Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #WOmen'swear?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    Interesting discussion. I totally agree that there's so much more that varies in women's style, and that makes it harder to say what's "classic".

Complexion, body type, desired fit and overall style all have a much bigger impact on women's clothing choices than for us guys. For instance, my wife's hair (pictured below) and light complexion make certain colors look terrible.

You know, this thread makes me REALLY glad I'm a guy.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    @Danny do you think a guy with similar hair color and complexion might have the same problems?
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    @thecharlesg Yes, but I think the impact is different. As a guy, it's pretty easy to work around, but women's fashion tends to be more "showy" (with more color and "louder" accents like colorful jewelry etc). There's also the fact that men have less hair, so it doesn't come with the same visual impact that long red hair does on a woman.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    My wife is in a similar place since having kids. My wife is also a nurse (studying to be a nurse practitioner) and so wears scrubs to work most days. She has a terrible time trying to fit her definition of stylish. While I don't have anything to add in terms of resources—my wife is just as lost and confused as many appear to be—another reason to be grateful for men's style has to do with fits. Relatively speaking, most regularly built guys who fall somewhere on the "dad bod" spectrum have an easier time covering their problem areas. We're not really designed with a lot of curves and angles. As many of us know, this still creates all kinds of OTR fit problems. But they're minor compared to what women face trying to find stylish, affordable clothes that fit well everywhere. Men's clothes also tend to be more easily tailored.

Long story short, this seems to be a common problem for regular women, especially as they enter their 30s and after having kids, and I'm glad to be man in this department.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    @thecharlesg Yes, but I think the impact is different. As a guy, it's pretty easy to work around, but women's fashion tends to be more "showy" (with more color and "louder" accents like colorful jewelry etc). There's also the fact that men have less hair, so it doesn't come with the same visual impact that long red hair does on a woman.
    My wife also has red hair and a lot of it. And god do I love that she does. But she also runs into similar issues trying to pair colors with her complexion. She feels she ends up wearing the same color palette all the time, which is something else that isn't really a problem for guys.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    She feels she ends up wearing the same color palette all the time, which is something else that isn't really a problem for guys.
    We may mix other colors in there, but I would bet that 80% of us wear at least some navy (or blue) in our outfits every day. I find that most guys (myself included) lean heavy on the blues, greys and black.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    We may mix other colors in there, but I would bet that 80% of us wear at least some navy (or blue) in our outfits every day. I find that most guys (myself included) lean heavy on the blues, greys and black.
    Haha. My wife just said almost this exactly thing to me this morning. We were getting dressed and I put on a light blue OCDB and a navy v neck sweater, dark denim, and brown iron rangers. Meanwhile, my wife was trying to match something much more colorful for a meeting. When I asked why she was so frustrated, she just turned to me and said, "You don't understand. You can wear three shades of blue at the same time and no one cares. When you want to get crazy, you just were a different color tie or a pocket square."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    My wife just said almost this exactly thing to me this morning. We were getting dressed and I put on a light blue OCDB and a navy v neck sweater, dark denim, and brown iron rangers. Meanwhile, my wife was trying to match something much more colorful for a meeting. When I asked why she was so frustrated, she just turned to me and said, "You don't understand. You can wear three shades of blue at the same time and no one cares. When you want to get crazy, you just wear a different color tie or a pocket square."
    This literally made me laugh out loud. Ah, it's good to be a man.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverGuest View Post
    Haha. My wife just said almost this exactly thing to me this morning. We were getting dressed and I put on a light blue OCDB and a navy v neck sweater, dark denim, and brown iron rangers. Meanwhile, my wife was trying to match something much more colorful for a meeting. When I asked why she was so frustrated, she just turned to me and said, "You don't understand. You can wear three shades of blue at the same time and no one cares. When you want to get crazy, you just were a different color tie or a pocket square."
    ...and that's just for the ones of us who give enough of a rip to do so. Being guy without a sense of style is even easier when it comes to getting dressed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Men's classic clothing—even cheaper stuff—is better made.

Anecdotally, I was trying on some shoes and I found a brand (which one escapes me) that felt nicely made, but their styles and prices were a little too much for me. I looked them up later online and saw they mostly made women's shoes. For a minute, I was excited to click over to the women's section... maybe I could get my wife some nice shoes. Nope. Most of their women's designs were flimsy, gaudy, stiletto-heel stuff. The ones that were not had stuff like gold beads sewn on the side of some type of $700 hip-hop sneakers no hip-hopper would ever wear. I was sort of floored at how bad it was considering the men's shoe I was looking at was just a monk strap with some subtle design touches.

I find this quality issue goes all the way down the line unless one shops very carefully or is not shy about massive returns. Western wear is an exception. I would note Western-style boots are just as well made in women's styles. Of course, not much difference there.