Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Top 5 past choices that were just wrong

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pol.hack View Post
    My main regret is when I lost weight a few years ago buying a lot of pieces as I was still shedding pounds. I tired getting thm tailored but it just never looked right, so I wasted even more money. I was just so eager to get clothes that fit.
    This. I did the same thing. I have exactly two sport jackets left from the "mid-size" stage and they fit weird because of over-tailoring. I hardly ever wear them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Top 5 past choices that were just wrong

Almost every mistake I've made was a combination of bad fit and sales. I've purchased so many items that didn't fit because it was on sale. Most of my AEs, several shirts, half my casual clothes from Old Navy, etc.

Another big mistake was being too conservative and boring. Everything I purchased in my 20's was black. Every pair of dress shoes and slacks, every jacket, boots, sneakers, casual shirts to wear with jeans, t shirts, etc. Now my rule is never buy black (except my one pair of black shoes).

The other is not dressing my age. Until recently I would wear sneakers, cargo shorts, t shirts, flip flops, hoodies, etc. I didn't realize there were such things as boat shoes, fitted shorts, chukka boots, and proper fitting sweaters.

Lastly is buying too much too soon. I bought a dozen pairs of shoes last year and recently replaced almost all of them as I didn't know the style and fit. Last year I bought a black suit when I already had a medium grey suit and no navy. Goes on and on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    $5 Walmart cat shirt. It's not the screen print of the cat that I regret with a starry backdrop with the cat it chasing a laser beam - no, it's the stiffness of the shirt after one wash. Should've been a mix of cotton and poly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    1. White full spread collar shirt. The style was good as was the fit, but the collar was stiffly fused and the material was also too thick and stiff. Maybe I just need to wash it a few more times.
    2. Socks from Loding. The material looks great, and they were reasonably priced...but much too short.
    3. Navy suede loafers. The shoes are actually fine, but I regret buying the navy (which were in stock) vs brown (which I would have had to order). The navy look black in certain light and someone called them my black velvet slippers.
    4. Khaki poplin MTM suit from BB. I didn't know that the material was a poly-cotton blend (which actually isn't all that had), but I should have chosen a different model of trouser (they came out a bit too tight) and the jacket is too nipped at the waist. I can get them to adjust that though.
    5. Fully lined, a bit too short, not quite navy sportcoat. Everything about it looked good on paper, but I hardly ever wear it because it's not quite what I wanted.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    The tux I bought for my wedding was a three button, non vent, TRIPLE pleat.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    Lol. Man, another "mistake" that I actually like. I actually like sweater vests. I think they're BA. If you can pull them off, they can be a super sharp look, imo.
    Until someone convinces me otherwise, I'll say that sweater vests can be a decent sub for a true suit vest, coordinated properly with the suit and shirt of course.

I have a BR caramel color sweater vest that looks killer with a dark char flannel MK suit that has a subtle caramel stripe.

If the suit only fit me better... MK not known for Slim silhouettes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Biggest mistakes I prob made once getting into clothes more:

1. Bought 3 pairs of allen edmonds shoes. The first pair never really fit me right. Need to sell the 2 others still.

2. Bought a ton of ties (like 10) when I got a promotion at work, but never wear them. I seriously rotate between like 3 staple ties right now (grenadine navy, grenadine burgundy, light blue)

3. Bought a few MTM shirts for too much money ($90) in non-staple colors

4. Bought a few french cuff shirts. Have never worn them.

5. Let a brooks brother associate convince me to go with a 38R instead of a 38S in a blazer. The regular isn't crazy long on me, but the short would have been better. $$$

Mostly though, I think I've been pretty good about purchasing non-trendy staples in simple colors.