO comfortable.
    Good suggestions on the brands, but more importantly I would start off slow and buy shirts/clothes one or two at a time. It takes some time to dial down your fit and style, and see what works for you. Also, you may gain or lose more weight, so see what your body ends up doing. That said, keep your eye out for sales, and give them a try. For most mall brands (J. Crew/J crew Factory, Banana/GAP) you should pretty much NEVER buy full price. BR/GAP has very frequent 40% off which is the minimum discount. J Crew, 30% is very easy to find, and J Crew Factory 50%, although they move their prices around more so it's hard to tell your discount sometimes. I would go to the mall by you, try on clothes and take fit pics.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    Please help us help you.

What is too expensive for you?

Where were you getting shirts before and why don't you like those? Or what is different you'd like to try?

What sort of shirts are you looking for? Work/going out is a little broad.

And congrats on the weight loss.
    I was thinking a price range around $0-$80. I was mainly getting clothes at Old Navy, JCpenney b/c that was one of the few places that had clothes that fit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the advice. I bought two shirts, though I did have another question. One of the shirts I bought is a dress shirt, that's a 16 and fits fine except for the neck. (Even though I'm thin I still have a fat neck unfortunately). Should I keep it since I probably am never going to button the top button or go exchange it for a larger shirt and have it taken it a bit? I'll post pics later on FYI.

Dmerch
    I'm thinking that if you're not going to button it anyway, and provided that it doesn't look weird--I.e., is stretched tight across your throat even with one button open--you should stick with the 16" if it fits in every other important way. Also assuming that it didn't cost a fortune. Like one of the guys said, figuring out what fits and how you like it to fit may take a while to get dialed in, so wear this one until you find another that's even closer to your ideal fit. It's a process, and is a lot more fun when you're happy with your body. Congratulations on the weight loss!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Here are some pics, the first shirt I got from Macy's. It's a Kenneth Cole Reaction:

The other shirt is a Michael Kors I got from Steinmart:

The blazer is a Van Heusen I got from Kohls.