Thread: 10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    That seems rather over the top and you will get burnt out

You could probably do some compound exercises at maximal intensity and get results with far less time spent swinging a weight Eg. Clean & Jerk, Front Squats, Weighted Pullups, Bent over dips, Deadlifts, Pendlay Rows

I did IF and got a 6 pack(you can go search for my half nekkid body if you want to question it) took about 3 months and it was all heavy weight with pyramid structure trying to keep reps 6-10 range(eg. 100lbsx9, 90lbsx7, 80lbsx6) 45mins tops in gym.

with IF, when he says low carb on non workout days, really stick to that. Along with Meal delivery timing, even on workout days, eat carb meals AFTER the gym, not before.

GL!
    I know what you're saying, it's a ton of swings. But, it's only for a month, so I don't see myself burning out. I've done Smolov before, and that gassed me like no other. This should be cake compared to that. But I do plan on doing something like Berkhan's RPT once I finish this program, if I decide to cut more. Or Smolov Jr again for Squats/Bench, if I want to hate my life more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I've done the Dan John 10k Swing KB Workout. You're modified version looks okay, but just go with the actual program if you're able. It's not too much to handle, and I wouldn't worry about IF while doing this program. Just cut out processed carbs, and limit your booze. You'll need all the good carbs you can handle. It gets a bit boring towards the end of the program as the swings get a bit easier. I dropped a pant size, got shredded as hell, and my lifts improved (albeit not at the rate of a regular linear progression program). My conditioning went through the roof and my grip strength improved a lot. Your ass is going to grow a bit, so be prepared. Its a great program to do on occasion to break of the monotony of lifting. it's definitely a ball buster. Good luck

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aporter600 View Post
    I've done the Dan John 10k Swing KB Workout. You're modified version looks okay, but just go with the actual program if you're able. It's not too much to handle, and I wouldn't worry about IF while doing this program. Just cut out processed carbs, and limit your booze. You'll need all the good carbs you can handle. It gets a bit boring towards the end of the program as the swings get a bit easier. I dropped a pant size, got shredded as hell, and my lifts improved (albeit not at the rate of a regular linear progression program). My conditioning went through the roof and my grip strength improved a lot. Your ass is going to grow a bit, so be prepared. Its a great program to do on occasion to break of the monotony of lifting. it's definitely a ball buster. Good luck
    Awesome, I knew there'd be some here who have done it. That's great to hear about the results. Were you on a strict diet, or just minimized processed carbs and booze? I love a drink or two each night to unwind, so hopefully that won't affect my cut too much. Did you use lifting gloves or straps? I don't usually use gloves during my lifts, but after day three, I've got some serious callouses that make me worried to continue. Looks like it's a few more swings away from opening up. I will continue of course, but only after my gloves come in. And what part of the program do you think isn't ideal? The week to week increase in weights, instead of sticking to 55 lbs for all 4 weeks? Or doing 4 workouts per week instead of 5?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Awesome, I knew there'd be some here who have done it. That's great to hear about the results. Were you on a strict diet, or just minimized processed carbs and booze? I love a drink or two each night to unwind, so hopefully that won't affect my cut too much. Did you use lifting gloves or straps? I don't usually use gloves during my lifts, but after day three, I've got some serious callouses that make me worried to continue. Looks like it's a few more swings away from opening up. I will continue of course, but only after my gloves come in. And what part of the program do you think isn't ideal? The week to week increase in weights, instead of sticking to 55 lbs for all 4 weeks? Or doing 4 workouts per week instead of 5?
    I kept my drink down to about 3-4 per week while on the program, as I wanted to get pretty lean. I am not a huge fan of carbs anyway, but I just stuck to rice, potatoes, and oats.

As for the callouses, you need to buy a Ped Egg ASAP and start shaving those things down. My hands usually don't callous anymore, as I grew up working with my hands lot so my palms are pretty worn. Here is a video by Donny Shankel on hand care. His method work well, but you can always just follow the Ped Egg instructions; just apply the directions to your palms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otorSGl3sG0

As for grip and straps, I've never has grip issues as I've work on cars since I was 10 or so. I do know a lot of guys who had to strap up for this program until they were acclimated. Just get some lifting chalk and chalk the hell our of your fingers and upper palms; not the entire hand.

As for the modified program you have designed: you should get a KB that you are comfortable with and work on time, not increasing weight. This is a conditioning and hypertrophy program. Just use the 53# KB and go at it. I'd cut out the days of pure lifting and just focus on the original program. The deadlifts and facepulls are going to interfere with this program tremendously.

It's a only a four week plan; your main lifts will not suffer once you pick them back up. You'll be in fantastic physical and metal shape and be ready to start a nice mass building program. Good luck.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    If you want to mix it up, I would recommend some cross-training in the pool. Stretch beforehand and then start out with like a nice easy 10 minutes or 400m. Then do like 8x 50m sprints as fast as you can with about 10 seconds rest in between. You can increase this each week and for example do 10x 50m sprints on week two. I do this basically every day, and I have been known to lose 10 pounds in a single practice. I am about the same weight as you and share many of the same physical characteristics as you do, so if it works for me, it should work pretty well for you. This could be good to mix up with you weight training on alternating days. If you want to get swol then weights are great, but a combination of weights and cardio with a good diet is what will truly let you start losing those pounds.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

Recently discovered Dappered and just signed up for a forum account so... first post!

I'm a certified personal trainer and my day job is managing a spa and fitness center, if you've got any questions on swings or form I'd be happy to help out. Video is always easiest, if you can post a link we can check out your technique.

Congrats to everyone attempting this challenge - Kettlebells are a GREAT full body exercise, and strengthen the posterior chain which helps counteract the effects of sitting all day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Just noticed in reading this thread and checking out the T-Nation article that the KB swings are to eye level, or Russian, not the overhead, or American, swings. I go to a Crossfit gym for my workouts and we almost always do American swings, but it seems from the comments Dan John made in that article that he disapproves of overhead swings. Anybody know more about that?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi @burban, you'll hear pretty strong arguments on both sides. Adding the overhead component to a two handed swing does add some additional shoulder work to the movement, but the shoulder capsule is in a very compromised position at the top of the swing. It's possible to do injury-free, but wears on your AC and dramatically increases the chance for injury. If nothing else, to do it safely means using a lower weight than you could safely handle for a Russian swing.

To be clear, we're just talking about swings. I go overhead with a 50lb kettlebell all the time for presses and get-ups. Personally I think american swings put a lot of risk into the shoulder joint for a not-that-effective shoulder workout, but like I said, it's debated on both sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only reason that the "American swing" was introduced by the crossfit community was because it has a judging standard that is easy to implement in competition.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I do the Russian style 2 handed swings but not as many reps as you are planning. I have never tried overhead swings, but when doing the swing, I am barely actually using my arms, it is all in the hip pop. I usually do 50lbs and aim for 75 reps, and it is one of the most tiring exercises I have ever done.