Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #WOmen'swear?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Not sure about 1 at all. I think the color range for women is far broader than it is for men. Women are far more likely to wear brighter colors than we are. (I'm not sure all women look good in the colors your wife looks good in). But it's also different. For example, a lot of us don't like to wear black. But clearly black is still a dominant color in women's evening wear.

Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    I'd say at the very least that a couple of things should be obvious.

1) the colors and combos that work for us should work for them
    2) they can still hit a "classic" look, just like we can
    3) there's still the basics of building a proper wardrobe that will work for them - just in skirts or pants instead of suits and slacks.

With those things accepted, it narrows down what to look at by a lot.

I agree that such things may be harder to find on shelves at any given time though. I also think there's quite a few more body types with women, as well as taking into account what color palettes work best with their particular skin. My wife looks horrible in anything off white (toward yellow), for example. She's got olive skin, and looks best in dramatic darks like navy, black, brown and gray...all of which correlate well to the basics of men's color.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    In Mad Men, Betty Draper tells one of her children at some point that grey is a men's color. I can't remember the episode. And now that I think of it, it might be Don's second wife - whose name slips my mind - who says it. But anyway, one woman does. Women are much more likely to wear yellow, green, red, even orange than men are.

(In the color list you provided, I think you should have included brown too, though. If you count tan as a light shade of brown, then brown is the major alternative color for all sorts of men's clothes. E.g. most of us prefer brown shoes, and even for most men it's the #2 color for dress shoes. It's the #2 color for sports coats, behind blue, and the #2 color for dress pants, behind grey. It's probably the #3 color behind blue and grey for suits. And it might well be the #1 color for chinos or cords).

(For what's it worth, I sometimes don't wear any blue, but that's because of a personal preference for grey and to some extent brown over blue, and especially navy).

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    We may mix other colors in there, but I would bet that 80% of us wear at least some navy (or blue) in our outfits every day. I find that most guys (myself included) lean heavy on the blues, greys and black.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    Not sure about 1 at all. I think the color range for women is far broader than it is for men. Women are far more likely to wear brighter colors than we are. (I'm not sure all women look good in the colors your wife looks good in). But it's also different. For example, a lot of us don't like to wear black. But clearly black is still a dominant color in women's evening wear.
    I don't intend it as an exhaustive list, only as a place to safely start (which seems to be what OP is after). Those colors generally go together well if a bit of care is exercised, whether for men or women. If a woman were building a wardrobe, I'd suggest a skirt in black, dark blue, and grays before I'd suggest one in yellow or red, almost without regard to complexion. I agree that women can and do wear more colors than men tend toward doing, and can generally wear more of it, but that still comes after nailing the basics of fit for her body type and coordinating colors.

I think fit for her body type is the real mystery, personally.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who feels like they are as qualified to talk about women's fashion as they are too discuss quantum physics?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecharlesg View Post
    Am I the only one who feels like they are as qualified to talk about women's fashion as they are too discuss quantum physics?
    No. I know far more about quantum mechanics.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecharlesg View Post
    I've been with my wife since just after college, going on 10 years now. The amount of time we've spent discussing the hows and the whys of clothing makes me at least qualified by proxy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    In the color list you provided, I think you should have included brown too
    You're right, brown IS a major player in men's fashion.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    So I have a slight off-shoot to what the OP asked. It sounds like his wife/gf/partner is at least interested in upper her style game. She is just looking for inspiration and places to get ideas (if I read the post correctly).

BUT what do you do when your wife/gf/partner has no interest in upping her style game? Or to make matters worse, her idea of style is to pick up some clothes from REI and then head out on the town? Kind of a function over form kinda deal. Then what's a stylish guy to do? Is it a bad thing when you are getting more looks and compliments than your wife/gf/partner?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    BUT what do you do when your wife/gf/partner has no interest in upping her style game? Or to make matters worse, her idea of style is to pick up some clothes from REI and then head out on the town? Kind of a function over form kinda deal. Then what's a stylish guy to do? Is it a bad thing when you are getting more looks and compliments than your wife/gf/partner?
    My situation is a bit of a hybrid of the OP's and yours. My wife is peripherally interested in upping her style game but totally refuses to spend time doing research or spend more than 20 minutes in a mall. The few times we've made big purchases I've been the one to do the research for her.

I suppose your position is dictated by your partner and her reaction to your sartorial splendor. If she's the type to feel left out or be a bit envious of the attention you're getting, then you should address the issue. If not, maybe just let her dress how she wants.

My wife couldn't care less that I'm the stylish one in the relationship. I might want her to dress a bit better (I affectionately tell her that she dresses like a well-to-do hobo), but she's the one who ultimitly determines what she wants to look like.

I wouldn't say that "it's bad" if you're getting more compliments on your clothing than your partner. It's just different. If you're ok with that dynamic in your relationship than I don't see anything wrong with it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Nowadays, I get the, "Why are you so dressed up? Where are you taking me?" when I'm in an OCBD and dark jeans with JCP boots. Meanwhile, she looks like a "well-to-do hobo", to quote @Danny. The difference, however, is she can get away with that look and I cannot. Although, she does get jealous that it's relatively simple for me to pull together an outfit when she tries on 4-5 ensembles everytime we have an outing.