Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 past choices that were just wrong

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)

Top 5 past choices that were just wrong

I've made a lot of style choices that were misguided, tacky, or just flat out stupid. All of this was a waste of money, time, and most definitely impressions on others. I've tried to put together the worst of them.

I don't know if anyone else has made such errors, but here is my personal top list of issues:

1. Waiter outfits. Dressing up? Might as well emulate that guy who served me fajitas last week: loose slacks, ill-fitting dress shirt, and clashing tie. More water, sir?

2. Beige on beige on beige. Khakis look good, yes? Why not just combine khaki pants, khaki shirt, khaki socks, and a khaki jacket? All slightly different shades, of course.

3. Green on green on green. Green is a nice accent color. How about many shades of green? Surely, that's even better. Forest, olive, grass... like a vintage rug, worn.

4. Cargo pants. I don't need a desk or a filing cabinet when everything can be stored on my person. Plus, there will no uncomfortable eye contact when I have several bulging pants pockets to gawk at.

5. Tucked-in casual shirts. When a casual outfit looks okay just thrown together and one needs a way to ruin it, tucking in a short-tailed shirt works every time; especially with shorts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    I'll still wear cargo pants. Noe ragrets, y0.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    I'll still wear cargo pants. Noe ragrets, y0.
    It all depends on how your bulge complements your lapel width.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Haha. No more than +/- .5" greater than your lapel width on either side.

I wear cargos when I'm casual, though. A cross between tacti-cool and NW grundge/punk/metal scene.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    Haha. No more than +/- .5" greater than your lapel width on either side.

I wear cargos when I'm casual, though. A cross between tacti-cool and NW grundge/punk/metal scene.
    Perhaps I was just breaking cargo pants in for the "natural grunge" look... ripping the seams ever so gradually. I wish you had helped me realize this could have been a sellable item before I gave them to those quilting people.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    In all seriousness, I would like some tips on dappering grunge if you care to share any.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Definitely did the waiter outfit when I wore navy chinos with a khaki blazer. Looked similar to the servers at a function, and I haven't worn that khaki blazer ever since.

A few regrets I have is:

1. Spending hundreds of dollars a few years back on roll top Timbs, both camo/black and wheat. Haven't worn them in a few years after I purchased 1Ks and Beckmans.

2. Buying 3 pairs of the same Jordans in different colorways. One would have sufficed, but I got three, and I don't wear two of them anymore.

3. Buying cheap LRG jeans, and boot cut Levis all off of Amazon before I discovered Gustin. Then buying more denim than I needed (15+ pairs). I've since sold most of them, and have only one pair that I wear regularly, Downtown Browns. Still trying to sell my Black2s, Ox2s, and another pair of Downtown Browns in size 33 slim (I'm a 34~35 slim now).

4. Before developing a style, I bought a lot of trendy Asian clothes off of Amazon and eBay. Ended up trashing all of them. Didn't feel they were even worth donating.

5. And overall, really regret buying a lot of cheap items instead of a few good quality items. Bought lots of BR blazers, lots of Jcrew clearance items, Jos A Banks dress shirts, a couple Brooks Brothers 346 suits, etc.

I'm still trying to nail down my style, and still keep making stupid purchases, but this time around I actually do a lot of returning, instead of keeping. I've nailed it so far down to:

Dress shirts: Nordstrom Trim Fit
    Blazers: Jcrew Crosby
    Suits: Jcrew Crosby
    Denim: Gustin, breaking in a pair of IndigoGene, looking at purchasing Momotaro/PBJ
    Pants: Bonobos
    Shorts: Jcrew Stanton
    Shoes/boots: JPs, AEs, Red Wings, Wolverine. Bought my first pair of Aldens in black suede from Jcrew, and have been eyeing some shell cordovan Aldens.
    Ties: Chipp Neckwear, Jcrew, brands on deep discount from Macy's
    Socks: Darn Tough Socks, and socks purchased from Costco.
    T-shirts: Gustin, Jcrew

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    5. And overall, really regret buying a lot of cheap items instead of a few good quality items. Bought lots of BR blazers, lots of Jcrew clearance items, Jos A Banks dress shirts, a couple Brooks Brothers 346 suits, etc.
    I made this same mistake, but I don't regret it. I learned what not to buy and what could be bought again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Definitely did the waiter outfit when I wore navy chinos with a khaki blazer. Looked similar to the servers at a function, and I haven't worn that khaki blazer ever since.
    Wow. I forgot I did that, too. We could have pulled this off together, though.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    My choices are based on things I spent money on that I don't wear anymore. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of these choices. If you like/wear some of the things that I consider a mistake, I'm not trying to say that these things are wrong for anyone else. Please don't take these things personally.

1. Skinny lapels. I actually thought skinny was the way to go. There seemed to be a lot of conflicting information on lapel and tie width online. Not a lot has changed. There are certainly at least two camps when it comes to lapel preferences.
    2. Point collars. I don't wear skinny lapels or skinny ties, so point collars don't really work for me. I have one I get a little wear of without a tie.
    3. Gingham shirts without a suit/sportcoat. I still wear gingham under a sweater some. Don't really like it with a jacket though. I got a few ginghams early on that sit in my closet.
    4. French cuff shirts. Every once in a while I'll break out a dark suit with a white french cuff shirt for something going on at night. Other than that my french cuff shirts sit in my closet. I even bought a couple french cuff gingham shirts which makes about as much sense as tits on a bull.
    5. Horsebit loafers. I never admitted in the other thread that I do in fact own a pair of this shoes. I was too embarrassed. I can't remember the last time I wore them.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA